The Student Room Group

A level choices and doing law at university

Hey, i am currently in year 11 and am going in to sixth form at my current school. I want to do law at university but im a bit confused if my choices are ok. I chose English Language, History, Psychology and ICT for practitioners (which is a BTEC not an A level). ICT for practitioners is what im confused about as i understand that you need 3 A's at A level for most law courses. But as ICT for practitioners is a BTEC, im assuming it wont count towards that meaning i would have to do all four subjects as A levels as you cant drop ICT for practitioners in your second year which would give me 3 A levels and a BTEC. But i was hoping to drop psychology in my second year but that would mean i have 2 full a levels, one As and a BTEC. So would it be ok if i did ICT for practitioners or should i just change it to ICT or can you suggest any others. Thanks.

BTW i did ICT for practitioners at GCSE and the only reason i chose it was so i could finish ICT for practitioners otherwise i only have half of the BTEC (i think) and the only reason i want to do ICT as a subject was as a back up plan if i get bad grades and cant do law at university, i got something to fall back on. Thanks again. :biggrin:
Hey, am goin to university of hull dis year and am goin to do law. My Alevel subjects were Eng-Lit, Politics and Law itself. Most people think its not a big deal to do Law in Alevels since ur gonna do it in Uni, but let me tell you it helps alot as it boosts ur confidence that u ve an idea of wat ur gonna be studying. Instead of Politcs i'll rather go for history and psychology. Hope dis as helped, goodluck in choosing ur subs.
Reply 2
shanemp94
Hey, i am currently in year 11 and am going in to sixth form at my current school. I want to do law at university but im a bit confused if my choices are ok. I chose English Language, History, Psychology and ICT for practitioners (which is a BTEC not an A level). ICT for practitioners is what im confused about as i understand that you need 3 A's at A level for most law courses. But as ICT for practitioners is a BTEC, im assuming it wont count towards that meaning i would have to do all four subjects as A levels as you cant drop ICT for practitioners in your second year which would give me 3 A levels and a BTEC. But i was hoping to drop psychology in my second year but that would mean i have 2 full a levels, one As and a BTEC. So would it be ok if i did ICT for practitioners or should i just change it to ICT or can you suggest any others. Thanks.

BTW i did ICT for practitioners at GCSE and the only reason i chose it was so i could finish ICT for practitioners otherwise i only have half of the BTEC (i think) and the only reason i want to do ICT as a subject was as a back up plan if i get bad grades and cant do law at university, i got something to fall back on. Thanks again. :biggrin:

i'm going to do law next year at exeter, with a-levels in eng-lit, german and psychology

obviously, it depends what sort of law school you're aiming to go for, as the one's which expect three As at a-level may not consider your subjects academic enough.

admittedly, you have history which is a sought after alevel amongst law schools, but i don't know if doing eng-lang, psychology and ICT is the wisest choice

if you told us what sort of law schools you were hoping to apply to, then it would be easier to advise you
Reply 3
shanemp94

There are no strict subject requirements for studying law at degree level but it's generally recommended that you study as many "traditional" subjects as possible. In theory, there is absolutely nothing wrong with studying History, English Language, Psychology and ICT but if you're hoping to apply to some of the top schools then you will need a minimum of 3 A-level grades. In that respect I'd definitely advise against carrying ICT onto A2 level if you also plan to drop one of your other 3 subjects.

In the meantime, I've moved this thread to the law forum.
Reply 4
I did History, English Literature and Spanish and I'm doing a Law degree now... So humanities would be better I think.
Reply 5
I currently do A-level Economics, Math, Government & Politics. Also did AS-level Philosophy.

I think they prefer more traditional subjects and a good range?
Reply 6
So would you advise against ICT and Psychology then? I could do English Literature and English language if that would be better. Also I would like to go to the best universities as possible :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending