The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
I'm just going from what I've seen and heard from a mate's experience:

Campus life - Alchohol, bars, films, parties etc
Education - He got a film studies degree so nothing to say there
Essex - lived here my whole life and you can find somewhere to do just about anything and it's right on the outskirts of London
Career Prospects - Depends on your degree and if you're willing to move or not.
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Hey man,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm getting in for an MSc Finance Degree. So i reckon there would b a few career opportunities atleast.
Anyways could u advise me on the accommodation at Essex uh?

Prefer living at private places.

Have fun .
Rohit bezawada
Hey all. R there any current or ex students from University of Essex.

Please do let me know everything about Essex.
Campus life, Education, Essex place & Career prospects.

Thanks.

Theres a couple on the essex forum as well as me

Campus life - theres a variety of things going on throughout the week, theres a club on campus, plus 3 level2/mondos, topbar and the student union. Town has more clubs and bars and a direct bus to it, and the taxi back is about £7 i think. Its not fr from london by train.

Education depends on what subject.

Most of my friends got a job when they graduated last year, but thats just in biomedical science.

If your on campus there are postgrad towers which are slightly quieter, but towers generally have the best social life. The quays are furthest away (15min walk form campus) but ensuite, the houses are often quiet, and the southcourts have the best social life of the en-suite, on campus.

Off site there are run flats like forest road house, avon way house and greenstead house, with a group of people to a flat, and no bills ontop of the rent.

Out side that theres houses/flats you can rent separately or with friends

More info on http://www.essex.ac.uk/accommodation/privatesector/
Thanks a ton for the info man.

Hey it would b of great help if you could hook me up with some one who's currently studyin or completed a Finance Course from University of Essex. That would help me to get a gist.
Reply 5
Hi,

I am currently studying Psychology, and I am really enjoying the course, the teaching is excellent, I really can't fault it. There is always something to do on campus, lots of parties that go on :smile:. The town the Universitiy is set in is Colchester, there is lots of shops, lots of places to eat, rollerskating, cinema, bowling. I lived in both South Courts and Avon Way Houses :smile:
Hey,

Sounds Interestin.. Can't wait 2 get there.

Nyways wats more convenient stayin on campus or private residence?

Thanks,
Hav fun.. :smile: By the way this is Rohit here ..
Campus means you're only 5 min away from lectures, you can get up later, and you have flat mates to start you finding friends. Those who live off campus in first year seemed to find it harder to make friends as they missed on out freshers week.
Reply 8
I would suggest you living on Campus. As a Postrgad student you will probably live in a postgrad flat which is gonna be a lot more quiet but you can still make some friends. Finding a flat outside uni would be difficult because you usually need to hook up with some friends and rent privat hosue together. Or you can find an advert for: housemate wanted and live with some people. Only that in private acommodation you need to pay your own bills etc and on campus you dont.
Reply 9
Anyone has any info about MSc in Computer Science at the University of Essex ?
I've just finished my first year there where I stayed in the towers.

Social: Drinking, clubs, films, societies, gatherings and other crazy things people come up with. I was never bored there once. Just make sure you know lots of people so there's always something to do.

Education: I study Computer Science and found the education very good in some modules but quite bad in others. One lecturer for this module we had would go off about his projects and what's going on with current technology. However he would briefly go through the notes and tell us everything is online and we can go through it in our own time.

I was lucky enough to have two great lecturers who I would say our world class. In the end I guess the great and bad balances out.

If you're having problems with the subject lecturers are quite helpful although you will need to take the initiative to contact them.

Advice: Live in the towers or south courts because there's nothing like rolling out of bed into lectures or the club.

I'm not sure of the job prospects but i know of some guy getting offered his job after 2nd year for £50k a year so he just left and is going to come back for his final year. There was one guy who struggled finding a job with a 2.2 so he just came back for a masters(during recession). Everyone I know who did a summer placement and got a 2.1 had no trouble getting a job. I just think it's important to let you know a degree doesn't give you the right to a good job and nobody has to employ you because of it. However good grades and work experience already and you'll be sought after.

Latest

Trending

Trending