The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
This sounds a bit like me really, although I'm not yet at uni. I applied for IR & Politics this year but I've had a lot of doubt about whether I should take a year out and reapply for 2011 entry for Radiotherapy (I already have science A levels). Although I am interested in the subject, getting the jobs that lead on from my degree that I find appealing seem to involve having these elusive 'connections', or doing unpaid internships which I cannot afford. Radiotherapy = no tuition fees, NHS bursaries, almost guaranteed job, and I find healthcare interesting.

Sorry this post hasn't been much help. It does sound like you have a real talent for linguistics and not a great deal of passion for science.
Apocalypti
Oh I see, that sounds good.

Hell yeah, it sounds a lot more interesting than analysing a piece of novel/play/poetry.

Yeah that's where I fail. I study languages, but only speak one. :rolleyes: :p:

My uni do publish lists, though haven't really seen any yet. I know that the usual paths are lexicographer, academia, teaching, media, journalism etc. but although journalism doesn't sound too bad, I would prefer a job which is more hands-on, and practical, rather than purely academic or just involves sitting at a desk.

If your linguistic degree has you analysing pieces as you say surely that means publishing is something you could go into? becoming a book editor?

According to Prospects Im right :grin: linkage
Apocalypti
X

Perhaps its because of the way I view education and the purpose for going to university, but I'm going to go against a lot of people in this thread and say that it's all very well enjoying your degree, but if you don't want the future it will give you, there's little point in taking it.

Let me use myself as an example: I was originally going to study maths. I enjoyed maths a lot, and have no doubt that I would have found university mathematics extremely interesting ... but I really did not want to do the graduate jobs that most maths graduates go into (mainly in finance, and I'm just not interested in working within those circles.) About the only thing that I might have been interested in was going into teaching, and even that was a 'lesser of two evils' deal. So, on results day, I asked to be released and entered Clearing, through which I got onto an optometry course. I'm thoroughly enjoying this degree, but what makes it even better is thinking of the day I'm a qualified optometrist and the years that I'll be hopefully happy in my job. I really want to do and be that, and it makes having to work harder at optometry than I probably would have had to at maths worth it.

The big question here is, do you want to be a radiographer or are you just picking at random because you don't want to continue doing linguistics? If you don't know where you want to be, there's no harm or shame in taking a few years out of education to figure out what you should do.
Reply 23
OK everyone, thanks for your input! :smile:

I'm going to go ahead and carry on. I have to finish what I started and it's only another two years before I can graduate and choose to move onto something else, but at the end of it, at least I'll have (hopefully) a good degree in my hand to fall back on. A lot of people are struggling on their degrees, why should I pass up something this good?

Thanks everyone!
Having a "good degree to fall back on" but I don't think it's necessarily going to be useful unless you know what you want to aim for, you know?

When I was in school we were told all the things about university being the best thing to do, because graduates do great things, and get paid more, and it's easier to find a job etc etc etc. Which, let's be honest, is mostly rubbish. Of all the people I can think of from my year who have now graduated from university, 50% of them AT MOST are working in a 'proper' job. And only a very select few of those are doing something directly related to their degree. Because if you think about it, very few degrees have a specific career path.

What I'm trying to say is, don't just resign yourself to doing something because you think it's what you ought to do.

Why did you choose Linguistics in the first place? If you could study any subject, what would it be, what are you really interested in? And, degree subjects aside, if you have a career in anything, what would it be?
Reply 25
Have you thought about transferring to london but carring on with the same course? You seem to be good at the subject and there are a lot of jobs that don't require a specific degree.
Reply 26
Apocalypti
Hi everyone. I'm really confused right now about my whole degree.

Right, I got back a piece of coursework this morning, and was shocked at receiving a score of 90 (very high first) in one of my modules. The first line of my tutor's feedback stated: "This is arguably the best first year analysis that I have marked in nearly 40 years of teaching. I would have given this a clear First at Part II level, let alone Part I", "this is stunningly good" and "you also write extremely well while conducting a pretty detailed and precise level of analysis. Please take LING210 stylistics!"

This is all really good... but I've been considering for a while now to drop out of my linguistics degree and study a subject which leads me straight into employment. I really don't know how I'm going to get a job after this degree, and I'll be in tons of debt. I'm also in Lancaster at the moment, and really miss people from back home in London. I'm also on a year-abroad type degree, which means I'll have to move all the way to Canada this August/September for my 2nd year, then come back to Lancaster for a final year. I am homesick.

My alternative plan to this degree would be to spend next year getting science A Levels, and then getting myself onto a radiography degree in London and live at home (or renting somewhere cheap with my fiance), then move in with him once I get a permanent job. Whilst I'm not really talented in science, I reckon I could do above-average with some hard work and get a secure, stable job at the end.

I really don't know. I need an outsider's point of view. Should I continue this degree, move to Canada, knowing that I could probably do "well" in this subject, but not really sure about where this will lead me, job-wise... or start a science degree which will most likely get me a job at the end even though I will probably struggle?

The thing I want most is to get a job quickly so that I can move out with my boyfriend and start building a future with him. What could I do with this degree even if I got a 1st?

Help. :frown: Ask me questions if anything is unclear.

You sound a little like me, but I haven't started my undergraduate degree in linguistics yet. I'm still a little unsure about whether I should go into this degree or take a second gap year and reapply for speech and language therapy. I love psychology, linguistics and communication, but I'm still not 100% sure if SLT is the ideal career for me. If I go for it then I need to be really sure that it's what I want to do. A degree in speech and language therapy would surely leave me with even less options than one in English language and linguistics! The idea of paid tuition fees, registration with RCSLT and a practical degree course specific to a career really appeals to me. Academically, a degree in SLT has all the subjects I like, but I'm not sure if I actually want to be a speech and language therapist. Any advice? Your post is a little disheartening, because it seems that even though you're doing so well in your course you still don't really enjoy it. Maybe we're both just thinking too far ahead in worrying about whether our degrees are ultimately worth it. It seems that most averagely paid jobs demand a 2:1 in any subject.

I'm also in Lancaster at the moment, and really miss people from back home in London. Maybe you could transfer onto a different linguistics course. King's, UCL and Queen Mary all have very different language/linguistics courses. Being closer to home might make your last few years a little more enjoyable.

What could I do with this degree even if I got a 1st?
Linguistic research (MA/MRes > PhD), PGCE Primary, PGCE Secondary English (supposedly more competitive for language rather than literature graduates), teaching English as a foreign language, speech and language therapy (postgraduate route), publishing, civil service, public relations, editorial assistant and non-specific degree jobs in marketing, advertising, sales etc. Surely, there are more options available to you than most arts graduates?
Reply 27
portugueseninja
Having a "good degree to fall back on" but I don't think it's necessarily going to be useful unless you know what you want to aim for, you know?

When I was in school we were told all the things about university being the best thing to do, because graduates do great things, and get paid more, and it's easier to find a job etc etc etc. Which, let's be honest, is mostly rubbish. Of all the people I can think of from my year who have now graduated from university, 50% of them AT MOST are working in a 'proper' job. And only a very select few of those are doing something directly related to their degree. Because if you think about it, very few degrees have a specific career path.

What I'm trying to say is, don't just resign yourself to doing something because you think it's what you ought to do.

Why did you choose Linguistics in the first place? If you could study any subject, what would it be, what are you really interested in? And, degree subjects aside, if you have a career in anything, what would it be?

Hmm, I disagree that a degree is only useful if you know what to aim for. It would be nice if I knew what would come out at the end, but as you mentioned, few degrees have a specific career path, so I may aswell just do it.

I chose linguistics because it seemed easy and I didn't really know what else to pick. Everyone kept on suggesting picking something I enjoyed. I don't know what I would study if I could study anything. I enjoy music, but wouldn't want to study it as an academic subject, I just like playing the piano all day. :rolleyes: I did A level music and realised that the highly theoretical side and history of music was rather dry. :s-smilie:

If I could have a career in anything, I would like to be a novelist, musician or a property developer (or all 3). But I have to be realistic. I'm a mediocre musician at best, I doubt I can make a living writing novels, and I'm too much of an idealist to be those things anyway.
Reply 28
oddsox
Have you thought about transferring to london but carring on with the same course? You seem to be good at the subject and there are a lot of jobs that don't require a specific degree.

I have contacted two unis (UCL and SOAS) about it. The former said it would be unlikely as they have no more spaces for home students, the latter said that I could make an application to them, but I would need to say why I wanted to study specifically at SOAS, and I'd need a reference, transcript etc. to show that my first year modules are similar enough to their course. No other unis in London do 'pure' linguistics as far as I'm aware.

Edit: and even if I could transfer, I think it's too late at this stage, and I should really focus on my exams rather than making a new application, writing a personal statement and chasing up my tutors for a reference...
Reply 29
MDEH8176
You sound a little like me, but I haven't started my undergraduate degree in linguistics yet. I'm still a little unsure about whether I should go into this degree or take a second gap year and reapply for speech and language therapy. I love psychology, linguistics and communication, but I'm still not 100% sure if SLT is the ideal career for me. If I go for it then I need to be really sure that it's what I want to do. A degree in speech and language therapy would surely leave me with even less options than one in English language and linguistics! The idea of paid tuition fees, registration with RCSLT and a practical degree course specific to a career really appeals to me. Academically, a degree in SLT has all the subjects I like, but I'm not sure if I actually want to be a speech and language therapist. Any advice? Your post is a little disheartening, because it seems that even though you're doing so well in your course you still don't really enjoy it. Maybe we're both just thinking too far ahead in worrying about whether our degrees are ultimately worth it. It seems that most averagely paid jobs demand a 2:1 in any subject.

I'm also in Lancaster at the moment, and really miss people from back home in London. Maybe you could transfer onto a different linguistics course. King's, UCL and Queen Mary all have very different language/linguistics courses. Being closer to home might make your last few years a little more enjoyable.

What could I do with this degree even if I got a 1st?
Linguistic research (MA/MRes > PhD), PGCE Primary, PGCE Secondary English (supposedly more competitive for language rather than literature graduates), teaching English as a foreign language, speech and language therapy (postgraduate route), publishing, civil service, public relations, editorial assistant and non-specific degree jobs in marketing, advertising, sales etc. Surely, there are more options available to you than most arts graduates?

It's so late into the year, I don't think there would really be any space on any more courses and I did contact a couple of unis last month (see above).

I would have thought a SLT degree would be as useful as a linguistics degree. There is a practical component, dealing with patients in a clinical environment, as well as having the academic content...

Anyway, I think I'll stay at my current uni and do the year abroad. The reason why I applied to Lancaster in the first place is because of the unique course, and it would be a shame to see that go to waste.
Apocalypti
Language therapists need to do a degree in Speech and Language Therapy, but I have considered that as a job, and it isn't something that really appeals to me. I am a kind of person who prefers patient contact over a relatively short period of time, rather than being with one patient for hours day after day.

How do you cope with the long distance btw? Where is his year abroad?

I do speech and language therapy, we certainly don't see the same patient for hours day after day- the complete opposite really. I mean if you worked in a hospital maybe this would be closer to the case, but out and about in the community, it's def not. Also, if you did consider the course- you can do an accelerated 2 years master course so long as you have a relevant degree (which you would should you continue).
Anyway, moving on from SLT, at the end of the day- you've got to continue with the course for another 2 years. It's not a great period of time in the long run but at the time, it will feel like a very long time if you're not happy. I mean it's harder because you're good at what you're doing, but you sound like you're having serious doubts. Can you talk to your parents? I mean they probably know you better than anyone. I wouldn't do anything drastic without giving it a lot of thought and making sure you've thought about/ discussed all your options.
Good luck!
Reply 31
Apocalypti
x

Look, you're doing really well at your course and presumably you like it. Don't think that just because you have a science degree, by definition, you will go straight into employment. If you have even any sense of doubt of working as a scientist (of any sort, I'm using it as a general term) don't drop out.

Like many UK students, you're suffering from 'what if I did xyz instead...?'-syndrome - unfortunately (and fortunately, depending on which way you look at it) the system in the UK pigeonholes you into one subject and allows very little freedom.

Also, OP, come on - you're in your early 20s (I'm guessing) and you MUST have been passionate enough about Canada to want to spend an entire year abroad there. DO IT. Canada is probably a fantastic country OP.

Finally: you are a first year. GIVE IT TIME! Barely anyone knows what they want to do with their degree in the first year. If you graduate with a great degree in Linguistics you'll still have a lot of doors open to you. Don't be scared.
Reply 32
Apocalypti
Hi everyone. I'm really confused right now about my whole degree.

Right, I got back a piece of coursework this morning, and was shocked at receiving a score of 90 (very high first) in one of my modules. The first line of my tutor's feedback stated: "This is arguably the best first year analysis that I have marked in nearly 40 years of teaching. I would have given this a clear First at Part II level, let alone Part I", "this is stunningly good" and "you also write extremely well while conducting a pretty detailed and precise level of analysis. Please take LING210 stylistics!"

This is all really good... but I've been considering for a while now to drop out of my linguistics degree and study a subject which leads me straight into employment. I really don't know how I'm going to get a job after this degree, and I'll be in tons of debt. I'm also in Lancaster at the moment, and really miss people from back home in London. I'm also on a year-abroad type degree, which means I'll have to move all the way to Canada this August/September for my 2nd year, then come back to Lancaster for a final year. I am homesick.

My alternative plan to this degree would be to spend next year getting science A Levels, and then getting myself onto a radiography degree in London and live at home (or renting somewhere cheap with my fiance), then move in with him once I get a permanent job. Whilst I'm not really talented in science, I reckon I could do above-average with some hard work and get a secure, stable job at the end.

I really don't know. I need an outsider's point of view. Should I continue this degree, move to Canada, knowing that I could probably do "well" in this subject, but not really sure about where this will lead me, job-wise... or start a science degree which will most likely get me a job at the end even though I will probably struggle?

The thing I want most is to get a job quickly so that I can move out with my boyfriend and start building a future with him. What could I do with this degree even if I got a 1st?

Help. :frown: Ask me questions if anything is unclear.

Finish and go into Speech Therapy, Teaching, MI5/6 etc. or general Graduate Schemes or convert to Law or GEM.

Linguistics is a science (in my opinion anyway). So if you are good at linguistics, you'll probably be good at science.

That said, if you choose to switch to a "science" degree make sure it is one which really gives you more options. I.e. NOT biology or biochemistry or molecular medicine.

Best wishes,
Don't take something simply for career motivations, especially when the alternative looks like a first in liguistics, stick with it :smile:
Reply 34
Georgiahoneybee
x

Could you explain what kind of work you do in the community, as I only have the general idea of hospital SLTs dealing with stroke patients etc. and helping them to gain their ability to speak.
trm90
x
llys
x
wilson_smith

OK I'm carrying on with my degree. There are many reasons why I chose this course in the first place. I'm sure my 2nd year options will be more interesting, and also being in another country for a year will help me grow as a person. I will do more research with SLT, and I will try to consider other options, maybe publising, etc. Not sure how I would go into the MI5/6 without being bilingual. Out of interest, why doesn't biology or molecular medicine, etc. give you many options? I had the impression most science degrees were suitable for as many graduate schemes as arts/humanities degrees.

Thanks for your replies.
Reply 35
Apocalypti
Out of interest, why doesn't biology or molecular medicine, etc. give you many options? I had the impression most science degrees were suitable for as many graduate schemes as arts/humanities degrees.

Oh yes, this definitely. But not any more than Linguistics, so you might as well stick with that.

I thought you were wanting to change to a "science" degree because it would give you MORE options. This is true for STEM subjects: science (= chemistry, physics), technology, engineering and maths, because these are _numerate_ subjects. IMO the same is not true for biology/biochemistry/molecular medicine - here your best options are research (need PhD etc, then very insecure career progression and badly underpaid) or teaching, or general graduate schemes - these are all things you can do with a degree in Linguistics as well, although obviously your research would be in a different area. (Although there are overlaps.) If you wanted to switch to Medicine, that would be a different matter since that is a vocational subject.
Apocalypti
Could you explain what kind of work you do in the community, as I only have the general idea of hospital SLTs dealing with stroke patients etc. and helping them to gain their ability to speak.

Yeah sure! Well the settings an SLT works in kind of depends if you're thinking of working adults and children. A fair amount of the adult work is in hopsitals, but some SLTs are based in community clinics or other bases and go out and visit clients either in their own homes or in nursing homes, that kind of thing. When working with stroke patients in hospitals; the focus is often more on swallowing difficulties- this isn't something I want to go into personally. I prefer the voice or language difficulties, which can be hospital based but is much more outpatient than inpatient.
If you're thinking about working with children (which is where my passion lies), a lot of the work is within schools. I mean obviously SLTs are involved with special needs children. I suppose if you're based in one school you will be seeing the same children repeatedly, but not hours a day and this gives you the opportunity to build up relationships. Other SLTs visit a number of schools. Some SLTs are based in community clinics, a lot of this work tends to be with preschool children and because often this is the first port of call for these children, you see a real variety of children and this is where I see myself.
Obviously when you offer a client a block of therapy, you will be seeing them regularly. But realistically, unless you are in an inpatient setting, this will be an hour once a week (which you can view as fortunate since you don't fancy the idea of working the same person constantly or unfortunate since it's not a lot of therapy really). Wow, sorry I've gone on and on haha, but basically what I'm trying to say is there really is such a range of settings you can work in. You experience a lot of them while training but when you graduate, you can choose what really suits you!
Reply 37
llys
Oh yes, this definitely. But not any more than Linguistics, so you might as well stick with that.

I thought you were wanting to change to a "science" degree because it would give you MORE options. This is true for STEM subjects: science (= chemistry, physics), technology, engineering and maths, because these are _numerate_ subjects. IMO the same is not true for biology/biochemistry/molecular medicine - here your best options are research (need PhD etc, then very insecure career progression and badly underpaid) or teaching, or general graduate schemes - these are all things you can do with a degree in Linguistics as well, although obviously your research would be in a different area. (Although there are overlaps.) If you wanted to switch to Medicine, that would be a different matter since that is a vocational subject.

Not at all, I was considering changing to a degree in radiography specifically (as there is a direct vocational job afterwards), not a general science degree.
Reply 38
Georgiahoneybee
Yeah sure! Well the settings an SLT works in kind of depends if you're thinking of working adults and children. A fair amount of the adult work is in hopsitals, but some SLTs are based in community clinics or other bases and go out and visit clients either in their own homes or in nursing homes, that kind of thing. When working with stroke patients in hospitals; the focus is often more on swallowing difficulties- this isn't something I want to go into personally. I prefer the voice or language difficulties, which can be hospital based but is much more outpatient than inpatient.
If you're thinking about working with children (which is where my passion lies), a lot of the work is within schools. I mean obviously SLTs are involved with special needs children. I suppose if you're based in one school you will be seeing the same children repeatedly, but not hours a day and this gives you the opportunity to build up relationships. Other SLTs visit a number of schools. Some SLTs are based in community clinics, a lot of this work tends to be with preschool children and because often this is the first port of call for these children, you see a real variety of children and this is where I see myself.
Obviously when you offer a client a block of therapy, you will be seeing them regularly. But realistically, unless you are in an inpatient setting, this will be an hour once a week (which you can view as fortunate since you don't fancy the idea of working the same person constantly or unfortunate since it's not a lot of therapy really). Wow, sorry I've gone on and on haha, but basically what I'm trying to say is there really is such a range of settings you can work in. You experience a lot of them while training but when you graduate, you can choose what really suits you!

Thanks. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending