The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Anonymous
WHy did you do the same post twice :confused: I replied to you above.

tsr was playing up and i didn't think it posted.
Not sick, no, just feel sorry for them that they feel they have do drugs to be happy/get their kicks and don't know/care what it does to them at a deeper, cellular level. It's a shame.
Reply 142
ilovehotchocolate
Not sick, no, just feel sorry for them that they feel they have do drugs to be happy/get their kicks

Most people do things for pleasure that can have a neggative impact on their health. You would lead a very dull life if you didn't.

ilovehotchocolate
and don't know/care what it does to them at a deeper, cellular level. It's a shame.

I would say a majority of cannabis users do know and care what harm smoking can do, hence the popularity of vaporizers. They just feel the benifits outweigh the negatives.
n00
Most people do things for pleasure that can have a neggative impact on their health. You would lead a very dull life if you didn't.

Not trying to bait you or anything, but honestly, I'm not sure that I do. Possibley I guess biscuits are my weakness, but I'm a rower who trains everyday, so I get a balanced diet and I have low glucose levels so have to eat sugary foods more often than normal

I would say a majority of cannabis users do know and care what harm smoking can do, hence the popularity of vaporizers. They just feel the benifits outweigh the negatives.

For this point I meant the studies that showed that cannabis alters the ability of the brain to form new nerve connections, even from the first time of taking it. This means you have difficulty making new memories and learning things. It might not really be noticed by the user, but it happens, more so the more you take. It isn't a side effect that's widely publicised, but I did a whole module on drugs for my degree so got to read quite a few papers about it. I'm pleased about the vapourises point, I'll admit I didn't know that. Cannabis users tend to inhale deeper than normal smokers, so the harmful toxic parts in then tobacco gets to attack the lesser used, cleaner parts of the lungs and do more damage than normal smoking would. Even hookahs have recently shown to be much more harmful than first anticipated because of the incredibely high levels of carbon monoxide you are inhaling, way more than what you would get from tobacco smoke, although this is poss why you get a bit of a high from it, because you are starving your brain of oxygen (also not a good thing!). I've been neg repped on here before for saying this, because the person believed I was talking about drugs killing you and had a similar stance to you, but that wasn't what I was talking about. I'm not going to go all righteous and step in and stop someone taking drugs, I prob won't even say anything at all, But I am entitled to my opinions, which are enhanced by having slightly more information about the topic by the average person.
Reply 144
I feel sick at the sight of people drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes just as much tbh.
Reply 145
ilovehotchocolate
For this point I meant the studies that showed that cannabis alters the ability of the brain to form new nerve connections, even from the first time of taking it. This means you have difficulty making new memories and learning things. It might not really be noticed by the user, but it happens, more so the more you take. It isn't a side effect that's widely publicised, but I did a whole module on drugs for my degree so got to read quite a few papers about it. I'm pleased about the vapourises point, I'll admit I didn't know that. Cannabis users tend to inhale deeper than normal smokers, so the harmful toxic parts in then tobacco gets to attack the lesser used, cleaner parts of the lungs and do more damage than normal smoking would. Even hookahs have recently shown to be much more harmful than first anticipated because of the incredibely high levels of carbon monoxide you are inhaling, way more than what you would get from tobacco smoke, although this is poss why you get a bit of a high from it, because you are starving your brain of oxygen (also not a good thing!). I've been neg repped on here before for saying this, because the person believed I was talking about drugs killing you and had a similar stance to you, but that wasn't what I was talking about. I'm not going to go all righteous and step in and stop someone taking drugs, I prob won't even say anything at all, But I am entitled to my opinions, which are enhanced by having slightly more information about the topic by the average person.

Fair enough all I was really taking issue with is that you seemed to be implying that all cannabis users are oblivious to the damage cannabis can cause or simply don't care. A large number do and make an informed choice. Although it is very difficult to make an informed choice when the research is so biased.

"It is very easy to get research money to show that drugs are harmful but it’s very hard to get research funds to show that they may not be so. A lot of the scientific reporting about drugs is biased. It’s a big challenge for scientists to make sure that their colleagues are producing data that are accurate. There have been some horrific examples where some of the so-called ‘top’ scientific journals have published poor quality research about the harms of drugs such as cannabis or ecstasy, sometimes having to retract the articles. The problem is, you never see the retractions, you just see the front page of newspapers saying ‘ecstasy fries your brain’. The retraction explaining that methamphetamine rather than ecstasy was given by mistake is much less visible, if published at all!" Nutt

The effect cannabis has on memory is mainly temporary and really isn't something I believe a cannabis user should overly concern themselves over, after all alcohol can also effect your memory and this is not a major concern of drinkers. It's certainly not as much of a problem as the damage smoking can cause to the lungs.
I'd rather not see people shooting up (though that's only happened once so it's not exactly a problem). Smelling weed smoke in public is honestly pretty nice and I'm not bothered by pills/coke.

Latest

Trending

Trending