The Student Room Group

How to revise for English Literature?

Hey, for about the past month I have been trying to revise for my gcse english literature exam on the 25th of this month. I have mainly reviewed all the simon armitage poems, Carol Ann Duffy Poems, Pre 1914 poetry,( By looking at my notes, CGP book and http://www.teachit.co.uk/armoore/contents.htm#lit)

So I have just finished covering the prose section of my anthology, by looking at the study guides and such but my problem is I'm not exactly sure what to do now. I know the main storylines for the Prose and what happens in the poems and the main ideas surrounding it but I have no detailed knowledge on what the exam requires me to study for...

I have about 10 days, what should I do, i'm seriously freaking out here:frown:

What do I need to be able to comment on/make comparisons on?
i.e subject,language,tone(??), structure for poems i think, but I think theres more, for Prose I have no idea at all. My teacher isn't being very supportive in this matter, so I've turned to TSR to help answer my questions.

Id anybody can answer what main things I need to cover for the AQA Spec A or the general points I would be very grateful.

Also how should I plan my final revision, by making comparison tables?!?!

Again thank you in advance!
First of all it's TSR :P
so I've turned to TSF to help answer my questions.

I'm going to be taking my exam on that day as well! Are you going to be doing To kill a Mockingbird? Well, whichever novel you're doing it would be useful to know it inside out so that when you get quotes it won't take you long... For the poetry you need to talk about language, structure/form, theme, readers response and your own conclusion... English is so hard...:frown:
Don't. You don't need to. Read something interesting instead, something thought provoking. Will be far better for you in the long run.
Reply 3
miscellaneous123
First of all it's TSR :P .

I'm going to be taking my exam on that day as well! Are you going to be doing To kill a Mockingbird? Well, whichever novel you're doing it would be useful to know it inside out so that when you get quotes it won't take you long... For the poetry you need to talk about language, structure/form, theme, readers response and your own conclusion... English is so hard...:frown:

Very sorry, my minds going crazy! I will tidy that up for ya:biggrin:

I'm doing the Short Stories for the prose section which is about 7 different stories(The end of something, Growing up, Your Shoes, Superman and Paula Brown's new snow suit, Snowdrops, Chemistry,Flight)
Hi, I didn't cover the texts that you have read this year but hopefully I can give you a few tips about exam technique.

Firstly in terms of poetry, the most important thing to focus on is imagery, ie what sort of pictures are developed in the reader's mind as a result of key words. About 50% of your essay should be dedicated to be talking about it alone, which I personally found difficult but just try and get in as much as possible. Of course also use textual evidence by quoting words with which relate to the point you are making.

As well as imagery, also speak of the tone of the speaker, is it written in 1st (ie words like "I" in the poem) or 3rd person, and consider who the speaker also might be. Furthermore consider if the poem has rhyme, what sort of rhythm is in the poem (for example when you read it, does it read slow or quickly, and consider why the poet has devised the poem in this way). In addition, theme in the poem and even if you can address the title and possible context of the poet and how it might have influenced them to write the poem if it is similar to their own experiences in their life.

In summary, key things to remember are imagery and textual evidence, but the other ones are important too. Another thing would be address the question. Don't ramble on about things that the question has not asked you. Try to relate what you are saying about the text to the question being asked of you. Hope this helps.
oh. Make sure you read those stories well then, I don't know anyone that's doing that... Try and make sure all your points are original as well as it differentiates the As and the A*s but don't just be original for the sake of it... Make sure it always refers back to the question and its advised to start on the poetry section first as its worth more marks and people underestimate it apparently,,,

anyway, good luck on your exam and I hope we both succeed ^^
Reply 6
You need to comment/make comparisons on form (whether it’s in blank verse/iambic pentameter)/Language (look at what words are used for what effects)/Structure (stanza size), also point out ambiguities in the text e.g. its polysemic, it can have more than one meaning, it shows you've got a 3D understanding of the text, you see it from all the angles, you know?
Reply 7
theoutsider840
Hi, I didn't cover the texts that you have read this year but hopefully I can give you a few tips about exam technique.

Firstly in terms of poetry, the most important thing to focus on is imagery, ie what sort of pictures are developed in the reader's mind as a result of key words. About 50% of your essay should be dedicated to be talking about it alone, which I personally found difficult but just try and get in as much as possible. Of course also use textual evidence by quoting words with which relate to the point you are making.

As well as imagery, also speak of the tone of the speaker, is it written in 1st (ie words like "I" in the poem) or 3rd person, and consider who the speaker also might be. Furthermore consider if the poem has rhyme, what sort of rhythm is in the poem (for example when you read it, does it read slow or quickly, and consider why the poet has devised the poem in this way). In addition, theme in the poem and even if you can address the title and possible context of the poet and how it might have influenced them to write the poem if it is similar to their own experiences in their life.

In summary, key things to remember are imagery and textual evidence, but the other ones are important too. Another thing would be address the question. Don't ramble on about things that the question has not asked you. Try to relate what you are saying about the text to the question being asked of you. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your very detailed answer! I really appreciate your time and effort +rep:biggrin:

So If I started making notes with the headings for each poem
Subject
Theme
Use of imagery
Tone
Rhythm

For the Prose section, I know you've said you didn't do the ones i'm doing but should I apply most of the headings for poetry to prose?

miscellaneous123

anyway, good luck on your exam and I hope we both succeed ^^

Thank you for your pointers! Yeah I'll most certainly try and stick to what the question is asking. Yup, you too, good luck.

Farooqi bean

You need to comment/make comparisons on form (whether it’s in blank verse/iambic pentameter)/Language (look at what words are used for what effects)/Structure (stanza size), also point out ambiguities in the text e.g. its polysemic, it can have more than one meaning, it shows you've got a 3D understanding of the text, you see it from all the angles, you know?

Thank you for your comment as well, so for starters I should look at the form. Sorry to ask but could you clear up for me what iambic pentameter is as i'm not sure. Blank Verse is where the same structure of lines is kept but doesn't rhyme, right?!
Yes, I think i do understand what your saying! look for more than one meaning.
Reply 8
d_aan
Thank you for your very detailed answer! I really appreciate your time and effort +rep:biggrin:

Thank you for your comment as well, so for starters I should look at the form. Sorry to ask but could you clear up for me what iambic pentameter is as i'm not sure. Blank Verse is where the same structure of lines is kept but doesn't rhyme, right?!
Yes, I think i do understand what your saying! look for more than one meaning.

Iambic pentameter is when a line contains ten syllables, with 5 iambic ‘feet’, each ‘foot’ contains 2 syllables, the syllables alternate in an unstressed and then stressed pattern, I’m not sure about this bit but I think Iambic pentameter has to rhyme, otherwise it becomes blank verse. As blank verse is when it has a regular metre (usually iambic pentameter in Shakespeare) but no rhyme. Yup look for multiple meanings. Like we're doing Blake at the mo, and i find that saying things like 'This line could be interpreted as..' 'however, there is also evidence that it could instead symbolise....' gets me the better marks, good luck!
Reply 9
Ahhh so evaluating the different meanings of the text is what your saying? Thanks for the help again:smile:

Also I'm going to start making notes on all of the poems and prose, the thing is I have no clue on what headers to have....

I know I should have:
Subject
Theme
Language
Structure( in prose is this how the story is laid out?)
Form(????)
Personal interpretation
Purpose of Writer's ideas.

Please can somebody help me complete what headings I should use for Poems and Short stories(Prose)???
Reply 10
d_aan
Ahhh so evaluating the different meanings of the text is what your saying? Thanks for the help again:smile:

Also I'm going to start making notes on all of the poems and prose, the thing is I have no clue on what headers to have....

I know I should have:
Subject
Theme
Language
Structure( in prose is this how the story is laid out?)
Form(????)
Personal interpretation
Purpose of Writer's ideas.

Please can somebody help me complete what headings I should use for Poems and Short stories(Prose)???

Well structure and form tend to overlap don't they? So to hit those two I’d say talk about sentence structure e.g. length, level and type of punctuation and whether it’s an imperative or interrogative etc as well as the stuff mentioned above. What do you mean with the heading for poems and prose though? Sorry if I’m just being a bit thick lol :colondollar: just don’t quite understand what you’re asking
Reply 11
i have a lot of notes on my memory stick if you wants - on duffy, armitage and pre-
msg me if you wants
I have a site I use, it is brilliant: http://www.teachit.co.uk/armoore/anthology/aqaanthology.htm

It also covers poems from different cultures too, as well as your prose/poems
Make notes on the main themes and for each theme make a pack of quotes which back up the said theme. Then make notes on language and structure for each poem, seperate your folder between the poems and then try to group them by theme, language and structure. Are you allowed to take the books into the exam? If not then read them every night. Also look for articles and essays online to add a bit of extra knowledge to your essay.
Reply 14
Past papers!!!
Reply 15
Farooqi bean
Well structure and form tend to overlap don't they? So to hit those two I’d say talk about sentence structure e.g. length, level and type of punctuation and whether it’s an imperative or interrogative etc as well as the stuff mentioned above. What do you mean with the heading for poems and prose though? Sorry if I’m just being a bit thick lol :colondollar: just don’t quite understand what you’re asking

Yeah, so form must be what the actual poem/prose is i.e letter, dramatic monologue, sonnet etc?

Like subject, language, structure, tone etc what else would I need?

Cheers again:smile:

Signe_x
i have a lot of notes on my memory stick if you wants - on duffy, armitage and pre-
msg me if you wants

Would you?! That would be such a massive help for me, as I need some good notes:P I'll pm you.

Charlisquigs
Make notes on the main themes and for each theme make a pack of quotes which back up the said theme. Then make notes on language and structure for each poem, seperate your folder between the poems and then try to group them by theme, language and structure. Are you allowed to take the books into the exam?

Thanks for the tip as well, the quotes idea seems very useful indeed, i'll be sure to use it.
No, we're not allowed to take any notes into the exam, they give us a clean anthology, so I think I need to read my notes, once I start making them....

No Funny Business and S_123 thanks for the advice. Business, I've printed all the study guides for all the poems, which helpmed be already but this should be ueful for people who havent seen them yet.
S_123, yup I'm in the process of doing that as well:smile:
Reply 16
d_aan

Would you?! That would be such a massive help for me, as I need some good notes:P I'll pm you.

send me your e-mail, and I'll e-mail em to you ^__^
Reply 17
May I ask a general question to everybody? This comes up as a criteria for an A/A* but I don't understand what I have to do under the skills descriptor
"insightful exploratory response to writer’s ideas/purposes"

I know it differs for what question I get, but what general things do I need to include?

Also for tone, if i were to describe tone in say Havisham, would this be along the right lines?
" The use of an oxymoron by the author creates a vengeful tone in the lines _____, the reason for this is that the contrast really shows her confusion"
Reply 18
d_aan
May I ask a general question to everybody? This comes up as a criteria for an A/A* but I don't understand what I have to do under the skills descriptor
"insightful exploratory response to writer’s ideas/purposes"

I know it differs for what question I get, but what general things do I need to include?

Also for tone, if i were to describe tone in say Havisham, would this be along the right lines?
" The use of an oxymoron by the author creates a vengeful tone in the lines _____, the reason for this is that the contrast really shows her confusion"

You could explore this further to say how the 'b''s sounds reinforce her bitter attitude, etc. Then you can conceptualise that and talk about how easily beloved can become a bastard and explains her distorted view on life after being jilted. I dont even know if it makes sense but you got to go beyond the 'appreciation' and then explore and even evaluate, by saying whether or not its effective; its basically your own judgement.

Thats the A* Criteria, which my teacher explained today so :smile:.

Good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending