The Student Room Group

How to deal with BAD lecturers?

Hey everyone,

I'm currently studying at a fairly reputable university. Without disclosing much I would just like some advice on a situation I am in at the moment.

I'm doing a certain module which has very poor teaching style and assessment criteria. The lecturer has basically listed five vague and subjective points on how our essays are assessed - it's really up to their opinion. Additionally, the marks those of us doing the module receive are seemingly random. Some in their high 90s, others in their low 20s. And the variation from one essay to the next is massive as well with no clear sign of what gets us the marks. There's also a long list of complaints from each student about a lot of other things.

The issue is, this has been going on for years. Students have complained in the past - even to the departmental head - and nothing has been done as a result. They've just been told to stop complaining. This isn't fair on the students who genuinely want to learn, and get marks based on their ability rather than the lecturer's opinion.

How would you advice we deal with this situation?
Reply 1
In my opinion learn those subject areas well and revise them as you would, then if you feel you have been given an unfair mark you can appeal to your head of department or if that fails you can appeal to someone outside of the university. There are still a few options where you will gain a fair mark. Im in a similar situation with one of my lecturers, im just gonna swat up and hope something relevant comes up.
Well if you have complained to the head of the department then theres not much else that you can do really, maybe make sure that a lot more people go as well so that it makes more of an impact? Alternatively at the end of each semester at my uni we have to fill out assessment forms for each of our lectureres and seminar tutors and rate them out of 5 and give comments. Its based on these that the lectureres get bonuses and stuff and with consistent bad assessments can cause an inquiry if I understand correctly. If you have these then if everyone on the course rates him badly and explains on these why he is bad then something will be done about it. Even though it is at the end of the module, you can still ask for essays and exams to be looked over if something happens to him as a result.

However, I've just thought then that in my uni at least, even though the lecturer/ seminar tutor marks all of our essays, a selection of them go to a second marker to make sure that they have been marked correctly so maybe he isn't all that bad. To you they may seem like random marks but maybe there is reasoning behind them. Maybe ask for feedback on your essays to see where you have gone wrong and were others have gone right? Also, I dunno what they do at your uni, but most modules 2nd and up have their exams marked externally.

So yeah, what I'm saying is that maybe he isn't a bad lecturer in regards to marking. But you can always appeal if you feel as though you have an unfair mark.
We wrote a formal letter of complaint, and we got like a hearing and stuff within the uni, now they're changing the course for next year's students.
You and others have been told to get lost after paying thousands of pounds to get on this course?

I suggest you take the matter further and get someone down on their heads that will bring the University's rep into question.

You don't want to back down because some department ehad says so. Get onto them via a third party.
Firstly, thank you very much for your replies, I've taken your advice on board.

In my opinion learn those subject areas well and revise them as you would, then if you feel you have been given an unfair mark you can appeal to your head of department or if that fails you can appeal to someone outside of the university.

Nearly the whole class feels they have been given unfair marks. Students that do well in other modules and work hard end up getting low marks. Also those that get 90%+ in one essay and below 20% in the next have no idea how their marks fell so much. A fair few even got these marks the other way round. Something is definitely wrong with marking and everyone feels they're assessed unfairly. Would you please be able to tell me who I can appeal to outside of the university?

Well if you have complained to the head of the department then theres not much else that you can do really, maybe make sure that a lot more people go as well so that it makes more of an impact? Alternatively at the end of each semester at my uni we have to fill out assessment forms for each of our lecturers and seminar tutors and rate them out of 5 and give comments.

We have those feedback forms as well and we did highlight our issues in them. And from what I've heard from the year above, they had the same problem with this module and everyone gave negative feedback. The lecturer isn't very good so I suspect they get bad feedback from other modules as well. Problem is, it doesn't seem to make a difference at all.

Maybe ask for feedback on your essays to see where you have gone wrong and were others have gone right? Also, I dunno what they do at your uni, but most modules 2nd and up have their exams marked externally.

We all received feedback regarding our essays but it makes no sense at all. I've read the feedback from at least 10 others and it's full of contradiction and petty issues that have nothing to do with the module. To be brief in the original post I didn't mention one big issue that we all witnessed as a class. The essays are essentially class tests. For the first one we got given the essay topic. For the second, without warning, we were not given it and were expected to recall it from the module web page. That's a huge inconsistency which resulted in me losing marks and when we brought it up we got told we were being argumentative. I'm not sure if our marks are moderated by a second assessor. So far it seems either they're not or the second assessor doesn't want to get involved with a dispute. Much like how I think the departmental head is avoiding it.

We wrote a formal letter of complaint, and we got like a hearing and stuff within the uni, now they're changing the course for next year's students.

Addressed to? This looks like a promising course of action as well, thanks for the tip. :smile:

I suggest you take the matter further and get someone down on their heads that will bring the University's rep into question.

You don't want to back down because some department ehad says so. Get onto them via a third party.

Was thinking of possibly getting the press involved. But that is a fairly big step to take.
Don't do essay subjects (=essay marks are always subjective and somewhat random).
Reply 7
Take drastic measures, by doing that, they will take the subject seriously. If the fact people notified did not work, work your way up to the board of education, of course you need proper evidence + lots of people in support or you'll be done for wasting time and possibly kicked out of university. If someone going to take responsibility, they'll have to also face the consequences of what such things will be done to them as well.
Do you have an education and representation rep in your student's union? They may be able to offer advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending