The Student Room Group

help me pick my last minute 'sod it, i want to go to uni' degree

right

i applied and was accepted to decent city universities (leeds, sussex, glasgow, cardiff, manchester) but pulled out a few months ago. mostly health related.

health problems now not an issue, and applying to the local last minute. that'll be liverpool. preferably not john moores, the building isn't very nice and i don't like crossing the road opposite it. preferably not hope, everybody says it's fall of people who gnaw the furniture.

i've got good a-levels (maths, further maths, english language, english literature, philosophy and then an as in religious studies) and my college are backing me for university.

i'm not particularly arsed about my future. there's actually a fair chance i'll drop out and wind up doing something else somewhere else but at this point, who knows? as it stands this is all just for funsies. and if it's just for funsies, i'd prefer a female dominated subject with a lot of reading as i'm most at home around girls and books.

what on earth should i do?

i like english but they're funny about making you do language modules and i bloody loathe language.

i quite like philosophy, but i don't want to do it on its own. i kinda like the idea of being cross department.

i find psychology mega interesting but only in the theoretical sense rather than the statistics, research methods and practice sense. and apparently they kind of stopped doing the theoretical bit as the main study a century ago.

i don't know any languages to any extent. might be interested. i don't know.

politics is sort of interesting but i really cannot be doing with politics students. i'm sure you're all lovely but the ones i bump into always seem to be intolerable as human beings.

i'm looking at the combined honours (arts) course - http://www.liv.ac.uk/combart/subjects/index.htm - so anything off that list? european film studies looks a hoot.

it's pretty much a public vote. i'll be applying in a few days and the responses here have a very valid place in my decision making process. argue for your subjects as you will.
Reply 1
Well your doing maths + further, so why not look into something econ, finance related? It has a pretty solid future in terms of career opportunities!
Reply 2
Media studies.
Quantity Surveying
Reply 4
If you like psychology without the statistics and you want to do joint honours, what about an English/Sociology joint honours course? (if that's even possible!)
Maybe do something related to Classics/Ancient History? They're such broad topics that they pretty much contain every element that you claim to like:
-literature: you get to read and analyse classical literature, and of course there'd be no language modules
-philosophy: Classics departments always offer a vast range of modules on ancient philosophy, e.g. Plato and Aristotle etc.
-languages: there's the chance to learn to Latin/Greek, but it's usually not compulsory, and no previous knowledge of it is required
-politics: one of the key themes of a Classics/Ancient History degree is always the politics of the Roman/Greek world

Just something to think about. :smile:
no business studies. no finance. not arsed about my future. as i said, just going for funsies. don't know about you pair but i've worked in that world and it's ******* miserable. i lasted about six months running around a prominent actuarial firm and decided it wasn't for me.

actually i should have said i know no modern languages, i've got an emact or two in classical greek. didn't take classics because i didn't fancy the architecture stuff.
Reply 8
You're seriously going to do a £3,290 a year degree "for funsies"? :lolwut:
Reply 9
Astrophsyics and Cosmology. I bet that's piss easy.

Being serious, doing a degree for nothing more than the sake of it isn't a good idea (unless you're meag-wealthy). Just read more around those subjects, look at uni department websites, and see what takes your eye.
[scroll]:lolwut:[/scroll]

You shouldn't go to uni, unless you want to work there as a cleaner. Why the hell are you going to waste tax payers money going to uni (in the form of grants and a loan you may not pay back if you get doss jobs under £15,000) when you have no idea why you actually want to go and are already flirting with the idea of quitting?????

[scroll]:lolwut:[/scroll]
Reply 11
English Lit with/and Sociology sounds perfect. Probably female dominated and you might be able to escape doing language modules by doing sociology modules. Do Liverpool offer that?
xmarilynx
You're seriously going to do a £3,290 a year degree "for funsies"? :lolwut:

This.

i'm not particularly arsed about my future. there's actually a fair chance i'll drop out and wind up doing something else somewhere else but at this point, who knows? as it stands this is all just for funsies.

The nonchalant tone of your post makes me laugh, but at the same time..dude, are you sure you wouldn't just prefer taking a gap year and/or going travelling? University is very expensive if all you want to do is be the alcoholic-in-residence or follow tail around. Tuition loans don't come free after all.
Reply 13
Stop feeding the blindingly obvious troll ;d
Javindo
Stop feeding the blindingly obvious troll ;d

Haha but its funsies!
Reply 15
Well its alot of debt , but I kinda figure you could get run over tommow by a truck, so who cares , lol

if your enjoy it , its worth it XD
Surf Studies "D

well maybe Economics or any language or Media and Film studies.

Latest

Trending

Trending