The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Kingston University

I'm currently in year 12 studying Graphic Communications, Art, German and Business Studies. I'm planning on dropping German. I've been looking at Kingston's undergrad courses and would love to study Graphic Design with Photography there. However it says that the entry requirements are a Foundation Course in Art/Design or a BTEC in art/design. However would it be possible for me to enter with good A-Level results? As A-Levels are of a higher level than a BTEC? I have good GCSE Results (All A*s and As (including 3 sciences), except for one B which was in English Lit and English isn't my first language).

I heard it's quite difficult to get into Kingston. Do you guys have any information/advice/other for me?

Do any of you perhaps study at Kingston?
Reply 1
no one?
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
Hi, I've just accepted a place on the Graphics course on Kingston after doing Foundation, so I hope some of the stuff I've learned can help you.

Kingston is meant to be a really good course, and there's quite a lot of competition. You can try applying to Kingston straight after year 13, but generally art and design students complete a year-long Foundation course first before going on to do a degree. I was surprised when I found out, but it's pretty common. A lot of creative arts courses won't really look at your grades - a strong portfolio of experimental work is a lot more valuable, especially to courses like Kingston which are very conceptually focused.

The advantage of a Foundation course is that it's essentially a diagnostic year, that lets you experiment with loads of different cool mediums/media that you won't get contact with at A-level. This means that a lot of Foundation students will have the advantage when applying to competitive courses, having a more varied spread of work, and a better understanding of their subject area.

Obviously it's down to your portfolio: if you feel it's good enough to skip a Foundation year, then go for it. Ask your graphics/art teachers for advice (my careers tutor was a bit crap when I went to him). It's not unheard of for students to go straight on to a degree. However, I'd really advise doing a Foundation course. It was really beneficial to my work and outlook on design, and was probably one of the best years of my life too.

Hope that helps.
Reply 3
JNC - me too :smile:

OP - I was exactly like you, didn't like the idea of a foundation year at all, but I soon realised what all the top unis expect for art and design courses. To be honest, with design subjects it really dosen't matter that much what your grades are, it's all portfolio bassed... I had a stupid amount of UCAS point because I took 4 1/2 A levels but that made no difference..your portfolio is where its at!

It could be worth you applying and seeing how you get on, you could always take the foundation if you dont get the offer from kingston or anywhere else your interested in, though to be honest, I think you'll be struggling to be looked at seriously without foundation, sorry :frown:

Kingston mentioned that they looked at nearly 1500 online portfolios (which means they had more applicants than that...) then asked some of those to interview... to fill the 90 spaces on the course... thats a pretty big cut, it's a very competitive course...

If you check out the Graphic Design '10 thread theres loads of discussion from people who have applied to different Graphics courses this year, which might be of help to you, nearly everyone has completed foundation.

Good luck, hope it all works out :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending