The Student Room Group

What types of music do British people listen to?

Scroll to see replies

http://open.spotify.com/user/iainvg that should enlighten you
All kinds. But I find myself turning away from the generic pop/r&b stuff that my sister's generation seem to love.

There used to be a soca show on BBC 1xtra very early on Monday mornings which could be listened to on iplayer at more reasonable times. I'm not sure if it's still there.
Reply 22
Mostly X-factor crap that plagues the radio stations
Reply 23
Whatever style of music they prefer!
depends what radio station you put on...
the majority of British music is ****! Artists like Jason Derulo, Chipmunk, Glee cast, N-dubz and Justin Bieber fill the starts week in week out. its awful. People are enticed by their lyrics because they can relate to them: I.e. 'I've been searching all over facebook.' Its utter CRAP! I recommend you stay away from it.
Reply 26
asherjw
What types of music do Britsh people listen to? What can I expect to hear on radio stations and so on? What songs are popular now?

most people?
meaningless crap.
see lady gaga.
Reply 27
britpop, britrock, britrnb, britrap, britdance, britbrit
Reply 28
Spice Girls, obviously :wink:
radio 1 not all that bad depends when you listen to it, Friday night and well 2 in the morning just :p:

you have kiss as well http://www.totalkiss.com/

what everyone will do is push the music they like and all anything else poor so yeah make your own mind up on that one
Reply 30
Klezmer, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Napalm Death and Cliff Richard. Only.
Sugar doo doo doo doo doo, awww honey honey ...you are my candy girl and you got me wanting you!
Reply 32
i listen mainly to kissfm and choicefm on the radio which plays mostly chart music past and present - mainstream stuff. you hear a lot of american stuff on the radio like lady gaga, jason derulo, BEP, justin bieber, usher, rihanna, jay z, beyonce etc. also there is a lot of good british artists around like tinih tempah, la roux, chipmunk, florence and the machine, n dubz, mr hudson...i also listen to a lot of british non mainstream hiphop and r'n'b
hali0112
i listen mainly to kissfm and choicefm on the radio which plays mostly chart music past and present - mainstream stuff. you hear a lot of american stuff on the radio like lady gaga, jason derulo, BEP, justin bieber, usher, rihanna, jay z, beyonce etc. also there is a lot of good british artists around like tinih tempah, la roux, chipmunk, florence and the machine, n dubz, mr hudson...i also listen to a lot of british non mainstream hiphop and r'n'b

confirming once again the majority of the british populace, listen to tasteless rubbish to be alongside the musically ignorant masses, makes me thankful that being a british national isn't my initial citizenship :woo:
Reply 34
asherjw
What types of music do Britsh people listen to? What can I expect to hear on radio stations and so on? What songs are popular now?

if you're gwannin london expect some of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FT0-GdA4Ss

my gf is trinidian!!

she listens to a lot of soca
iainvg
confirming once again the majority of the british populace, listen to tasteless rubbish to be alongside the musically ignorant masses, makes me thankful that being a british national isn't my initial citizenship :woo:

:facepalm2:

One person does not equal the 'majority of the British populace". There is so much music out there, and it's so easy to access different genres and styles; to assume that everybody listens to the same 'tasteless rubbish' (or indeed that there's any overwhelming style in the UK that monopolises the markets) is pretty ignorant in itself.
Reply 36
iainvg

if majority of people listen to this music and this music sells really well shows that it isn't rubbish. just because you do not like this music it doesn't mean that it is tasteless. what kind of music or artists do you listen to out of interest?
Reply 37
there's not really one set taste...
Reply 38
iainvg

lol so what is your initial citizenship then?
Reply 39
hali0112
if majority of people listen to this music and this music sells really well shows that it isn't rubbish.

If lots of people buy rubbish music, it's popular rubbish music.

Quick Reply

Latest