The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ahhh i'm doing this exam too :smile:
Seems pretty basic, just got to learn some of the definitions!
Mr van der WAALs
Group 2
Ionisation decreases; atoms become larger; increased sheilding outweighs increased nuclear charge; easier to lose electrons.

Group 7
Oxidising power decreases Cl < Br < I; atoms become larger and electronegativity decreases; increase nuclear charge outweighed my increase sheilding and increased atomic radius; halogens gain electrons; it is easier to gain electrons further up the group

If oxidising power decreases, surely its: Cl > Br > I ?

This is useful for G7: http://www.knockhardy.org.uk/assets/08GPVII.PDF
i am doing salters chemistry exam on friday too :frown: but it is pretty basic stuff really.
TwirlGirl
If oxidising power decreases, surely its: Cl > Br > I ?

This is useful for G7: http://www.knockhardy.org.uk/assets/08GPVII.PDF

Lol yh thanks it is Cl > Br > I; sorry for the mistake, was typing fast :rolleyes:
Reply 24
I'm pretty confident about this exam, I just need to check my work really carefully, I always lose marks through carelessness :frown:
Reply 25
I've attached a powerpoint of unit 1 - if it's worked.

Hope it helps! :smile:
Jono300

...but 168 slides??!! :eek:
Reply 27
TwirlGirl

...but 168 slides??!! :eek:

aha :P There are a lot of pictures and diagrams, don't worry! After every slide there should be a diagram or picture to make it less facts, facts, facts :smile:
grab a chunk of limestone from you local cliff and burn it and you get slacked lime!

add some water to the lime and you get limewater

bubble a **** load of co2 through it and you get limestone again!

the posh name for limestone is calcium carbonate and it make solution all milky what a mess

slacked lime = calcium oxide

limewater = calcium hydroxide
Reply 29
some good info in here! wish i wouldve retook this in Jan instead...
So many people are taking this exam! Is this salters?
Reply 31
I have a weird feeling that diamond will come up as a five mark question because it was graphite last year.
Jono300

:smile: Thanks a lot

Have you got one for unit 2 by any chance?
Reply 33
Do we need to know the history of the periodic table? I don't even remember learning this first time around...
jimber
Do we need to know the history of the periodic table? I don't even remember learning this first time around...

I really doubt it. I'm not going to bother learning it.
Jono300

Thanks; a nice summary of the unit for easy revision :smile:
Reply 36
Ermmmmmmm, i didn't know we had to know about 'redox' for this unit :s-smilie:
Reply 37
jimber

Same. Teachers were pretty ****. I didn't know half the stuff that i know now.

BTW- is it normal for the head of science to come into you're chemistry class, ask the teacher to, in a sense, 'go away', and then ask us questions on how they're doing they're job, *1 out of the 7 people passed, in January* :mad:
Reply 38
0201Bean
Same. Teachers were pretty ****. I didn't know half the stuff that i know now.

BTW- is it normal for the head of science to come into you're chemistry class, ask the teacher to, in a sense, 'go away', and then ask us questions on how they're doing they're job, *1 out of the 7 people passed, in January* :mad:

Ha yeah I had to pretty much learn everything myself, we have a good teacher once a week so we are ok for his topic! :p:

Must've had some complaints! haha
Reply 39
jimber
Ha yeah I had to pretty much learn everything myself, we have a good teacher once a week so we are ok for his topic! :p:

Must've had some complaints! haha

We have two teachers, both are :mad: Decided to get a tutor so i'm okay...i think :L Only in the last two weeks have i come across cracking, catalysis, and dative-covalent bonding :o:

Well, yeah :p: ...about 45 minutes of the lesson, was just that, finishing with the head of science having about a two pages of critiscism on the teachers XD

Latest

Trending

Trending