The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I_Need_To_Revise
:smile: Thanks a lot

Have you got one for unit 2 by any chance?

Weelll, I have done a Unit 2, section 1 powerpoint so far, which I have attached.

Also, I have attached a very, very brief overview of Unit 2 using the Exam Café CD.

Hope they help! :biggrin:
Reply 41
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE CONFIRM
whether we need to know about the scientists that discovered the electron, like rutherford etc...
WHAT IF THEY TEST IT??
:s-smilie: I DONT KNOW ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!
Could we be asked to explain a trend in melting boiling points down group II as I'm only used to talking about ionisation energy for a question like that (especially because group II only partake in metallic bonding)?
Reply 43
Can someone explain the trends accross a period and down a group.
WizKid07
Can someone explain the trends accross a period and down a group.

Atomic radius decreases across a period. Due to increased nuclear charge and electrons being added to the same shell. Hence no extra electron shielding. Electrons are attracted more strongly to the nucleus. First ionisation energy generally increases across a period (obviously the 1st IE for a group 2 element is higher than a group 3 element, though).

Atomic radius increases down a group despite the increase in nuclear charge. Electrons are added to new shells which increases the electron shielding. Electrons further from the nucleus mean that they are less strongly attracted. First ionisation energy decreases down a group.
Reply 45
Mr van der WAALs
I really hate electronegativity and the trends of the periodic table. Most of the other stuff is pretty basic; the only difference from the old 2811 past papers is the addition of salts.

Hi im going to explain how YOU are formed.

movement of electrons generates an instantaneous dipole

instantaneous dipole induces further dipoles on neighbouring molecules/atoms

attraction between these temporary induced dipoles results in YOU :redface:

...i really hope that was right and i also hope this question comes up its taken me ages to learn it :frown:
786girl
Hi im going to explain how YOU are formed.

movement of electrons generates an instantaneous dipole

instantaneous dipole induces further dipoles on neighbouring molecules/atoms

attraction between these temporary induced dipoles results in YOU :redface:

...i really hope that was right and i also hope this question comes up its taken me ages to learn it :frown:

:top:
Jono300
Weelll, I have done a Unit 2, section 1 powerpoint so far, which I have attached.

Also, I have attached a very, very brief overview of Unit 2 using the Exam Café CD.

Hope they help! :biggrin:

thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 48
TwirlGirl
Atomic radius decreases across a period. Due to increased nuclear charge and electrons being added to the same shell. Hence no extra electron shielding. Electrons are attracted more strongly to the nucleus. First ionisation energy generally increases across a period (obviously the 1st IE for a group 2 element is higher than a group 3 element, though).

Atomic radius increases down a group despite the increase in nuclear charge. Electrons are added to new shells which increases the electron shielding. Electrons further from the nucleus mean that they are less strongly attracted. First ionisation energy decreases down a group.

Thanks for that, it was really helpful :smile:
How many past papers are you practicing? All of them from 2000 - 2009? Or are the New Spec papers sufficient to gain a good grade? hmmm
Reply 50
Jono300
I've attached a powerpoint of unit 1 - if it's worked.

Hope it helps! :smile:

Thats awesome :biggrin: Cheers! And you dont happen to have the Unit 2 one do you? That would be great!

edit; never checked page 3 :P Sorry!
intellectual1
How many past papers are you practicing? All of them from 2000 - 2009? Or are the New Spec papers sufficient to gain a good grade? hmmm

Not all, but probably about half.
I imagine if you do all the questions in the book and the recent papers then that'd be enough though. (i havent done any qs from the book)
Reply 52
I don't even have the book! All lent out to current y12s so will probably do 3/4 papers tomorrow
Anyone have any predictions on what will come up on friday- "what you should definitely revise because its almost certain it will come up"???
obviously moles :smile:
I_Need_To_Revise
Anyone have any predictions on what will come up on friday- "what you should definitely revise because its almost certain it will come up"???
obviously moles :smile:

Shapes and bond angles; ionisation energies and periodic trends; isotope/relative atomic mass definition; maybe hydrogen bonds (water) and anyalmous properties;

I am so bored of this module now; its sooooo boring compared to the other units :eek3:
Can someone explain please:
Why do the group 2 elements increase in reactivity as you go down the group?
And why do the melting points and boiling points decrease down the group?

:smile:
Mr van der WAALs
Shapes and bond angles; ionisation energies and periodic trends; isotope/relative atomic mass definition; maybe hydrogen bonds (water) and anyalmous properties;

I am so bored of this module now; its sooooo boring compared to the other units :eek3:

i prefer this unit to unit 2- i cant remember anything in unit 2 :s-smilie: all of the addition reactions and conditions :eek:
I_Need_To_Revise
i prefer this unit to unit 2- i cant remember anything in unit 2 :s-smilie: all of the addition reactions and conditions :eek:

Lol F322 is easy compared to F324; and F321 is soooo boring compared to F325!! :smile:
Mr van der WAALs
Lol F322 is easy compared to F324; and F321 is soooo boring* compared to F325!! :smile:

Nonono...F321 is soooo easy* compared to F325! I haaate F325 - how is it interesting?! And i hate that my place at university depends on me getting a good B in it :frown:
TwirlGirl
Nonono...F321 is soooo easy* compared to F325! I haaate F325 - how is it interesting?! And i hate that my place at university depends on me getting a good B in it :frown:

Lol F321 is sooo easy; its the first unit after all but F321 is boring as hell; learning about trends and patterns, how dull; F325 is real chemistry. pH, buffers and electrode potentials!! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending