The Student Room Group

Who else can't be bothered with general studies tomorrow?

I can't bring myself to learn the syllabus today, i'd rather take my chances tomorrow :P
anyone else feel the same?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me. Bloody stupid thing it is :frown:
A friend of a friend apparently wrote his AS Level General Studies exam all in German and still got 17 UMS marks. Just thought I'd share!
Reply 3
I just didn't turn up to the first lesson because it was pointless and nobody has said anything since. :p:
Reply 4
Anyone got any tips? Not sure about you, but my
school didn't do lessons for this subject
There's a syllabus for general studies???
Snap Snap... I didn't even know there was a syllabus .... ha. Ah well, I am gonna risk it for a biscuit me thinks :p:
Me. I'm not even bothering to go to the exam.

Last year, I missed the exam because I got the date wrong :rolleyes: (I was secretly chuffed!) I didn't get fined or anything, so this time i'm not gonna bother going.
Cupcakee

Write anything you think is relevant.
If you are asked to discuss, give both sides of any arguments.
Bring examples into your answer.
If you get pictures or an article given to you, make sure you use them.

Basically general essay skills.
Reply 9
Cupcakee

same! so i have to teach myself the syllabus today!
i just hope the essay questions aren't too bad, because i can blag my way through an easyish essay
Haha me too! We barely did any general studies during our general studies lessons, as we also do the extended project and various other things in them (it's this high achievers group thing), but it doesn't really seem like there's much to learn...it's just common sense things really, the papers we looked at reminded me of KS3 english SATs. Besides, you can write pretty much whatever you want and still get decent marks, so long as you give a give a good argument from both sides and use examples, etc. I haven't done any preparation for it, and I sure as hell aren't planning on doing any either :P
mtgsgirl
I can't bring myself to learn the syllabus today, i'd rather take my chances tomorrow :P
anyone else feel the same?

What do you mean by 'learn the syllabus today'? :o:
Reply 12
SophiaKeuning
What do you mean by 'learn the syllabus today'? :o:

well my school didn't teach us general studies we had to learn it ourselves, so i'm going through the spec trying to learn it all...well i was before tsr :p:
i ca't be bothered, but my school makes s pay if we miss gen studies exams (or in year 11 prep for working life) so i am going to go write a bit of rubbish and have a nap :smile:
Reply 14
there's a syllabus!? What a waste of time...

I never went to the lessons, came to an arrangement with the teacher so she always marked me present, heeheehee, nearly missed two of the exams because i was just going to head home after earlier exams, fell asleep in one and finished the other in half an hour and then spent the remaining time glaring at the invigilator who wouldn't let me leave until one hour had passed.

Came out with the highest mark in the year. Just go, scribble something, and then sleep. Don't waste time stressing out about the syllabus, you really don't need it.
Reply 15
I do Critical Thinking. Means I get a sleep in tomorrow.
Any ideas on what the questions will be like tomorrow?
I didn't go to my A2 january exam and as a consequence I wasn't entered into the summer exam.

I don't regret. I spent the time playing football manager instead. I got promoted. Much more productive.
It's worth doing as well as you can - you might need it in the end to put you above other candidates with the same UCAS points total.

I'm doing mine tomorrow as I'm a grade short for my Aberystwyth offer and they accept general studies - still not learnt anything for it though. Having looked at the papers it seems pretty straightforward to get a passing grade.
Reply 19
same, got my GS exam tomorrow :tongue: just looking through the past papers

Quick Reply

Latest