The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There are a few people in my year that did it, although it might be a little strange at first, I think a determination to achieve the best that you can is admirable. So no, i don't think there's anything particularly shameful in reaching your potential :smile:
If it's because of your own laziness or copious amounts of procrastination and partying, then you should probably be slightly ashamed - if you know you can do better. If you feel like you picked the wrong subjects, had personal issues that hampered your ability to perform during exams, etc then nah.

Sometimes it takes people an extra year to figure out what they want to do. A lot of people feel pressured into going straight from Year 11 into Sixth Form and end up picking subjects that they don't really want to do...For example, I picked Biology for the sole reason that I got an AA in GCSE Double Science - and I detest it. Luckily, I'm going really strong in my other 2 subjects (Maths and English Literature), so I'm trying my best to pull through with it even though I literally loathe it.
No, I'll put it into persepctive for you....

You're one single human being who probably won't even last a century on this planet which is billions of years old. This planet will eventually be blown to smithereens when the sun goes boom - long long long [x infinity] after you've been forgotten about. Out solar system will be gone and not even the president of the united states or Einstein or Ghandi will be remembered....because there's no one left to remember them. So, you in comparison are even more insignifcant and the extra year in which you take your A-levels is the tiniest, tiniest blip in time and space in relation to your life, the Earths life, our solar sytems life and more [in]significantly the life of the universe, and will never be remembered at all.

Repeat the year. It makes no difference.
Reply 4
I'll be honest. My immediate reaction was 'yes'...BUT...it does depend why you would be needing to repeat the year. If it's because you just screwed up, then yes, you should absolutely be ashamed for not taking it seriously enough to begin with. If it's because you broke all your arms and legs and had to spend the past year in hospital (or something like that), then no, you shouldn't be ashamed at all.

So which is it?
Reply 5
yes and no
Reply 6
somethingbeautiful
No, I'll put it into persepctive for you....

You're one single human being who probably won't even last a century on this planet which is billions of years old. This planet will eventually be blown to smithereens when the sun goes boom - long long long [x infinity] after you've been forgotten about. Out solar system will be gone and not even the president of the united states or Einstein or Ghandi will be remembered....because there's no one left to remember them. So, you in comparison are even more insignifcant and the extra year in which you take your A-levels is the tiniest, tiniest blip in time and space in relation to your life, the Earths life, our solar sytems life and more [in]significantly the life of the universe, and will never be remembered at all.

Repeat the year. It makes no difference.

Bit depressing aren't you.
Not really, no one is perfect and we do make mistakes. Just ensure when you retake that you work your ass off and don't fail again. That imo is something to be ashamed of.
wish i had.....coulda done different subjects, and made bare commission on buying alcohol for underage peers
Depends on the reason. For failure: yes. But lots of people do so it's not rare or anything.
I would be really upset and dissapointed, as I am really looking forward to the next year (univerisity hopefully), but I think now my 'extensive' revision has helped soo much, and I am much confident
Just praying I don't have to retake :smile:
Reply 11
I failed because I went to a different school, let other people influence me, i started driving and had a car and was the first in the year to do so - you can guess how many "friends" i made/my car made. And i started off clever, and just went downhill. I did biology chemistry math and psychology and passed NONE !!! but this year i retook the same, at my school i went to in year 7-11 and am achieving A's. Yeah it was my fault, but not all of it... for psychology and biology I didnt have a teacher for 3/4 of the year, for chemistry our teachers were like above 75 years old [joke- but they were old] and i think they taught us the 1940's syllabus. And math, well I wanted to leave, but my year head forced me to do it, and told me if i left I can't carry on 6th form. So yeah. But dont be disheartend, i think my year 13 is going to be hard when all my friends leave !!!
Reply 12
In real life - many people do it. If it was because your lazy etc then yes you should be ashamed :P
But if its because you need higher grades/not sure what you want to do or something, then dont be.
In the Elitist TSR forums you'll get judged a lot more about this than you would in real life xD
Reply 13
No, make the most of another chance if you can take it...if you fail the next year due to laziness then that's the time to be ashamed, but you'd be a fool to waste time being embarrassed when you've been given an opportunity to do better
Reply 14
As has been said, you should feel embarrassed if it's just for lack of effort. However, if you just ended up doing the wrong subjects and now want to have a fresh start, you shouldn't be ashamed.

You'd be more ashamed if you drop out of school and work in a dead end job for the rest of your life.
Reply 15
No you shouldn't. If you don't and you think you should to benefit your future you almost certainly should retake. I retook Year 13 because my grades were awful and I couldn't get into a decent Uni. Now I am at a decent Uni and I've never looked back
I personally wouldn't worry. I know several people (not from my school, but from my old school/other groups of friends) who decided to drop back a year - mostly because they didn't like the sixth forms they were in. And if it's because of grades then, well, just roll with it. Surely the advantages of having better AS levels will outweigh having to stay back a year?

PS. If you're actually an IB student, then also don't worry, I know a couple of people who've been taking everything over three years instead of two. :smile:
No, and I'll tell you why. People that don't and make fun of you are often the ones that later go on to screw it up. There are a lot of people that ridiculed me (amongst a few others) and now that I'm doing better than them they suddenly turn around and say 'oh I wished I re-took the year, Im gonna fail year 13 and get rejected from uni blah blah blah...'

The point is just work your ass off, get better grades and go on to a better university. I screwed up my AS's mainly due to a lack of significant work, although a big reason for that was because I was unhappy with my subjects. Even if I passed I wouldn't have been happy with what I was doing. I took them due to the influence of my parents because I was so disillusioned at what I wanted as a career. I still am, but not to the same extent. I got some idea...
Reply 18
I would feel embarrassed yes. Even if I had a genuine reason for not doing well because of other people's reaction. I would be more ashamed if it was because I had been lazy and not cared; less ashamed if it was because of personal circumstances which affected my work substantially. Either way its better than going onto year 13 with bad grades and not getting where you want!
Reply 19
At my sixth form about half of people do.

Latest