The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think they're good for the science subjects, probably crap for everything else.
I like them :smile:
They're good if you're struggling in the subject. It certainly makes it easier to understand and follow. But don't really on them solely, like I said it's easier to understand but that's cos it makes it a bit more simple so once you understand it all, go into detail with other books/do past papers if you want to secure the top grade for whatever subject.
They were a life saver when I was studying for my Maths, Science, DT and French GCSE's, though I never used them during my A Levels as we were recommended other textbooks.
i loooveed them, literally saved my gcse :woo:
Reply 25
I think they're good, but can be better/worse depending on the subject.

At A level there isn't a good enough range. I have one for psychology, but I don't find it brilliant for A2 psychology due to the in depth knowledge we need for the essays. I don't have one for my other two subjects, so at A level I guess they haven't been that important.

At GCSE I found them really useful.
Reply 26
I've been using them for GCSE Science and they've been helpful. Not overrated, not underrated.
I find the formatting slightly excessive, and there's not enough depth in them.

And as for the jokes... :facepalm:
Reply 28
matt^
the best thing about them by far is the little joke on the back cover above the barcode!!!!!!!!

I've only just noticed that :p:

The back of my maths revison guide:

"CGP action against igorance:
Goldfish flakes are not made from Goldfish"

:o:
Reply 29
just use for bio-very good
They are a good supplement to text books as they can simplify and clarify things.
Someone had left a GCSE Physics one on a desk in a Physics lab the other day, on the back it said "CGP: We know how goats think. If goats used revision guides, they'd be CGP."

I think it depends on the subject. They were really useful for most things at GCSE, although I found the English & English Lit ones didn't really go into enough detail. I've only used them for Geography & Physics so far at AS and those ones are quite good, they cover everything we did in class quite well, although a couple of areas are lacking in detail, whilst there's loads of detail in others.
Matthew Higgins
I don't like them.

They don't go into much detail, and often include distracting and childish references, which would be a good laugh if you were 11, but when you're actually trying to work for A levels, it gets a bit tedious.

This is a commonly quoted reason why people do not like them. I say to these people, just ignore them!
Reply 33
Underrated imo. I use them for biology and chemistry and they provide a good starting point for when I write my own revision notes.
Reply 34
I found their AS sociology book amazing.
The OCR chem one is great...Bob the revision goat and the rate constant "in its true form" as an alien are brilliant :biggrin: breaks up the monotony of revision.
Reply 36
I get the sense that they are brilliant but only up to GCSE level. At A-level when you've matured a bit (well for most people), bright colours, funny pictures and average jokes don't really make a difference any more in motivating you to learn.
I think they are really good :yep:
Reply 38
I use the Physics and Chemistry revision books by CGP. The jokes are okay but sometimes lame, but it does give some motivation to study the stuff.
Everything is given short and sweet, so it is useful for last minute touching up. Most of the important stuff are covered, and I didn't notice anything much left out.
Their layouts are shocking. I simply can not follow them. they don't cover everything yet sometimes cram so much waffle onto one page... I really hated them at GCSE and just hate them more at A level. I think it depends on lot on how you learn best etc as to whether or not you find them useful.

Latest