Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Protein only diet for weight loss

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My girlfriend told me today she was considering a diet consisting of only protein shakes alone. Her goal is to lose body fat..

I'm not sure why, but I have a feeling this isn't a great way? But she says her friend has been doing it for a week and has lost almost 2% of their body fat already.

Thoughts? :confused:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    stupid stupid stupid

You cannot exclude fats. Carbs won't be such a huge problem, because the protein will get converted to sugar anyway. But you can't make essential fatty acids, they MUST come from the diet, hence "ESSENTIAL fatty acids."
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got a feeling this isn't for his gf but for him :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whoever this is for: are you a complete ******* idiot? How can this possibly be a good idea?

I hope for your sake you are a troll, otherwise Darwinism really isn't working.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don't lose fat and not muscle by consuming only proteins. If you lose weight, the only way to maintain your muscle is to continue using them, and eating the right amount of protein to repair them with.

The whole protein-only thing is absolutely ridiculous.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you want to make yourself physically and mentally ill, and lose loads of muscle . . . go right ahead.

But I can tell you right now that you need lots of carbs and a little fat to function optimally. Since switching from a low carb diet to a high carb/low fat one, I've lost loads of weight while feeling better mentally and stronger physically.

Protein is waaay overrated in nutrition/fitness; you don't need anywhere near the amount some people say, particularly when you are just looking to lose fat. If you are trying to build muscle (in which case, you'd have to eat more calories than you were using), yes, eat a little more protein.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lightf00t)
    If you want to make yourself physically and mentally ill, and lose loads of muscle . . . go right ahead.

But I can tell you right now that you need lots of carbs and a little fat to function optimally. Since switching from a low carb diet to a high carb/low fat one, I've lost loads of weight while feeling better mentally and stronger physically.

Protein is waaay overrated in nutrition/fitness; you don't need anywhere near the amount some people say, particularly when you are just looking to lose fat. If you are trying to build muscle (in which case, you'd have to eat more calories than you were using), yes, eat a little more protein.
    You're pretty dumb, aren't you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Shut up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

you need a new brain.

OP: for a normal person, to lose weight go on a high protein, medium fat, low carb diet. dont forget all the micronutrients youre missing out on by just consuming protein shakes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    You're pretty dumb, aren't you?
    Explain WHY you think I'm dumb.

Explain to everyone one thing that I said that is wrong.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

You have no idea what you're talking about.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Explain to everyone one thing that I said that is wrong.
    You come across as very muddled.

Done properly they won't.

But I can tell you right now that you need lots of carbs and a little fat to function optimally.
    No you don't.

Sure carbs are necessary to maintain high intensity exercise however most people don't regularly exercise at a high intensity nor do they explicitly need to consume a high carbohydrate diet. As for fats most people don't consume enough quality fats, almost solely to do with the misinformation out there calling fats 'bad' and counterproductive for weight loss.

Since there has been a push towards high carb, low fat and protein diets obesity and related diseases have INCREASED significantly.

Since switching from a low carb diet to a high carb/low fat one, I've lost loads of weight while feeling better mentally and stronger physically.
    For a start what you're talking about is purely anecdotal and secondly the thread is about weight/fat loss, nobody here has claimed that low carb diets are superior with respect to memory function and strength development.

Protein is waaay overrated in nutrition/fitness; you don't need anywhere near the amount some people say, particularly when you are just looking to lose fat.
    Cutting calories from your diet increases protein turnover, without increasing the amount of carbohydrates and calories you're consuming the next best thing is to up your protein intake.

It's certainly an area of debate but if you really want to learn about fat loss you're best off studying bodybuilders and/or people that study bodybuilders. I'm telling you now that you'll struggle to find someone in the know that advocates a low protein diet.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think 100-150g of carbs for weight loss
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The ****, year and half old thread?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ive been having 100-120g carbs, 2 weight loss protein bars and a fair amount of essential fats. I've lost 5 lbs this week in fat. I was doing a combination of weight training and cardio so I am getting stronger while losing weight at the same time.

If you're going to take the shakes and do no exercise then it will be stupid and every calorie will get turned into fat.

More than 2 protein shakes per day is also bad and if you dont take enough fibres into the diet you will literally be pooping bricks.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    so 625 grams of protein a day?
    you know what protein does to you when you have over around 80grams a day? it strps the calcium out of your bones.
    what use is a less fatty body if the skeleton can't hold it together?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You revived a year old thread assuming people still care. SMED is pretty accurate with most of his info and this would appear to be no exception.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epicnerd)
    I've lost 5 lbs this week in fat.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but no you haven't.

I was doing a combination of weight training and cardio so I am getting stronger while losing weight at the same time.
    Please post your stats.

If you're going to take the shakes and do no exercise then it will be stupid and every calorie will get turned into fat.
    No it won't. Post a study here to suggest otherwise.

More than 2 protein shakes per day is also bad and if you dont take enough fibres into the diet you will literally be pooping bricks.
    Bad in what sense? Your body will not start attacking itself if you decide to have another 30g of whey :eyeball:

(Original post by almasy)
    you know what protein does to you when you have over around 80grams a day? it strps the calcium out of your bones.
    what use is a less fatty body if the skeleton can't hold it together?
    (Original post by almasy)
    you know what protein does to you when you have over around 80grams a day? it strps the calcium out of your bones. what use is a less fatty body if the skeleton can't hold it together?
    Does it now?:facepalm2:

Post a scientific journal up which supports what you're saying.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elan789)
    For weight loss you should walk, exercise for burn calories and you can try health diet plan which is medically safe and strict according to medical rules and doctors recommended. i guess pronokal is booming in London . You should contact with pronokal doctor. May be it will be helpful
    (Original post by johnin20)
    pronokal is very good diet and it really give results
    Reported. Clown.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elan789)
    For weight loss you should walk, exercise for burn calories and you can try health diet plan which is medically safe and strict according to medical rules and doctors recommended. i guess pronokal is booming in London . You should contact with pronokal doctor. May be it will be helpful
    Why are you bumping 2 year old threads!?!?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 25, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.