The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Scroll to see replies

reviresco
Why not? It's representative of the university in one year, not a trend over a number of years. If a uni restructures the way its financed and/or gets investment and its service/facilities spend increases dramatically, if it get a particularly good student satisfaction score, if they hire more staff - all these could change between the yearly league table and see a sudden rise.
Its just stats, weighting and criteria - people can complain that the stats don't reflect what they feel to be true, but at the end of the day you can't really argue with the maths.

You're quite right. I'm arguing with them being a credible source of information that students should use to decide where to study. I have a feeling that in some of these league tables the data they use is out of date, but assuming it is in date then I have no problem with the statistics moving universities around every year. I have a problem with people thinking that this reflects the universities undergraduate program jumping 16 places.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
LOL Durham better than LSE?
WTF IS THAT
I must be ******* stupid cos i applied LSE not Durham
Reply 22
ddongfang
LOL Durham better than LSE?
WTF IS THAT
I must be ******* stupid cos i applied LSE not Durham

I would drop out and reapply.

And next year, drop out and reapply back again when the positions change. Gotta keep up!
Reply 23
polaroid13
It's the Times' table that counts =P

This it the table that used to be the Times one - they dropped The Times a few years back so the one that's now the Times one isn't the Times one of old. If ya see what I mean.

The overall ranking for Warwick is sus - it has its entry standards as lower than Durham's and that simply isn't true, Warwick has the fifth highest after Oxbridge, Imperial & LSE. Basically though this table puts Warwick in a great light - every single dept is top 20, most are top 10 and nearly half are top five.
megaduck
This it the table that used to be the Times one - they dropped The Times a few years back so the one that's now the Times one isn't the Times one of old. If ya see what I mean.

The overall ranking for Warwick is sus - it has its entry standards as lower than Durham's and that simply isn't true, Warwick has the fifth highest after Oxbridge, Imperial & LSE. Basically though this table puts Warwick in a great light - every single dept is top 20, most are top 10 and nearly half are top five.

Hmm yeh I just got totally confused :o:
But I was just messing, I always assumed that Times was the one to turn to.
There's not doubt about it though, Warwick is a good uni.
megaduck

Can you prove that?
Reply 26
wilson_smith
Can you prove that?

Is Durham raising it's entry requirements next year to include A*s? I know Warwick is, but unsure about Durham..
Focus08
Is Durham raising it's entry requirements next year to include A*s? I know Warwick is, but unsure about Durham..

Not really relevant, entry requirements on the independent university league table are defined as; "The average UCAS tariff score of new students under the age of 21", not 'The average entry requirements asked for'. And from my experience Durham is excessively selective, meaning they are just as likely as Warwick, if not moreso, to attract and select students with very high average UCAS tariff scores.
Reply 28
wilson_smith
Can you prove that?

Not on here I can't, no - my girlfriend, who works in a uni, has seen data from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (which the unis buy, it's not on their website) and that's what shows it. She knows I'm a big Warwick fan (that's where I did my undergrad and where half my family is currently studying!) so she told me :biggrin:
Reply 29
League tables mean nothing, but it makes me a feel a little better I didn't get an offer from Warwick for Law. I got one last year when it was 'good'. :p:
Durham 4th? Lancaster 8th?!?

The Independent has just lost all credibility.
Reply 31
Zweihander
Durham 4th? Lancaster 8th?!?

The Independent has just lost all credibility.

Even though it puts Warwick's A and F in pole position?
Reply 32
durham 4th? lancaster ahead of UCL? nottingham 18th? jesus the Independent just hit a new low.
I see Oxford is top for Economics. Oxford doesn't even offer straight economics.

Also the 'good honours' thing and the 'completion rate' tabs are a very poor measurement. The Uni's can set their own levels of 'good honours', so it's worthless measuring them. Secondly, they can also choose not to kick people out even if they are doing rubbish, meaning a better completion rate. Man Met Uni does both of these things
Reply 34
Reems
Buckingham above Exeter?
Oh gimmie a break.

Buckingham has excellent teaching standards, one of the lowest student/staff ratios in the country and top 3 or so for Student Satisfaction. They are the only private higher education institution in the UK and don't do much/any research which may explain why you haven't heard much about them in the past. They have slowly decided to release data/stats and be included in all these league tables to see how well they performed against government funded universities. Clearly they're not doing too badly.
Reply 35
looks like the Independent's been accepting bribes :colone:
Reply 36
oh well at least accounting and finance is 1st!!!
Reply 37
Born2Win
durham 4th? lancaster ahead of UCL? nottingham 18th? jesus the Independent just hit a new low.

Nottingham has moved up one place on last year :p:
Why is Warwick Law so low??!!! Maybe I shouldn't apply there for next year then...
Doughnuts!!
Why is Warwick Law so low??!!! Maybe I shouldn't apply there for next year then...

You shouldn't apply if you're stupid enough to think it means anything.

Latest