The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

reems23
Why on earth would you want to do such an awful thing?

To avoid reading Twilight, duh.
Reply 21
For some reason I've read all 4 books. They are absolutely terrible and are so so badly written. They're almost so bad they're good.

They're perfect for people that think that Dan Brown uses good sentence structures.
Reply 22
3nTr0pY
I hate that. I'm the kind of person who analyses everything and I always try to understand the deeper meaning in the books I read. On one level, books have to be fun to read - but if that's all you get out of it I feel like it's a bit of a waste. The best books shift your paradigm, they make you look at the world in a different light.

Btw, it's 'regardless', not 'irregardless'. Not that it matters, I just find it entertaining spotting things like that. :wink:

I find that a bit pedantic personally, but whatever floats your boat.
Reply 23
Raddi

There are so many great books, to waste ones time on Twilight is so foolish.
Reply 24
reems23

Well personally, switching off my brain helps me deal with my problems and get away from them.

If you're reading something absorbing, life changing and interesting, it's great but you can't always get away from reality.
StartSomething
Yes, read it if you haven't seen the films.
I read the books and loved them, then I saw the films. Now I think Twilight is gaayayyy.

"gayayyy" haha I like this!

I can't stand it.
I read the first book, and it's an easy read, but I didn't think it was amazing or anything, it was OK, but just a little boring at times. I reckon it's overrated compared to many other books I've read. You could as well give in to your curiosity and give it a try; you never know, you might like it.
Reply 27
reems23
There are so many great books, to waste ones time on Twilight is so foolish.

I don't agree, if it doesn't really make an impact on your life, then at least you can relate to all the crazy obsessive fans and understand the society around you to a larger extent?
don't do it... though if you say your taste is highbrow, you'd probably read the first few pages and decide it's not worth your time :h:
Reply 29
I would say no. If you really want to know what the book's like I could explain it in no more than two lines.
I understand wanting something light hearted and fun to read 'cause I do the same often, but Twilight really just isn't worth the time and effort. The authors writing 'ability' is astoundingly bad, yet despite that it's like trudging through deep mud just to get to the end. It doesn't help that she based it on a wet dream she had.
*Rant End*
:smile:

Anyway, there are much better easy reading books. If you're looking for vampire romance in particualr, I'd suggest looking at ones published before the whole Twilight phenomena, as since then all vampire novels have spnging off it's success and are when it comes down to it, the same.

[Due to fear of death by fangirl I feel I must add this P.S. and state that all opinions expressed herein are entirely my own, and apologise for any stress this revelation of truth may cause you.]
Reply 30
reems23

A distraction from other things?
Reply 31
Raddi

To be fair, I only did it in that case because I wasn't sure if you knew that 'irregardless' is not a word. I thought there was no harm in saying, anyway.

(If it had been what looked like a typo, I would have ignored it)
Your brain would benefit more from having a bullet fired into it than from reading Twilight.
Reply 33
DONT READ IT ITS RUBBISH! SAVE YOURSELF NOW! BURN THE BOOK!

but seriously, its rubbish, nothing actually seems to happen in the books? and its completely unrealistic (even for a fantasy book) and its just silly...

as you have good taste in books (eg, Harry Potter) i would recommend you didnt read it...
I think it's definately worth a read.

I tried them a year ago and I thought they were a tad overrated, read a few more chapters and then I was hooked. Oh, and i'm also a fan of the Harry Potters books.

You might aswell read it, you've got nout to lose.
What you got to lose.... just read it

Bit silly at times but some how it is good and ......

i am biggest HP fan in the world
I haven't read it, but my friend has, and said it was awful (as have many other people who actually like decent books).

The books are aimed at insecure 14 year old girls. They're ridiculous (as are the films, in my opinion). The whole ideas in the books are actually stolen from more traditional stories (wuthering heights, pride and prejudice) in which the themes are similar, and it's also stolen from very recent stories - such as the True Blood books (which are good for light reading and if you like fantasy).

In my opinion, don't bother. Read the Southern Vampire Mysteries (based on the True Blood series) by Charlaine Harris if you fancy something to do with vampires/ fantasy.
Reply 37
pamelaa
A distraction from other things?

Why can't something clever also be a distraction?
I loved the books, but the films are a let down. Harry Potter is a lot better, but there are some "morals of the story" in it. There is a lot of romance in it - for some it could be overwhelming but I chose to concentrate on the story as a whole rather than the central characters and I enjoyed it immensely. However, unlike Harry Potter, I found some books were less enjoyable than others, and found it a chore to read New Moon. Harry Potter, on the other hand, my least favourite is The Chamber Of Secrets but I still enjoy reading it - it's just the one I like least of an amazing lot.

Basically, I'd recommend reading them if you don't start cynically. You should just read them, if only to be able to form an opinion. I enjoyed them, and the detail in them, but if you don't like them at least you know and will be able to have arguments with the Robert Pattinson-loving Twihards.

Tbh when I read it, I'd seen the first film, and some of the characters in the films were the ones I imagined when reading them, because they fit perfectly, but Edward Cullen - he was almost faceless. He's described as being out-of-this-world beautiful, and the films don't do that justice.

So yes. Read them :smile:
Reply 39
mia_14
What you got to lose.... just read it

Bit silly at times but some how it is good and ......

i am biggest HP fan in the world

My sanity?

Oh wait, you're right. Good point.

Some of my favourite fiction books include:

The Lion of Macedon, The Day of the Triffids, 1984, the Harry Potter series, His Dark Materials, The Hobbit, The Darren Shan saga, some stuff from Terry Pratchett, Eoin Colfer, Anthony Horrowitz.

That said, the latter ones I listed stem from my early teens, when I did most of my reading, so idk if I still like that type of book anymore. I read some of the new Artemis Fowls recently and I found them to be pretty bad. So maybe my interests have changed.

Also, my favourite work of literature is actually a videogame:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psx/finalfantasy9?q=Final%20FAntasy%20IX

So I'm a traitor at heart.