The Student Room Group
There will be some people that are really career driven and others that aren't...wierdly, it's like that at all universities.
Reply 2
CrookedLegs
There will be some people that are really career driven and others that aren't...wierdly, it's like that at all universities.

Well, since i won't be going to all universities that's not really the answer i am looking for
Reply 3
As a first year English student I am completely unaware of any career obsessions, although perhaps that's not suprising. I find it quite refreshing how most of the PPEists I know aren't remotely career obsessed. I'm sure some are, but I was expecting them all to be ridiculously ambitious, and that's not the case. So personally, I'm unaware of it, but a third year student studying a different subject would probably have a different perspective.

As far as I can see, though, it doesn't seem to affect student life that much. I imagine it affects you as much as you want it to, if that makes sense.
JRBDK
Well, since i won't be going to all universities that's not really the answer i am looking for

What I meant was that it's hard to say if there would be more ambition than at other universities; some students will be ambitious, some won't (which happens at all universities.)
Reply 5
Most people I know here have no idea what they're going to do when they graduate, with the exception of the medics (obviously) and some of those with economics related degrees who have landed placements. However the resources and guidance are there if you can be bothered, along with big career fairs and employer events.

But obsession? None. It doesn't really affect student life at all, people hardly mention it other than "I've got an interview tomorrow". The only effect it has depends on how much time you personally spend doing something career related.
Reply 6
not necessarily career obsessions, but the unfortunate part of oxford is that a lot of people take their degree extremely seriously with a view to a successful career, particularly in subjects like e+m/law. when it comes down to it a lot of people put their degree before everything. its a bit annoying, but then thats what you kinda expect if you go to oxford.
Reply 7
A number of people (in certain subjects more than others- I'm thinking mainly PPE, E&M, Law etc.) are exceptionally driven, but all it means is that they're proactive in sorting out internships, going to talks, meeting with companies etc; it doesn't typically manifest itself in everyday academic affairs, or socially. Equally, no-one will think any worse of you for having no idea what you want to do after university, even some way into your degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending