Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Horse Racing Thread

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hhaa lovely. At Aintree though i would have quite happily sacked the drink and spent the money on petrol and parking, the train was hell
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah, Ive never actually been to Aintree yet and I call myself a horse racing fan huh :P

Wow Just noticed the time, need to be up for work in less then 7 hours!! Argh!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aintree is fab, Cheltenham is probably better for true horse racing fans though? By Aintree it's warmed up enough for people to use it as a day out and it feels like the horse racing is not as important
    hahah i've gone totally nocturnal during study leave
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha, lol, yeah at Cheltenham it seems everyone knows there stuff and takes it so serious! Maybe I'll have to give Aintree a go!

Yeah guess its the joys of being a "Mature" student :P Albeit only 22 :P, I dont have to worry about College and Exams, just about getting up for work at 7-15 AM Monday-Friday hehe.

Have fun studying and lets continue this tommorow haha.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paper_planes)
    classier horses are entered... and then beaten by the likes of Don't Push It. Don't get me wrong all credit to McCoy, but you aint going to see that in the King George any time soon
    Time will tell, though I suspect you're probably right there (though don't forget he was nailed on to at least place in what surely must be one of the worst Arkles of all time a few years back). If you look at the general profile of National winners (the likes of Hedgehunter and even Mon Mome) I think it is being won by a higher class of horse than before though - due to the handicapper giving them more incentive. Can only be a good thing as well imo. BTW I would back Denman to give upwards of a stone to Don't Push It.

York is a handy spot for racing btw. Hell of a track for the Ebor and near the likes of Thirsk, Ripon, Wetherby etc. Plenty of racing if you want it though I've been too busy drinking this year to manage to make much of it. Riding out in Middleham is a very handy way of making a few quid as well on the weekend if finances get really desperate!! Good laugh as well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not a great Arkle but it is a case of 'what might have been' with many of the horses who ran in it.

Don't Push It lost his confidence after that fall and only began to recover it last season. Twist Magic became a monkey, but is near untouchable when he is on song at Sandown. My Way De Solzen was a fortunate winner but was never the same after Kauto Star "broke" him in the Betfair Chase. Even Jack The Giant may have been Ryanair standard if injury hadn't intervened.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i agree, mon mome is classy, and proved a lot of people wrong in the king george, but then only to give Coleman his second kicking of the week.

Twist Magic after absolutely owning the victor chandler i don't think has impressed since. I think many of Nicholls top string have had their day, and with the exception of What a Friend and a few hurdlers i'm struggeling to see new Kauto stars?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    French trainers are breaking the novice statuses of their horses as quickly as possible to deter the likes of Nicholls from buying them. The French option is getting more expensive as a result.

I would love to see Clive Smith buy Kauto Stone though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, Yeah but they pay some crazy prices for them french horses though!, If only we could all afford to buy them
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Exactly; the French option is still very much a viable one given the money the likes of Clive Smith are willing to spend. In Bromley and Liam Burke in Ireland, he also has two of the best judges around.

He may not have the next Kauto Star in his string this year (not likely we'll see one as good in a long long time anyway) but he does have the likes of Tataniano, Najaf, Ghizao and even Al Ferof to look forward to (off the top of my head anyway!). Towers over the NH game in much the same way Willie Mullins does in Ireland. Two fantastic trainers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but would you agree it makes the game slightly boring? That just because they have the richest owners/most horses in training they win everything. Id much prefer to see 10 different trainers win the 10 major races for 10 saturdays in a row, than see Paul Nicholls win them all.

Just my opinion though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Nicholls domination makes the small trainer triumphs all the more wonderful. I love the Lie Forrit and Senor El Betrutti stories.

At least Nicholls horses are usually shockingly underpriced. This means there is often good value to be found elsewhere.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, was really happy to see Lie Forrit in at Cheltenham in November, hehe, i took so many pictures of him !
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kauto Star)
    The Nicholls domination makes the small trainer triumphs all the more wonderful. I love the Lie Forrit and Senor El Betrutti stories.

At least Nicholls horses are usually shockingly underpriced. This means there is often good value to be found elsewhere.
    agree with this. So nice to see small yards do really well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yo Paper_planes, I was wondering how big horse racing is in Ireland.

I know it is less of a minority sport than over here, and everyone knows Ruby Walsh and the racing dynasties. But where does it rank alongside hurling, gaelic football etc?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always thought hurling was bigger, but according to my mother it's not, 'gah' as us lazy sods call it is huuuge, and hurling is too. They both sort of have premiership football status.
    Actual football isn't as big.

I think more people are likely to go racing as a day out here, esp with all the big courses, Naas, fairyhouse, leopardsdown, punchesdown so near Dublin.

We also have as well as point to pointing, flapping... not sure if you have that in the UK.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kauto Star)

I'm not all that bothered by it tbh. Nicholls is where he is because he has proven himself to be an absolutely top class trainer. Nice to see smaller yards doing well as you say, and can create a decent punting angle.

I think racing in Ireland is more ingrained in society than in the UK if that makes any sense, though maybe that's just because I am from a heavily racing background and area. That said, racecourse attendance in Ireland is, on the whole, declining steadily. Certainly not as popular as GAA, which in turn is not as popular as the Premiership.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paper_planes)
    I always thought hurling was bigger, but according to my mother it's not, 'gah' as us lazy sods call it is huuuge, and hurling is too. They both sort of have premiership football status.
    Actual football isn't as big.

I think more people are likely to go racing as a day out here, esp with all the big courses, Naas, fairyhouse, leopardsdown, punchesdown so near Dublin.

We also have as well as point to pointing, flapping... not sure if you have that in the UK.
    Turn up to Fairyhouse or Punchestown at a run of the mill meeting and it really is a depressing experience.

You can't just say hurling is bigger than football btw; very much depends on the area. Most people I know at home live and breath football, and most of those have never held a hurley in their lives. Am sure the opposite is true in Kilkenny etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teofilo)
    Turn up to Fairyhouse or Punchestown at a run of the mill meeting and it really is a depressing experience.

You can't just say hurling is bigger than football btw; very much depends on the area. Most people I know at home live and breath football, and most of those have never held a hurley in their lives. Am sure the opposite is true in Kilkenny etc.
    noo where i am hurling is huge, but actual like people who watch it, the figures are higher for gealic football.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the place like I said. I'm Meath and hurling is very much second to football.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 27, 2013
New on TSR

Which unis have the poshest students?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.