The Student Room Group
Are there really any possible objections to that...?
I can't see that being a question....
Well, at least not a 30 marker. And I'd be very surprised if they put it in as a 15 too. What exam board are you?
Reply 3
I've been given it as a question used last year in january exam so I guess it could be. Hopefully because it was used last year they wont use it again.

Aqa exam board
Ohhhh jesus I just checked, right you are. Yeah they shouldn't use it again then in that case.... (we hope)....

I have a hunch the 15 marker will be something to do with ex / potential / diminished / counting persons, i.e can humans be non-persons because that hasn't come up yet.....
Reply 5
Whaaaaaat...? The concept of a person?
phen
Whaaaaaat...? The concept of a person?

"Persons" is an A.S level AQA Philosophy module.
I take it you didn't do Philosophy? :P
Reply 7
jennyrenhaigh
"Persons" is an A.S level AQA Philosophy module.
I take it you didn't do Philosophy? :P

O, ok. I don't take A levels (note the Dutch flag). :P

My school doesn't offer philosophy within this educational system anyway.
I had already duly noted the Dutch flag, just didn't realise philosophy wasn't offered over there. :smile:
Reply 9
jennyrenhaigh
I had already duly noted the Dutch flag, just didn't realise philosophy wasn't offered over there. :smile:

O but it generally is, but I go to school in a relatively rural area with smaller schools. It's for that reason that it's not viable for my school to offer philosophy.
I thought you didn't notice it because you were talking about A levels, which isn't the standard in the Netherlands (most people won't have heard of it around here).
If its the same things as what does logically primitive mean, then it's Strawson's argument- His logically primitive argument stated that a person must have an innate idea of what a person is if they are to understand the World and people in the World. For example, we are only able to recognise our own mothers and ascbibe emotions to people's actions because we already hold the concept of a person in our minds. Therefore if a person was crying, we would be able to recognise this as sadness because Strawson argues we have the idea of a person in our minds which allows us to do so.
Hope this helps?
:smile: x
I'm also on the AQA exam board, and I really hope this isn't a 15 marker, my unit 1 exam is tomorrow
Reply 11
I have the exam tomorrow too :s-smilie:

Because the question came up in 2009 i hope it wont come up again but that is really helpful if it does.

Only realising today that I've ignored most of the stuff on the past papers hoping they wont come up. Just need to hope they don't!
Yeah it probably won't, lets hope its on diminished persons or something, are you doing reason and experience as well tomorrow?
I think the questions they can ask you for unit 1 and 2 are really limited- it can only really be on machines, animals and personal identity for persons and innate/empiricist essays for reason and experience right?
then as long as you know the main arguments you're all set :biggrin:
Reply 13
Yeah reason and experience tomorrow.
Yeah any of the words on the syllabus can be made into a question so its not a huge amount, i just hope they stick to 'explain and illustrate' and 'asses' and dont give a 'discuss the implications of this statement' type questions.
After spending a year assessing that would really suck.

Im trying to turn every key word on the spec into a possible question with objections and replies but the chances are it will be the one I dont do this for that comes up.

diminished or potential persons would be great!
Yeahh definatley they would be great questions!!
Good luck for tomorrow, let me know how you find it! :smile:
and lets hope for some amazing questions