The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel - Vietnam help

K, two weeks til the exam I've got most of my revision done but the only problem I have is with writing "turning point" or "change" questions.

I really don't know how to answer the following:

1) How far do you agree that the Tet Offensive was a turning point?

- So what I know is that it was a political defeat for USA but a millitary victory... but what I don't understand is if it was a millitary victory how do I argue that the Tet Offensive was NOT a turning point?

2) How far do you agree that Johnson transformed the USA's involvement in Vietnam in the years 1963 - 1968?

- For this question I know how he did change the war, by escalating it, but how did he NOT change the war?

Halppppp :frown:
Reply 1
defuzion
K, two weeks til the exam I've got most of my revision done but the only problem I have is with writing "turning point" or "change" questions.

I really don't know how to answer the following:

1) How far do you agree that the Tet Offensive was a turning point?

- So what I know is that it was a political defeat for USA but a millitary victory... but what I don't understand is if it was a millitary victory how do I argue that the Tet Offensive was NOT a turning point?

2) How far do you agree that Johnson transformed the USA's involvement in Vietnam in he years 1963 - 1968?

- For this question I know how he did change the war, by escalating it, but how did he NOT change the war?

Halppppp :frown:

Right, although i know nothing about vietnam, i can give you some general pointers. Got an A in edxcel history :smile:

Edexcel essays are all about balance.

So i would ask for both questions: What stayed the same after Tet / Johnson?
Reply 2
It worries me that I took this exam two years ago, and I swear I have never heard of the Tet offensive...

Latest

Trending

Trending