The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You think there's not much to draw?? I draw EVERYTHING.
Reply 2
can someone explain phagocytosis.
Reply 3
lexafish
You think there's not much to draw?? I draw EVERYTHING.

I've since drawn a massive diagram of the heart, xerophyte, transport of protein out of nucleus to Golgi apparatus etc etc.. so I've managed to find something :rolleyes:

Just don't know what more I can do as i've done notes/revision cards/posters/past papers. Hmm. :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Marshmellow.
I've since drawn a massive diagram of the heart, xerophyte, transport of protein out of nucleus to Golgi apparatus etc etc.. so I've managed to find something :rolleyes:

Just don't know what more I can do as i've done notes/revision cards/posters/past papers. Hmm. :rolleyes:

I take the specification and write notes on from every single point. It takes me hours, but I find that the book can be full of stuff which is interesting but not too relevant.
Reply 5
TX22
can someone explain phagocytosis.

I'm conscious this may sound patronising- I'm sorry- this is how i remember it

The pathogen has chemical markers (called antigens) which mark it out as foreign.
The antibodies on the phagocyte bind to the pathogen
The pathogen is engulfed by the phagocyte membrane
The pathogen is trapped in a vacuole celled a phagosome
Lysosomes then release lysins (digestive enzymes) into the phagosome and the pathogen is digested
The products of digestion are harmless and are absorbed

I actually feel quite sorry for the pathogen :-(
Reply 6
antigens - protein molecules found on membrane of pathogens that stimulate an immune response. they have a specific shape.

antibodies - protein molecules that can identify and neutralise antigens. They are specific to certain antigens. They have a specific shape that is complementary to a particular antigen.
Reply 7
how do you get an "A" in this stupid topic (F211 AND F212)? im really stressed cant wait till its all over!!!!
Reply 8
lexafish
I'm conscious this may sound patronising- I'm sorry- this is how i remember it

The pathogen has chemical markers (called antigens) which mark it out as foreign.
The antibodies on the phagocyte bind to the pathogen
The pathogen is engulfed by the phagocyte membrane
The pathogen is trapped in a vacuole celled a phagosome
Lysosomes then release lysins (digestive enzymes) into the phagosome and the pathogen is digested
The products of digestion are harmless and are absorbed

I actually feel quite sorry for the pathogen :-(

wooooohoooo at least you know what your talking about:biggrin: thanks for posting this now i get it, ur better than my teacher :biggrin:
Reply 9
shuty
how do you get an "A" in this stupid topic (F211 AND F212)? im really stressed cant wait till its all over!!!!

Depends how you learn best. It's just a case of doing revision in a way which makes you learn whatever you need to learn. And ask yourself questions at every spare moment (I make myself a pack of revision cards) and this will tell you what you keep forgetting over and over. So then you do some heavy revision on those areas. If there's any particular areas youre struggling with let me know and I can help. :smile: Oh and past papers of course, from them you can normally predict what's going to come up, especially as the spec is so new. I tend to do one before revision and then one after.. Reassures me that my revision has been productive/worked. :smile:
Reply 10
Marshmellow.
Depends how you learn best. It's just a case of doing revision in a way which makes you learn whatever you need to learn. And ask yourself questions at every spare moment (I make myself a pack of revision cards) and this will tell you what you keep forgetting over and over. So then you do some heavy revision on those areas. If there's any particular areas youre struggling with let me know and I can help. :smile: Oh and past papers of course, from them you can normally predict what's going to come up, especially as the spec is so new. I tend to do one before revision and then one after.. Reassures me that my revision has been productive/worked. :smile:

I’ve made flash cards I think they are really helpful, and I’ve got a load of past papers so hopefully ill be coming out the other end with an A, and thanks I think I might need help on the immunology section, ill let you know after I’ve done a bit of revision on it, what do you think might come up ?:smile:
Reply 11
i predict that in the F212 exam alot on food, health will come up

june 2009 had loads of biodiversity, jan 2010 had loads of biomolecules.

i also think t lymphocytes stuff and immunity will come up.
Reply 12
Hey does anyone know what past papers to use when revising for UNIT 2 - the biodiversity, natural selection section (module 3) ?
its not in biology foundation on human health and diesease and its not in transport?
:frown:
Reply 13
shuty
I’ve made flash cards I think they are really helpful, and I’ve got a load of past papers so hopefully ill be coming out the other end with an A, and thanks I think I might need help on the immunology section, ill let you know after I’ve done a bit of revision on it, what do you think might come up ?:smile:

Sure thing, the immunology section is my favourite bit. :biggrin:
I'm not sure just yet, I haven't looked at any past papers, will be doing that probably on Sunday. Once I've done the past papers I'll be able to have a guess. Do you have any idea?
Reply 14
Nkhan
Hey does anyone know what past papers to use when revising for UNIT 2 - the biodiversity, natural selection section (module 3) ?
its not in biology foundation on human health and diesease and its not in transport?
:frown:

Have you done the June 09 and specimen paper?
Reply 15
everyone i have a feeling loads of stuff on food and health will come up like immunity, smoking, etc
Reply 16
TX22
everyone i have a feeling loads of stuff on food and health will come up like immunity, smoking, etc

I hope so I love that stuff. :biggrin: HATE biological molecules. Only thing that I don't mind in that module is enzymes.
Reply 17
Marshmellow.
Have you done the June 09 and specimen paper?

Yeaaap, ive done that :smile:
I just thought that there was gonna be a specific set of papers from the old sylabus that had the stuff on mod 3 :/
Reply 18
Nkhan
Yeaaap, ive done that :smile:
I just thought that there was gonna be a specific set of papers from the old sylabus that had the stuff on mod 3 :/

Ohh the legacy papers? Is it useful to do them? I thought Mod 3 was a new module. :p:
Reply 19
This Junes paper better not be anything like last junes, there was a crazy amount of biodiversity in it! Worth 31 marks, my teacher rushed through biodiveristy in the last 2 weeks of school!