The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
www.livemaths.co.uk
This taught me furthermaths verrrry well
I then used maths-forum for help on questions
So i got an A, by using those two sites and self teaching.
I do Further Maths and Biology A2 entirely on my own. The only input anyone has had is letting me use a lab for a day in my old 6th form to do my Biology practicals (which was very nice of them :smile: ). And to be honest, if someone gets tutors, it's not really "self studying"...

My exams in June: FP1, FP2, M3, STEP I, STEP II, AEA Maths, Biology unit 6

For the FM modules, I just do the exercises in the book + past papers. For Biology, cram revision guide 2 days before so that all the info is fresh and retrievable. For AEA/STEP, I'm just doing loads of past papers.
Reply 22
AshleyT
www.livemaths.co.uk
This taught me furthermaths verrrry well
I then used maths-forum for help on questions
So i got an A, by using those two sites and self teaching.

If only I'd have known about this 9 months ago! Unfortunately, it doesn't have much material for WJEC's FP's, but it looks great.

ziedj

to be honest, if someone gets tutors, it's not really "self studying"...

I don't agree with this. One hour a week of tutoring is noting compared the contact time you get for a subject in school, where they also set you structured exercises which guide you in the right direction for what you need to know. My tutor just answers any quieries that i have on any particular subject, maybe explains a little theory and so on. Its like a weekly progress check!
Reply 23
I'm currently teaching myself a few subjects before i go back
Reply 24
Nambat
I'm currently teaching myself a few subjects before i go back

go back to where?
My friend moved to China last year and he had to learn A-level maths in a summer.
I think he found it very tough at first, but after settling into a routine he found it ok.
Reply 26
to college, sorry if that post seemed a bit cryptic.
Reply 27
Jingo Vimes
If only I'd have known about this 9 months ago! Unfortunately, it doesn't have much material for WJEC's FP's, but it looks great.

I don't agree with this. One hour a week of tutoring is noting compared the contact time you get for a subject in school, where they also set you structured exercises which guide you in the right direction for what you need to know. My tutor just answers any quieries that i have on any particular subject, maybe explains a little theory and so on. Its like a weekly progress check!

I found with certain things they just didn't put it in the right sections.
Aka lots of the OCR FP stuff could probably go in the WJEC's section as well.
I'm self-teaching all of unit 5 Biology and the last 1/2 of all of my History modules. It's fine, apart from being left a little late. Of course, I need a teacher to mark my essays, so my history teacher's going to be given a nice essay of two tomorrow :colone:

Also, books are easy enough to come by, the internet has past papers for free and TSR is always there when you don't understand something :yep:
caroline147
Well, I know I said I had a lot of free time but it seems to melt away shockingly quickly :emo: I still have to fit studying in around job/friend stuff. So my timetables are normally quite vague, to be honest. I tend to study a unit over a week/two weeks (depending on subjects ie. maths/physics notes take less time than history/philosophy ones!), so my timetables are more notes on which units I'm covering on which weeks. I never quite keep up with the timetable though haha, so I do end up cramming a bit before exams instead of studying completely consistently :p: It's really not been that difficult so far though, I enjoy it.

I've not always self-studied, no, but last year (my AS year) I was really ill and missed a lot of college so ended up having to learn at home/in hospital from textbooks instead. Then after my exams, I realised that it suited me much better to learn that way so I quit college and have been self-teaching all this year for my A2s.

Are you thinking of self-studying?

sounds good, not sure id be able to be that disciplined though lol.
yeah i am :smile: how much does it cost for each a2 level?
im mainly worried about english because that has coursework.
also which would u say are hardest subjects out of the ones u do?

answer me pleash :'(

Latest