The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Last year I didn't hand in my first draft until the start of Year 13. Still had loads of time to edit whatever I needed to and in time for October 15th (if you're applying for Oxbridge).

So basically you can chill for a while.
I didn't even think about starting mine until September, as long as you're on the ball then I don't think it's necessary to do it 6 months in advance. Though I guess it takes the pressure off your careers teacher, expecially if it's a big school. Why don't you write about all the stuff you're going to do, and what you hope to get out of it, then just change it later?
Reply 3
Marie-Claire
I didn't even think about starting mine until September, as long as you're on the ball then I don't think it's necessary to do it 6 months in advance. Though I guess it takes the pressure off your careers teacher, expecially if it's a big school. Why don't you write about all the stuff you're going to do, and what you hope to get out of it, then just change it later?

I don't want to start it 6 months in advance, but my head of year is making us :frown:

That's good advice.. I'll do that, but I'm just going to have to be really general and basic about what I learn/achieve from each experience.
Reply 4
WHHAAATTTT?
im yeah 12 and i thought we had to do it in september? AHHHHH
Reply 5
Write as if you've already done all the stuff. You know why you're going to be doing that stuff, so put that down as what you got out of it.
Reply 6
They made us hand in a first draft before summer, then we carried on working on it when we got back after summer.
Reply 7
becca-x
My head of year has told year 12 that we have to have our personal statements finished before summer. This is awful for me as I'm going to be doing everything that I'm going to write about during summer, so my personal statement is literally going to be blank when I hand it in.

I was just wondering, when are current year 12s starting on theirs?

You probably mis-interpreted what your head of year said. It's probably a first draft. Besides, UCAS deadline is not until for you guys like 15th January 2011..
Just do a generic rubbish one based on the achievements that you have done so far.
You're the one who types/c+p 's it into your ucas form, so you have the ultimate decision of what goes in there. What you hand in to your school now won't be what is eventually submitted.
Enjoy your summer then write an awesome personal statement when you return. :smile:
It won't hurt to start planning it now though.
Started mine on Oct 2nd...away by Oct 9th :biggrin:
Reply 10
JB Johnstone
Just do a generic rubbish one based on the achievements that you have done so far.
You're the one who types/c+p 's it into your ucas form, so you have the ultimate decision of what goes in there. What you hand in to your school now won't be what is eventually submitted.
Enjoy your summer then write an awesome personal statement when you return. :smile:
It won't hurt to start planning it now though.

Ah that doesn't sound so bad, thanks :smile:
Well we have to give our first draft before we leave for summer.
I started bits of mine last week. In a similar position to you because I'm going to do work exp in a pharmacy over summer so will have a blank bit for now :s-smilie:
Try and do all the other parts, like where you write how subjects related to what you wanna study, all the extracurricular stuff. You can do that now.
Reply 12
We are starting ours now, but have been given over the summer.
I think they probably just want to make sure you're at least thinking about your personal statement. When you hand in the first draft just make the point that you're doing more things over the summer that you're going to include - maybe whack a post-it on with bullet points about the extra bits?
Reply 14
I started and finished mine in december, and got a letter from my favourite uni complimenting me on it :smile: As long as you're clear and focused about what you want to do, why you want to do, and why they should want you, you'll be fine :smile: As for the summer, just bung your school something to get them off your back :wink:
What subject are you doing, may I ask?
x

Latest