The Student Room Group

Pulsatile tinnitus.

Ok so i've been getting this pulsing noise in my ear for a couple of months now and its driving me crazy. It sounds like I can hear my heartbeat in my ear. Everyone suggests high BP but i've had it checked loads and its normal to low. I dont know what to do, I cant cope with hearing this all the time. Im pretty sure I can feel it as well but its hard to distinguish between what im feeling and whether im just thinking I feel it when I hear the sound. Basically I just wondered if anyone else has this? there are loads of threads about normal tinnitus with the hum or ringing noise but nobody mentions pulsatile. So if anyone has this and has any advice about how the deal with it then let me know.

I honestly feel like id rather be deaf in that ear than have to listen to this any more, I cant sleep, revise, sit quietly its even noticeable over music :frown:
Reply 1
I think I may have it, I'm not sure as I have hydrocephalus and will get referred to a neurosurgeon in a few months to get checked out. I have a whooshing noise coming from my left ear at night and I've had it for 1 and a half years. The best way I cope with it is to put in an earplug in at night which muffles the noise quite a bit.
Kiyoko
Ok so i've been getting this pulsing noise in my ear for a couple of months now and its driving me crazy. It sounds like I can hear my heartbeat in my ear. Everyone suggests high BP but i've had it checked loads and its normal to low. I dont know what to do, I cant cope with hearing this all the time. Im pretty sure I can feel it as well but its hard to distinguish between what im feeling and whether im just thinking I feel it when I hear the sound. Basically I just wondered if anyone else has this? there are loads of threads about normal tinnitus with the hum or ringing noise but nobody mentions pulsatile. So if anyone has this and has any advice about how the deal with it then let me know.

I honestly feel like id rather be deaf in that ear than have to listen to this any more, I cant sleep, revise, sit quietly its even noticeable over music :frown:

I get it, especially if it's quiet. I get the hum, ringing and pulsing, and it can be pretty annoying and stops me revising a lot. But I went to my GP and he told me that the best tip he's come across is to put the radio on at a low volume between stations (so you only hear static) at night, and it drowns it out apparently, though I've never tried, seeing as I need the alarm on my radio in the morning. I do put earphones in from time to time though and drown it out with loud music :smile: it doesn't get rid of it, but it makes it more bearable :smile:

Latest