The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah plenty. I thought I was a 6 on the mucked up scale and was about 40% i hadn't got an A.
Meteorshower
Yeah plenty. I thought I was a 6 on the mucked up scale and was about 40% i hadn't got an A.

Where did you "muck up"?
My close reading went alright, I think (not as good as ones I've practised though) but the two essays really let me down.
My first one, Dulce Et Decorum Est was pretty good, about the nature of appearance vs reality, only problem is that I took over the half way mark to finish it, and the conclusion was bad.
The second one was Macbeth (there was a better question for Lord of the Flies but I didn't know that book well enough). The question was about someone who is obsessed with something. This essay was awful, seriously. It consisted of me saying a quote, and then saying how this shows that Macbeth is obsessed. I never actually said what he is obsessed with, either.

Still got an A. I was overjoyed on results day. :smile:

If you think you've not done great, I know it's hard but try not to let it bother you for the next few months. There's nothing you can do about it now, and if you worry it's only going to spoil most of your summer.

I hope you've done well.
I did Higher last year and got an A band 1. I am sure as hell my marker was drunk because I remember thinking my exam went ******.
Thanks guys, I feel better.

Didd anyone not answer the full question for one of their essays and still get an A?

Choose a play in which a central character experiences not only inner conflict but also conflict with one (or more than one) other character.

Explain the nature of both conflicts and discuss which one you consider to be more important in terms of character development and/or dramatic impact.

I did this question, started off from the first sign of inner conflict, then focused on a major soliloquy in a scene, then the conflict with another character in that same scene. I talked about how both conflicts portray both of the charaters, and I talked about dramatic impact. Then I had to quickly write a short paragraph on what happens at the end with no analysis so most of the focus was on that one major pivotal scene. Do you think this is bad.

BUT

I didn't discuss whether the inner or 'outer' conflict was more important (as the question asked), although I may have leaned to one a bit more; I never explicitly stated. I think I remember writing "The inner conflict is important because.....".

How heavily do you think this will impact my mark?
garlicbreadman
Thanks guys, I feel better.

Didd anyone not answer the full question for one of their essays and still get an A?

Choose a play in which a central character experiences not only inner conflict but also conflict with one (or more than one) other character.

Explain the nature of both conflicts and discuss which one you consider to be more important in terms of character development and/or dramatic impact.

I did this question, started off from the first sign of inner conflict, then focused on a major soliloquy in a scene, then the conflict with another character in that same scene. I talked about how both conflicts portray both of the charaters, and I talked about dramatic impact. Then I had to quickly write a short paragraph on what happens at the end with no analysis so most of the focus was on that one major pivotal scene. Do you think this is bad.

BUT

I didn't discuss whether the inner or 'outer' conflict was more important (as the question asked), although I may have leaned to one a bit more; I never explicitly stated. I think I remember writing "The inner conflict is important because.....".

How heavily do you think this will impact my mark?

I did the exact same thing as you :frown:
Kind of the opposite. I came out of the exam thinking it went great and I ended up failing :frown: Re-sitting it this year and I think it went a lot better but still scared I fail it again
Dan-Scotland
Kind of the opposite. I came out of the exam thinking it went great and I ended up failing :frown: Re-sitting it this year and I think it went a lot better but still scared I fail it again

This does not really help.

I found the close reading a bit easy so I am worried in case I wrote daft answers. :eek3:

When you say "great", Dan, do you mean A or B great?

Do you by any chance know where you went wrong, I know you won't know where u went wrong but do u have an idea?

And what were your average marks in essays last year? (sorry, not trying to be nosy)
I thought I'd done the wrong essay question for one of the essays and I got a C...
Turns out it was the close reading, not the essays!
Just sat advanced higher :smile:
SelfishGiant
I did the exact same thing as you :frown:

That question was great for most plays but sure did ask a lot for one question. :frown:

Dan-Scotland has really disheartened me

Sail to the moon
I thought I'd done the wrong essay question for one of the essays and I got a C...
Turns out it was the close reading, not the essays!
Just sat advanced higher :smile:

Did you feel you had aced the close reading?
Reply 12
I die a little bit inside after every English lesson...
Reply 13
I sat english last year. After the exam I thought my essays went great but my close reading not that good. Turns out I scored 24/50 in the essays (could have been 11 and 13 which would have been a fail and a just pass) but 49/50 in the close reading which I never thought possible and pulled me up to an A! I think the marker must have made a mistake but I wasn't going to challenge it!
AlanC877
I sat english last year. After the exam I thought my essays went great but my close reading not that good. Turns out I scored 24/50 in the essays (could have been 11 and 13 which would have been a fail and a just pass) but 49/50 in the close reading which I never thought possible and pulled me up to an A! I think the marker must have made a mistake but I wasn't going to challenge it!

Huh?

:eek:

49/50?

WTF, what were you getting in essays in classs, etc (timed), if you don't mind me asking

Are you sure your school told you right because it is very difficult to get 11/15 for essays, One of your essays must have been 11 or under
garlicbreadman
That question was great for most plays but sure did ask a lot for one question. :frown:

I was doing Hamlet, and he's so passive-aggressive about the whole thing I couldn't find anything to say about outer conflict! I kept drifting into theme of revenge questions instead :frown:
Reply 16
garlicbreadman
Huh?

:eek:

49/50?

WTF, what were you getting in essays in classs, etc (timed), if you don't mind me asking

Are you sure your school told you right because it is very difficult to get 11/15 for essays, One of your essays must have been 11 or under

Yeah, I really didn't expect it!

Usually in class I was getting 15 or 17 for the essays consistently. In the very last critical essay practice I did in class I got 19 and 21 but the whole class got much higher grades than usual so I think the teacher was giving us a confidence boost!

The school doesn't get told what marks you got for each essay in the exam, only the overall essay mark, which was 24/50 for me.
If shared roughly equally that would give me 11 in one and 13 in the other. However, I could have equally got 19 in one and 5 in the other!
English is so unpredictable. :frown:
garlicbreadman
This does not really help.

I found the close reading a bit easy so I am worried in case I wrote daft answers. :eek3:

When you say "great", Dan, do you mean A or B great?

Do you by any chance know where you went wrong, I know you won't know where u went wrong but do u have an idea?

And what were your average marks in essays last year? (sorry, not trying to be nosy)

Right, sorry it doesen't help just thought I would give my input. To be honest, after the exam I though the Close Reading was very easy, lots of understanding and the essays went well so I was expecting a B as that is what I got in both my prelims. After finding out I failed I got my marks from my teacher and I think they were something like: 15 for one essay and 7 for the other. I got 7 on one because I answered the wrong question completely. My close reading was 15 I think.

I have absolutely no idea why I did that bad as throughout the year I consistently got 17/19 for essays and 30-35 on close readings. Must have been exam pressure, only reason I can think of :/

Hope that helped a bit more.
Dan-Scotland
Right, sorry it doesen't help just thought I would give my input. To be honest, after the exam I though the Close Reading was very easy, lots of understanding and the essays went well so I was expecting a B as that is what I got in both my prelims. After finding out I failed I got my marks from my teacher and I think they were something like: 15 for one essay and 7 for the other. I got 7 on one because I answered the wrong question completely. My close reading was 15 I think.

I have absolutely no idea why I did that bad as throughout the year I consistently got 17/19 for essays and 30-35 on close readings. Must have been exam pressure, only reason I can think of :/

Hope that helped a bit more.

This year there were more understanding questions than last year so.....

I don't know what to think, just as Heather says, English is unpredictable and that's what I hate about it. I wish they could release the answers now but I guess they have to add answers in that they may not have thought of, etc to ensure fairness.

Latest

Trending

Trending