The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Did anyone else think that in question 2 it was strange that the question didn't mention a z axis? I ended up using z co-ordinates of the base to work out the distance from 2 of the edges of the base to the centre of mass of the whole thing. When I'd calculated the distance from each of the 3 edges to the centre of mass, I said that the edge with the smallest distance would require the smallest angle of tilt. But last night I realised I probably should've chosen the one with the greatest distance as it would produce a bigger moment!
BlondeNorfolkGirl
Did anyone else think that in question 2 it was strange that the question didn't mention a z axis? I ended up using z co-ordinates of the base to work out the distance from 2 of the edges of the base to the centre of mass of the whole thing. When I'd calculated the distance from each of the 3 edges to the centre of mass, I said that the edge with the smallest distance would require the smallest angle of tilt. But last night I realised I probably should've chosen the one with the greatest distance as it would produce a bigger moment!

A z axis wasn't needed due to the symmetry of the object
Reply 82
Aghh, got all the triangles right in the tipping question, but did arctan of all the inverse fractions somehow???? ie 90 - angle for all of them. will i get any marks? ie i got angles all the 70's
Reply 83
ashelein
Aghh, got all the triangles right in the tipping question, but did arctan of all the inverse fractions somehow???? ie 90 - angle for all of them. will i get any marks? ie i got angles all the 70's

Problem is its only out of 4, 1 will be for conclusion ie E1 which you wont get, theyll also be a A1 A1 for 3 correct angles found or A1 for 1 correct and an M1 for method. You may get the M1.