The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

KaRiShM4a
Hey! how's everyone doing with revision? I'm finding it really hard - already started late so don't see myself doing very well :eek3:

Quick question: I was wondering if anyone has any good notes/resources for the literature poems? I'm with AQA doing Simon Armitage, Carol Ann Duffy and Pre-1914 poems.
Any help will be much appreciated cuz I'm struggling at the moment (exam's on the 25th) This is lastmin revision :frown:

Same here! I'm confused though, you know the paper to do with the prose (to kill a mockingbird, of mice and men, short stories etc), when is it?!

I bought the York Notes the other day and they seem to be quite good :smile:

And my revision hasn't started, I'm so scared!
Reply 2
Glad I'm not the only one :| If your doing AQA then your exam should be on the 25th aswell? I'm really scared aswell :frown: there's so much to revise and hardly any time!
KaRiShM4a
Glad I'm not the only one :| If your doing AQA then your exam should be on the 25th aswell? I'm really scared aswell :frown: there's so much to revise and hardly any time!

Yeah, I have got an exam on the 25th, but is it poetry or prose, or both?!

Eeeek ! Yeah, and we have loads of others too :frown:
Reply 4
It's both! I'm doing Of Mice and Men :frown:
KaRiShM4a
It's both! I'm doing Of Mice and Men :frown:

Omg :eek:

:eek3:

Now I'm scared.

How many times did you read it?
Reply 6
2 so far LOL! what about you?
Btw are you indian? :smile:
Omg! once :frown: And it was an audio book. But I think it went in alot better than if I had read it. I'm aiming to read/listen to it again this week and watch the film! Aiming though :/ (to kill a mockingbird)

And yeah :smile: Are you?
Reply 8
Ooo yeh do that :smile: I'll try and read the book 2 more times, maybe even 3. I don't mind it's just that I cba (too lazy!) How many lit poems have you learnt and what you predicted for english? & yeh I'm Indian (Hindu) :biggrin:
Yeah that sounds good :smile: Is of mice and men quick to read??

Erm... I would say probably about 15 altogether. The poems from other cultures is a separate exam isn't it??

I'm predicted a low A* , worried about whether I will get it though :/ What about you?

Cool, I'm Sikh :smile:
Reply 10
Yeh it's not too bad, 6 chapters with 116 pages :smile: What's to kill a mocking bird like?
I'm predicted a B but I'm aiming for an A because I was a few marks off in my january mock. Don't know if I'll get it :frown: and wow you've learnt so many poems :| I haven't even started - I'm the one who should be worried :| I got 12 to learn for literature and there's 8 for language but yeh that's a seperate exam. Their easy to learn so I can worry about that after lol comparing 4 poems is so hard, how do you structure an answer?
KaRiShM4a
Yeh it's not too bad, 6 chapters with 116 pages :smile: What's to kill a mocking bird like?
I'm predicted a B but I'm aiming for an A because I was a few marks off in my january mock. Don't know if I'll get it :frown: and wow you've learnt so many poems :| I haven't even started - I'm the one who should be worried :| I got 12 to learn for literature and there's 8 for language but yeh that's a seperate exam. Their easy to learn so I can worry about that after lol comparing 4 poems is so hard, how do you structure an answer?

31 chapters, 309 pages :/ But I know I can go through it at least 1 more time.

Yeah I'm sure you can get it! Just believe you can is all I can say :smile: I'm worried about my predicted grade but I know I've got it in me, you just need to think the same.

So you haven't learnt these in school?!

I can give you some tips on the comparing thing, we've been looking at this for a while.

My teacher taught us the "wardrobe method".

Just made this picture on Paint now for you :smile: Hope it helps! When I start revising that I'll come back here and let you know if I have any other useful tips.

Basically it's supposed to represent what proportion you should write about each poem. My teacher said that you should definitely write about all four, but you should write in more detail about the first two and then less on the third, and then less on the fourth, but still make good points.
Reply 12
Yeh I've learnt them in school but my literature teacher was pretty **** and she left for maternity leave so we rushed everything. That's why I'm finding it hard, I don't even understand them properly :angry: I hate these poems with PASSION!
Gosh, poems are a piece of cake compared to the prose! We were the only class who had to do Lord of the Flies, the rest could do Of Mice and Men

Ahh, I'm doing the other set (Heaney and Clarke) We got given revision notes on them so it's quite easy. Look at it this way, at least they take less time to read than books.
KaRiShM4a
Yeh I've learnt them in school but my literature teacher was pretty **** and she left for maternity leave so we rushed everything. That's why I'm finding it hard, I don't even understand them properly :angry: I hate these poems with PASSION!

Like I said, get the York Notes :smile: Once you've got a general idea of what the poems are about, it will be much easier for you to understand them and then you can think about it in your own way. Did the picture help at all?
look pm me if you want ill send you some notes for poems.
Reply 16
Oi U Lot Am Having The Same Problem..stressin Cuz I Thought There Would Be Magiacally More Time..but Its Soooo Soon...am Doin Mice And Men..and Poems....how R U Lot Revsing At The Moment
Reply 17
i've got some pretty decent notes on duffy, armatige, pre-1914.
pm me your e-mail if you want them ^__^
Reply 18
KaRiShM4a

Structure wise I did:
Intro: - main point that occurs in all 4 (make a clear judgement on what you're discussing)
P1: - Poem 1 - analysis, structure, themes, lang etc. (check your spec for what is required I can't quite remember...) and how this creates the main point you mentioned in intro
P2: - Poem 2 - compare with poem 1, how it incoperates same theme, but comment seperatly on same sort of stuff
P3: - Poem 3 - again to make sure your paragraphs link write something about the sim/dif on how theme is portrayed compared to poem 1 and poem 2 and comment on fewer things (probably 2 shorter points - other two poems I did around 3-5 developed points)
P4: Poem 4/conclusion - how this poem creates the theme/ new outlook analysis and incoperate conclusion into this (1 developed point)
Reply 19
I am going to DIE in this exam :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending