The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
vv86
So is this uni really THAT bad? Are people going to write me off as a complete idiot once I tell them I'm attending there?
Lol, thoughts appreciated....

it is not a bad uni at all, especially for arts based courses, tis quite well respected. pretty good facilities and buildings too

the all saints library is absolutely fantastic, beats john rylands imho! far easier to use, more modern, brighter etc

ps i'm a student of both unis!
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
drawmeamonkey
it is not a bad uni at all, especially for arts based courses, tis quite well respected. pretty good facilities and buildings too

the all saints library is absolutely fantastic, beats john rylands imho! far easier to use, more modern, brighter etc

ps i'm a student of both unis!

Ta veryy much! Hmm so how u manage that? Shame I won't be doing an arts based course but hey! Thanks anyway i guess i shouldn't pay so much attention to those ignorant people saying this type of uni is a worthless joke and that by going there i'll just be cementing their views of me having no prospects.

I hope everyone appreciates that I've tried my utmost best to spell 'propa' and use necessary punctuation here in a vain attempt to prove that I do possess a small amount of brain matter...lol. Anymore thoughts will be helpful...
Reply 3
I loved MMU the first time and now I am going back.

The staff are fantastic (I can only comment on Biological Sciences, Chemistry and Materials, Combined Honours and learning support).

MMU is sixth in the country for one of the subjects I studied in my degree.

In many ways its reputation as "Mickey Mouse University" is unfounded and only due to it being an ex-poly.

Ignore those who laugh at you for going there I chose to and I will NEVER regret that choice
Reply 4
Jassmine
I loved MMU the first time and now I am going back.

The staff are fantastic (I can only comment on Biological Sciences, Chemistry and Materials, Combined Honours and learning support).

MMU is sixth in the country for one of the subjects I studied in my degree.

In many ways its reputation as "Mickey Mouse University" is unfounded and only due to it being an ex-poly.

Ignore those who laugh at you for going there I chose to and I will NEVER regret that choice

Thanks for replying..I need to remember the good thigs i've heard and stop dwelling on the bad..
the people who badmouth ex polys are usually snobs and are least qualified to say anything about them! many ex polys have good employment rates and healthy links with industry.

MMU is definitely one of the best of the ex polys. plus i always think a degree is what you make of it. people are still going to be impressed with a first from MMU, just as a 3rd from any traditional uni would be pretty much worthless.

i study architecture - joint school between mmu and uom - best of both worlds!
Reply 6
Ppl really p me off when they go one about how bad ex polys r. As long as ur happy where u r then thats all that matters, at the end of the day a degree is a degree where eva u achieve it!
I'm gonna b attending mmu in sept doing 3D Design and i thought it looked fab.
If it is that bad y do so many ppl go!!
Reply 7
If it is that bad y do so many ppl go!!

apparently to 'f**k about n not have to enter the working world'.

Well thanks anyway you've put my mind at rest, i know that it is what you make it, so i plan to do my best.

I heard a tale of a UCL student that couldn't write out a cheque...hmm I suppose common sense isn't important at these prestigious gaffs! lol in the minority though i'm sure!
Reply 8
Double vision - MMU student night at the union on fridays is the bestttttttttttt :> Although upstairs is full of asians and people say asian invasion! but its jus soooo good! Although I might b a bit biased as I am indian lol
MMU is ranked at 100 from all the Uni's in the UK, with Salford uni being ranked way higher. I cant beleve MMU has dropped so low since last year. :frown:
Nothin wrong with MMU its defintely the best ex poly in the country and alot of the courses have alot of respect in the big wide world..i chose salford though as they dont do my course ! ( so in that repect its rubbish :wink: )
what do u mean by ex poly???
it used to be a polytechnic college, but got university status in 1992

Latest

Trending

Trending