The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

What happens if you fail an exam?

Imagine this situation: you take 4 exams, but fail one. You do not need repeat teaching for it (you will have to pay thousands to get repeat tuition) but simply wish to study for it in your own time and re-take the exam the following Summer (along with your other courses). Is such a thing possible and will you have to pay an exam fee or go through a lengthy process?

Scroll to see replies

nope. I failed ec102 last year. you get through to the next year, pay no extra fees but you do not have classes but are allowed to attend the lectures. No exam fees either. You don't need to fill in any paperwork too as you are automatically rentered for the exam
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
What Chrisateen said. You simply retake it the following Summer, without any teaching throughout the year. I've been told by other people that you have to pay for resits, but I haven't been told about it by LSE so I'm just going along with whatever happens :smile:
Reply 3
hey what happens if you pass the exam but dont do very well i.e get 40%-45%, are you allowed to retake the exam?
Reply 4
roshi
hey what happens if you pass the exam but dont do very well i.e get 40%-45%, are you allowed to retake the exam?
Nope.
Reply 5
Chrisateen
nope. I failed ec102 last year. you get through to the next year, pay no extra fees but you do not have classes but are allowed to attend the lectures. No exam fees either. You don't need to fill in any paperwork too as you are automatically rentered for the exam

Does failing an exam mean the same as, say, if you don't turn up for it or is that a different ball game?
Reply 6
Bad A$$
Does failing an exam mean the same as, say, if you don't turn up for it or is that a different ball game?

One of the lecturers said you get 2 marks for turning up. This is so that you can't use the i didn't go excuse later on in life.
You can turn up and then write 'CANCEL SCRIPT' on the front of your booklet. This zeroes your mark. Not sure what happens to your progression etc though
Pedsdude
What Chrisateen said. You simply retake it the following Summer, without any teaching throughout the year. I've been told by other people that you have to pay for resits, but I haven't been told about it by LSE so I'm just going along with whatever happens :smile:

I found out that you don't if its one resit the next year. You only pay for resits if you failed more than 1 papers and have to take a year out to resit them
Reply 9
Chrisateen
I found out that you don't if its one resit the next year. You only pay for resits if you failed more than 1 papers and have to take a year out to resit them

You pay the full fees for the resit year? So an international would pay an extra 13grand for a second 1st year at uni?
Oldboy5745
You pay the full fees for the resit year? So an international would pay an extra 13grand for a second 1st year at uni?

No you don't. I can't remember how much it is but it is not equivalent to the full amount unless you decide to redo the whole of 1st year again do you have to pay the full amount
Chrisateen

Ah OK, excellent. Good job my fails were two half modules, then :smile:
I'm going for a fail in MA100, planned it a while ago, just gna turn up and get a realy low mark. As long as i get a 2.1 overall it should be fine and ill do it next year..
dannylfc_1
I'm going for a fail in MA100, planned it a while ago, just gna turn up and get a realy low mark. As long as i get a 2.1 overall it should be fine and ill do it next year..

Yep, your worst module out of the 1 year modules isn't counted, so as long as you get a high enough average in your other 3 modules for a 2:1 then you'll only need to pass it the following year.
Pretty sure I got <5 marks in MA100 today.
dannylfc_1

Think I saw you, NAB 2.06 right? Why'd you stay all 3hours? I had a couple friends who just turned up, did part a) for all 8 questions and left :rolleyes: And you probably did better than you think :biggrin: To be fair I'm getting annihilated in all my exams so far and I doubt stats will be an exception....
Reply 16
dannylfc_1

Join the club.

Except this was my second time taking it, didn't go to a single lecture either last year or this year.
Does anyone know what happens if we decide to leave the exam early. Would our papers be marked?
Reply 18
yes i believe that they will be marked. you can leave after half an hour. i walked of econB exam because i had another exam in the afternoon and the fire alarm delayed everything!
Chrisateen
Does anyone know what happens if we decide to leave the exam early. Would our papers be marked?

Yep, check the regs.

You're allowed to leave after the first half hour and before the last half hour. Your paper will be marked as normal unless you write 'Cancel Script' on it, in which case it is zeroed. Not sure how it affects your degree progression..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending