The Student Room Group

How can I better myself?

Hi Guys,

How do you guys constantly better yourself and improve your learning of your course. Not only the theory, but also your answers, for exams etc.

I often do well, averaging between 60-70% but I would like to make sure I always achieve the best.

Example, I have just sat an exam and I know that I will do okay, I define, get points across, but when I speak to people after the exam, I am always left thinking "Oh yeah, why didn't I think of that" or often I misunderstand the question and will not write exactly what it wants.

Any advice would be great.
Isn't that the worst thing about exams? You can know everything but still fail because the question was unclear or there was one particular thing you simply forgot to write/do. Quite unfair
try and understand exactly what the question is asking, underline key words in the question if it helps.
before moving on to the next question just quickly scan your answer for any mistakes/contradictions or if you can add anything else.
Reply 3
Any other suggestions guys?
Reply 4
The number one thing i believe anyone can do to improve their intelligence (and this goes especially to people who sit around playing brain training games like they're putting their IQ on steroids) is to read - good journalism, literature, popular science, philosophy, theory, what ever it is as long as it forces you to engage and to think.

When i was a wee boy at a wee school in the north of scotland that didn't have a first clue how to deal with my dyslexia, i was on the 'dumb table' (yes they had one, didnt call it that though) and was failing everything pretty badly. I think it was James and the Giant Peach that first got me interested in reading and i went from being bottom of the class to somewhere near the top (in maths and sciences as well) during the rest of my school years. I atribute this pretty much entirely to reading a lot and often.
Reply 5
reviresco

Any suggestions on books mate?
MrBez
Any suggestions on books mate?

Here's a good start.
Reply 7
This one would be more fun though:

http://205.188.238.181/time/2005/100books/the_complete_list.html

It doesn't really matter what it is as long as it is of a good quality. I study english so i read a lot of novels/poetry/play texts/theoretical, philosophical and political essays anyway - but i have time because its what i do. Maybe try stuff like New Scientist, the pretentiously titled but well put together Intelligent Life, the Guardian, w.i.r.e.d, Times literary supplement? I dont know this is just what i read. It really the way anything forces you to engage that will help, and a breadth of subjects will challenge you in different ways.
Reply 8
Dont just read stuff, you have to physically understand stuff inorder for it to sink it into the brain. Be more pratical if you can :smile:
Reply 9
Jacker956
Dont just read stuff, you have to physically understand stuff inorder for it to sink it into the brain. Be more pratical if you can :smile:

Any suggestions mate?
Reply 10
i guess to past papers, CD's, best one is talk to a friend what you have leanred, revision cards are another good source of good revision

Latest

Trending

Trending