The Student Room Group

Help wanted, i am in crisis.

Hi,
I just wanted to ask that, for my GCSE’s I have got 5 A’s including English literature but for my English language GCSE I got a C which is due to me being late half an hour and I was predicted an A for it.

What I want to know is will this C grade be a problem in me being a barrister caus I really really want to be a barrister, law is in my family.

So will this C in English raise questions in terms of me getting into a good university and college, I want to study Law, Politics, Economics and English literature at college and then get a Law degree from a good university.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think C's are the minimum requirement for the top universities, so you should be fine.
Reply 2
Sami C
I think C's are the minimum requirement for the top universities, so you should be fine.

No i have checked and its B
Reply 3
I don't want to sound rude, but why ask if it's a problem that you have a C in English when you have already checked and know that you need a B? I would say that you would have to re-sit it, because I can't see any reason why they would by-pass the entry requirements.
Reply 4
resit it in january, especially if you're doing AS lit, you'll find it very easy i expect.

Also would advise not doing Law at A-level.
Reply 5
Chris.
resit it in january, especially if you're doing AS lit, you'll find it very easy i expect.

why would that be?
Reply 6
Regardless of how many people on here tell you it's seen as equal to other subjects by top uni's it isn't, it's seen as a very easy subject, and it could be seen as an option for those who don't have the ability to do subjects such as humanities, sciences or languages. Top uni's generally speaking prefer the more traditional subjects, others which have been mentioned in the same category are business studies, sociology and media studies.

It's not like they automatically won't consider you with law as an A-level, but if you think you are capable of doing something different and more traditional (history or geography maybe), then i would stronlgy advise it.
Reply 7
Chris.
Regardless of how many people on here tell you it's seen as equal to other subjects by top uni's it isn't, it's seen as a very easy subject, and it could be seen as an option for those who don't have the ability to do subjects such as humanities, sciences or languages.

Law AS is comparably easy, I admit. But A2 Law is damn difficult - and this isn't coming from someone who is incapable of 'proper' subjects - I also did English, Maths and French.

As I've said a thousand times before, do it if you want to. Do it if you're the kind of person who uses their own initiative rather than relying on hearsay largely passed on by those who have never touched an A Level Law book. Do it if you want to see whether you have that basic grounding for success in Law, do it if you think you'll succeed. (I'd apply this to any subject, by the way).

Regarding your C at GCSE, again, I'll say what I've said many times before. If you got below your predicted grades then either:

1. Retake whatever is necessary to get a better grade; or
2. Accept that this might have consequences for a uni application.

Of course, it was foolish to be late for an exam, but you can't change that now. What you can change though, is your grade - so if you're that bothered about it and believe that you are capable of more then retake. If not, be satisfied that you were rewarded for what you did.

Good luck.
Reply 8
Personally I think that if you feel you need and can achieve a better grade in English you should consider re-sitting.

Also, don't be afraid to take A-level law, although a few universities may not favour it, its not frowned on as much as it used to be and shouldn't affect your chances of getting a place. I took OCR's A-level Law and got offers for a law degree from Oxford, Manchester, Bristol, Nottingham, Essex and Leicester.
A-level law can provide you with useful knowledge/skills for the subject and you should certainly not discount it. The truth is, many universities have no strong feelings either way, you don't necessarily need it, nor do they particularly object to it.

My advice is to seriously consider re-sitting the English GCSE, but don't be put off A-level law - if you want to do it, then do it!
(If you are concerned about it then speak to your law tutor or a careers advisor - they could probably give you some advice based on greater experience)

Anyway - good luck with your A-levels :smile:

Lisa :wink:
Reply 9
Lauren18
Law AS is comparably easy, I admit. But A2 Law is damn difficult - and this isn't coming from someone who is incapable of 'proper' subjects - I also did English, Maths and French.

As I've said a thousand times before, do it if you want to. Do it if you're the kind of person who uses their own initiative rather than relying on hearsay largely passed on by those who have never touched an A Level Law book. Do it if you want to see whether you have that basic grounding for success in Law, do it if you think you'll succeed. (I'd apply this to any subject, by the way).

Regarding your C at GCSE, again, I'll say what I've said many times before. If you got below your predicted grades then either:

1. Retake whatever is necessary to get a better grade; or
2. Accept that this might have consequences for a uni application.

Of course, it was foolish to be late for an exam, but you can't change that now. What you can change though, is your grade - so if you're that bothered about it and believe that you are capable of more then retake. If not, be satisfied that you were rewarded for what you did.

Good luck.

There seems to be a few digs at my post hidden in there. I'm not saying anything about the true difficulty of a Law A-level, my comment was on how many top uni's will see the subject, and was also based upon fact not rumour.

The fact that people have never touched an A-level law book has nothing to do with anything, i've never touched an A-level physics book but i still know it's more respected than the former.
Reply 10
having checked the GCSE requirements for just about every law course going yesterday a C in Eng Lang at GCSE shouldnt be a problem.
Reply 11
Chris.

:rolleyes: *sighs*

I would advise to do Law at A level if that's what you enjoy and feel would be a beneficial A level to pursue.

I would also advise you not to worry about a grade C in English Language GCSE. If you really feel it will adversely affect your application, why not jot down the reasons for the anomaly on your UCAS Personal statement? A few words would then ensure Admissions Tutors knew *why* the grade was so different to your other GCSE's. They're real people and understand sometimes disasters happen!

With very best wishes,
Jo x
Reply 12
Lol, the number of people who try and keep up the pretense that law A-level is as creditable as other subjects is beyond a joke.
Chris.
Lol, the number of people who try and keep up the pretense that law A-level is as creditable as other subjects is beyond a joke.

It is as creditable! The reason unis don't like you to have it is because they like to teach law to fresh eyes, not ones who have been given a very different look on how law is taught. Law A- level and degree level are taught very differently, and they dont like people to get into a false sense of security by doing the law A- level. Of course, a law degree is one of the hardest degrees to do, and would be sooooo much harder than the A- level. By taking the A- level and doing well, it could trick people into thinking they'd be really good at a law degree, when perhaps they wouldnt. That does not mean it is an easy A- level. Just look at medicine; it isnt studied at A- level. If it was, i'm sure medicine admissions tutors would advise against studying that for A- level too.

And for your info, sociology is a well- respected subject! The study of people and society is at the forefront of many of the research projects and discoveries about class and society in general- and they get a lot of govenrment funding. It is a good subject if you are considering going into politics, law, teaching, and a number of other things the subject touches upon. And it has the same content make- up as many of the other more seroius A- levels. How you can put it into the same category as media or business studies i do not know!

I'm sure many people would prefer it if you did not slate subjects you haven't taken. I read your "I didn't do physics but i know it's hard" argument, but it doesn't really wash with me. Physics is a subject that has been around for so long that it has its prestigious status. Law is a relatively new subject to be studied at A-level, and like all things new, they get compared wrongly to the old, and slated.
you can redo it in college x
Reply 15
cottonmouth
It is as creditable! The reason unis don't like you to have it is because they like to teach law to fresh eyes, not ones who have been given a very different look on how law is taught. Law A- level and degree level are taught very differently, and they dont like people to get into a false sense of security by doing the law A- level. Of course, a law degree is one of the hardest degrees to do, and would be sooooo much harder than the A- level. By taking the A- level and doing well, it could trick people into thinking they'd be really good at a law degree, when perhaps they wouldnt. That does not mean it is an easy A- level. Just look at medicine; it isnt studied at A- level. If it was, i'm sure medicine admissions tutors would advise against studying that for A- level too.

And for your info, sociology is a well- respected subject! The study of people and society is at the forefront of many of the research projects and discoveries about class and society in general- and they get a lot of govenrment funding. It is a good subject if you are considering going into politics, law, teaching, and a number of other things the subject touches upon. And it has the same content make- up as many of the other more seroius A- levels. How you can put it into the same category as media or business studies i do not know!

I'm sure many people would prefer it if you did not slate subjects you haven't taken. I read your "I didn't do physics but i know it's hard" argument, but it doesn't really wash with me. Physics is a subject that has been around for so long that it has its prestigious status. Law is a relatively new subject to be studied at A-level, and like all things new, they get compared wrongly to the old, and slated.

I think people are trying to say it that law A level may be just as hard as other subjects BUT in the eyes of the University admission staff, Law IN THIER opinion isnt as creditable (regardless of whether or not this is justified).
This isnt my opinion, this is fact.
LSE has a black list of subjects that they deem less "creditable" than others. Law is on that list.

I have no idea why there needs to be further debate about this.
Reply 16
Chris.

Then how do you explain the number of students merely on this website who have gained offers from Top Ten Law schools following A level Law study?

I think it is so misleading to spread the "A level Law" myth. It, in my knowledge and experience, has not hindered my Law application, and I know there are many others here who will tell you the same.
Reply 17
Chris.

I think you meant credible. Oh the irony.

To be honest I don't give a flying f**k what you or anyone else thinks - I've got my A in Law and 97% UMS, I know what I'm talking about (as do many others on here who have also taken the A level and got fantastic grades).

What I do care about, though, is what potential Law students are being told time after time - something which is exaggerated and, to a great extent, based on rumour. To my knowledge there is only one top University which actually states is dislike of the subject - and that is LSE. Otherwise, most Unis take the line that 'it will neither help nor hinder your application'. There are plenty of people on here who have received numerous offers for top universities after taking Law A Level, and most of those people are fully capable of your 'proper' subjects, having also gained grade A in those.

You're just as entitled to your opinion as I am, but what you say IS - whether you like it or not - largely based on rumour, speak to most admissions tutors and they won't express a strong dislike for Law A Level.
Reply 18
Lauren18
I think you meant credible. Oh the irony.

No he meant "creditable".. since credible doesnt make sense in that context.
Well.. unless you can cant believe there is even a law A-Level.. if that was the case credible would be more right.

You should consult a dictionary.
Reply 19
Wings_cp
No he meant "creditable".. since credible doesnt make sense in that context.
Well.. unless you can cant believe there is even a law A-Level.. if that was the case credible would be more right.

You should consult a dictionary.

What are you, his keeper?

My word's better than yours tee hee hee. Let's play clapping games in the playground.

Latest

Trending

Trending