The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Study Abroad From The US

So, I go to Coastal Carolina University in South Carolina and am planning on studying abroad at Exeter for the academic year of 2011-2012. I am an English major with an art history minor and was wondering what it is like to attend a British university.

How do the classes work? If anyone has studied abroad, which system is more intense - US or British? What advice does anyone have for an international, study abroad student? Which dorm is the best? How much money is needed for recreation and travel?

I pretty much have no idea as to, well, everything, so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
I think it varies for every different subject, and I don't study english so I'd have a diffficult time telling you how mny contact hours you'd have, but I know I'm a first year, and compared to friends at home in Canada and in the US, I have minimal minimal amounts of lectures/tutorials. They expect a lot more independent work than you would do in North America as the entry profile for new applicants states that you should expect to spend 40hrs/week studying; and have a couple 2 hour seminars and 1 hour/week lectures per modules. (Source:http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/english/english/learning/).

Halls of Residence vary on just about every aspect. Catered v. Self Catered, Ensuite v. Shared Bathroom, Single Room v. Double, On campus v. off campus, et cetera. I'd suggest taking a look at the online virtual tours of the accommodation

The university also has a guide list of the rough costs for a UK student living in catered accommodation and inclused some of the recreational stuff. I think personally the numbers are a bit on the light side and I'd probably budget an extra 25% to 50% just to be safe, but it depends on you and what you like to do, want to do while you're here. That chart of guide prices can be found here->http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/money/livingcosts/

Feel free to ask questions by all means or send me a message. As for the international bit I know there is talk of trying to establish a North American society for next year (which I would love!!) but there are lots of opportunities to get involved. The International Society does a series of weekend trips to points of interest in the UK for reasonable prices which may be of interest, and I'm sure there is some stuff that is specifically directed to study abroad students (and ones from your US university).

Hope that helps you a little bit! :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
I was talking to an American excahnge english major the other week actually.
The general advice I heard was;
Be prepared for rain
Be prepared to drink a lot
Food is more expensive
More outside independant work
More free time

Latest

Trending

Trending