The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Top one because that's what I'm doing :biggrin:
Reply 41
FillhouseMining
which one already accept you? LSE? Oxbridge? Cambridge?

LSE and Cambridge. You can't apply to Oxford and Cambridge for a first undergrad degree in the same year. And Oxbridge is a term used to describe OXford and camBRIDGE.
Reply 42
FillhouseMining
thank you very much for your advise. so i should choose Maths, FM, Econs, Geography?

In my previous post, I have made the point that Philosophy may be seen as a 'weak' subject by some university. However I may have been wrong as pointed out by others, so I think you should check it out yourself by phoning up the uni's and asking. On the subject of A-level 'sociology', I'm pretty certain that LSE and Oxford would not view it as well as other 'traditional' subjects but I think they are generally ok with it as long as it is a fourth A-level. So in other words, you must have at least three strong and traditional subjects. I'm sure you want to maximise your chances of getting in, so if I were you, I wouldn't take sociology.

Now onto your question, in my opinion, this: 'Maths, FM, Econs, Geography'

would be slightly stronger than: 'Maths, FM, Econs, Physics'

So my personal advise for you would be to take Geography instead of Physics. However you have to understand that Geography involve questions which require very long answers (essay style in some questions) and that there are many case studies to learn. So ask yourself, are you more comfortably with Geography or Physics?
W.H.T
Now onto your question, in my opinion, this: 'Maths, FM, Econs, Geography'

would be slightly stronger than: 'Maths, FM, Econs, Physics'

So my personal advise for you would be to take Geography instead of Physics. However you have to understand that Geography involve questions which require very long answers (essay style in some questions) and that there are many case studies to learn. So ask yourself, are you more comfortably with Geography or Physics?

Why is Geography going to be stronger than Physics? Economics is a very maths based degree, and Physics is very closely linked to maths. It would also limit the OP's future if they decided they wanted to do something like engineering or maths instead of economics (since lots of maths applicants have physics, and you won't get anywhere near engineering without physics). What is geography going to bring to any of this (including economics), other than being a 'contrasting' subject which isn't really needed?
Reply 44
Duckzilla
Why is Geography going to be stronger than Physics? Economics is a very maths based degree, and Physics is very closely linked to maths. It would also limit the OP's future if they decided they wanted to do something like engineering or maths instead of economics (since lots of maths applicants have physics, and you won't get anywhere near engineering without physics). What is geography going to bring to any of this (including economics), other than being a 'contrasting' subject which isn't really needed?

If you're asking me why I think in general Geography is stronger than Physics, I don't. Its hard to compare them since they are so different from each other, but they are both seen to be strong and 'traditional' by all uni's.

However, given the situation of OP, I do think its better to take Geography instead of Physics. Look, I think what you're trying to say about taking physics, is that its mathematical and therefore prepares OP well for degree level economics. However, he is already planning to take maths and further maths, therefore doing physics won't really add much in preparing him for degree level economics or to show to the uni's that he is a capable person with maths.

I think its important to demonstrate to the uni's that you aren't a one dimensional person and that you are capable in other areas other than science. What Geography and Economics bring, is that they teach him to think 'out of the box' which is an important quality to have if you want to suceed in life in any field. Economics at uni is highly mathematical, but at the same time, it is a social science so you have be able to understand other areas and not just maths.

OP never mentioned about the possibility of doing engineering, so I just gave my opinion based on the assumption that he is planning to do Economics.
Reply 45
FillhouseMining
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Sociology/philosophy

which one do you prefer from this A-level subjects for top uni?

The second one because it is more varied - I have heard that universities like that :smile:
W.H.T
If you're asking me why I think in general Geography is stronger than Physics, I don't. Its hard to compare them since they are so different from each other, but they are both seen to be strong and 'traditional' by all uni's.

However, given the situation of OP, I do think its better to take Geography instead of Physics. Look, I think what you're trying to say about taking physics, is that its mathematical and therefore prepares OP well for degree level economics. However, he is already planning to take maths and further maths, therefore doing physics won't really add much in preparing him for degree level economics or to show to the uni's that he is a capable person with maths.

I think its important to demonstrate to the uni's that you aren't a one dimensional person and that you are capable in other areas other than science. What Geography and Economics bring, is that they teach him to think 'out of the box' which is an important quality to have if you want to suceed in life in any field. Economics at uni is highly mathematical, but at the same time, it is a social science so you have be able to understand other areas and not just maths.

OP never mentioned about the possibility of doing engineering, so I just gave my opinion based on the assumption that he is planning to do Economics.

Geography isn't going to help at all in my opinion, according to you, economics will let him 'think out of the box', so why does he need geography as well do that that (most people who take a 'contrasting' subject will only take one anyway), while basically crippling other potential degree choices such as engineering and physics? The OP hasn't said anything about considering these courses, but a year or two down the line they may change their mind, and they won't be able to do that with geography that won't have any relevance to anything. It would be best to keep his options open, rather than close them off, as well as the mathematical content physics can bring to economics.
Reply 47
Duckzilla
Geography isn't going to help at all in my opinion, according to you, economics will let him 'think out of the box', so why does he need geography as well do that that (most people who take a 'contrasting' subject will only take one anyway), while basically crippling other potential degree choices such as engineering and physics? The OP hasn't said anything about considering these courses, but a year or two down the line they may change their mind, and they won't be able to do that with geography that won't have any relevance to anything. It would be best to keep his options open, rather than close them off, as well as the mathematical content physics can bring to economics.

To be honest, alot of the stuff you learn in A-level would be of no relevance to university courses. You say that Geography isn't going to help at all for OP's intended course (economics), but the same could be said about Physics. The maths involved in economics and other finance related course is statistics. On the other hand, the type maths in Physics would bear absolutely no relevance to degree level economics. But, I would agree with you that doing Physics does keep open the prospect of him doing engineering.

You seem to dislike geography because it doesn't relate to anything. I think that's ridculous, Geography covers a wide area of knowledge from natural environment to human use of resource. I want to emphasize one of the topics I'm learning in A2 level geography which is 'human use of resource' and just how obvious it links in with economics.
W.H.T
To be honest, alot of the stuff you learn in A-level would be of no relevance to university courses. You say that Geography isn't going to help at all for OP's intended course (economics), but the same could be said about Physics. The maths involved in economics and other finance related course is statistics. On the other hand, the type maths in Physics would bear absolutely no relevance to degree level economics. But, I would agree with you that doing Physics does keep open the prospect of him doing engineering.

You seem to dislike geography because it doesn't relate to anything. I think that's ridculous, Geography covers a wide area of knowledge from natural environment to human use of resource. I want to emphasize one of the topics I'm learning in A2 level geography which is 'human use of resource' and just how obvious it links in with economics.

I don't dislike geography at all, I considered taking it for A-level too. However, I see Physics as a better grounding for any mathematical based course such as Economics. Physics gives a good maths preparation, e.g: 'Calculate the tension in the rope' and 'Calculate the density of the metal', which in my opinion is a better preparation than geography.
FillhouseMining
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Sociology/philosophy

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics
Reply 50
Duckzilla
I don't dislike geography at all, I considered taking it for A-level too. However, I see Physics as a better grounding for any mathematical based course such as Economics. Physics gives a good maths preparation, e.g: 'Calculate the tension in the rope' and 'Calculate the density of the metal', which in my opinion is a better preparation than geography.

Ok, I grant you that Physics would give good maths preparation regardless what OP goes on to do. But the main point I'm trying to make is that he is already planning to do maths and further maths. I may not have done A-level physics, but I seriously doubt the actual maths involve in it would be any more advanced or different than the content covered in A-level maths and further maths.

and also, explain how 'being able to calculate the tension in a rope' relates to the issues in economics such as our use of resource, taxes, social inequalities, interest rates, behavior of businesses etc.......
W.H.T
Ok, I grant you that Physics would give good maths preparation regardless what OP goes on to do. But the main point I'm trying to make is that he is already planning to do maths and further maths. I may not have done A-level physics, but I seriously doubt the actual maths involve in it would be any more advanced or different than the content covered in A-level maths and further maths.

and also, explain how 'being able to calculate the tension in a rope' relates to the issues in economics such as our use of resource, taxes, social inequalities, interest rates, behavior of businesses etc.......

Explain how 'Describe the ways in which the coastal area shown in figure 2 is being protected from physical processes' (OCR June 2009) relates to issues in economics.

Though some of the maths in physics isn't going to be of direct help, some of it will be and it's always good to have practice in maths, even if it isn't strictly relevant. E.g 'Calculate the tension in the rope' is better practice for a mathematical based degree than 'state two factors that influence river deposition' (OCR January 2009). Geography is also going to close more options than physics will open.
FillhouseMining
Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Sociology/philosophy

Option 2. I think the Economics dept. at LSE like to have a 50:50 split between mathematical/science and 'essay-based' subjects.

It gives the impression your a really well rounded student...
Reply 53
Duckzilla
Explain how 'Describe the ways in which the coastal area shown in figure 2 is being protected from physical processes' (OCR June 2009) relates to issues in economics.

Though some of the maths in physics isn't going to be of direct help, some of it will be and it's always good to have practice in maths, even if it isn't strictly relevant. E.g 'Calculate the tension in the rope' is better practice for a mathematical based degree than 'state two factors that influence river deposition' (OCR January 2009). Geography is also going to close more options than physics will open.

Coincidently, I am actually doing the OCR exam board for geography and I can tell you that its syllabus has just changed for my year which means the question you got from an exam paper is probably not up to date with the new specification. However I'm happy to explain how that particular question relates to economics.

'Describe the ways in which the coastal area shown in figure 2 is being protected from physical processes'

I haven't looked at the paper, but coastal areas like most pieces of land is likely to have some sort of monetary value to humans, be it properties or jobs. In this question, I have to describe how it is being protected. This relates to economics because the ways in which that coastal area is protected has an effect on the financial prospects of it. In degree-level economics, OP may well be asked to work on a project and that may involve researching the potential risk of investing in a coastal area which is not adequately protected. You get the point.

Out of all the possible questions in geography you have probably picked one of the least relevant to economics. Nevertheless, I have justified how even that has a clear link to it. About half of the syllabus in A-level Geography is human-related, with the other being about natural environments. Based on what I'm currently learning from my exam board, if you look at some of the questions in the human-related half which are consists mostly of globalisation, exploitation of resources, developing countries etc, you would see how it clearly relates to economics.

On the point you made about Geography closing more of OP's career options, generally that's simply not the case. Obviously, if engineering were to be one of those options that I would agree that taking Physics would be better. However, overall taking Physics would actually close down more options because that would mean OP taking three science subjects out of four. Hardly a diverse range now is it? Now, I'm not saying that it would actively harm his chances of getting into the top uni's, but I think it would be more beneficial to take geography instead. Law, surveying, Politics, Jornalism, media, and public sector are just some of the non-maths related areas which doing Geography would open up whereas doing Physics would close.
Reply 54
I think either option can be good as long as you will enjoy what you'll be doing.
For some reasons Sociology is in the blacklist of some unis.But it's one of my 4 subjects and I got offers from both Cambridge and LSE in the end.I'd say physics is great but don't worry too much if you feel like doing Sociology.

Latest