The Student Room Group

help Edexcel History Russia in revolution&experiences of warfare in Britain 1854-1929

hello

Has anyone here already done this syllabus. If you have and have been successful at it in the exam. can you share this with me. Especially unit 2 source paper question B- ive been looking at the mark scheme and i still dont understand whats being told. I dont want to drop histoory by its stressing me out-ive been revising for the russia in revolution paper and cant seem to get my head around the techniques for the other one, ive done a few mocks questions and it seems that question B could make or break my mark.

I wanna study law-and i dont know anyone who does law - who hasnt done history. aaaaaahhhhhhhh

is anyone doing A2 or As history--please please reply.
Reply 1
ij;u
Reply 2
Hey :smile: I did the Russian Revolution, but India for the source questions, and I'm doing A2 now.

Of the top of my head, the most important thing on the source question is to integrate the sources fully into the answer and to justify/explain them with evidence.

e.g. "Source X shows how Factor Y was significant to ___
[Quote from source]
This could explain/is justified by the fact that ..."

At least, that's how I've been doing essays at A2 - if you're planning on carrying on with history, don't forget that half of the A2 exam and all of the coursework will be based on sources so it's worth getting used to the technique now.

Oh, and history is a good subject for Law. :biggrin:
karema66
Question B for the Warfare unit?
40marks

You need to use 50% knowledge and 50% source answer.
However, the source drives the answer.

In this sense, you read the source, answer using the source and add your own knowledge to contextualise or challenege the statement.

For example - Although "Florence Nightingale made a significant impact on the number of Soldiers deaths in the Hospital"[Quieeny], she only arrived in the Crimea in November 1854....

It is showing variance with the source, and you're using you're own knowledge

Good luck.
Reply 4
Inner Poise
Hey :smile: I did the Russian Revolution, but India for the source questions, and I'm doing A2 now.

Of the top of my head, the most important thing on the source question is to integrate the sources fully into the answer and to justify/explain them with evidence.

e.g. "Source X shows how Factor Y was significant to ___
[Quote from source]
This could explain/is justified by the fact that ..."

At least, that's how I've been doing essays at A2 - if you're planning on carrying on with history, don't forget that half of the A2 exam and all of the coursework will be based on sources so it's worth getting used to the technique now.

Oh, and history is a good subject for Law. :biggrin:

Thanks

i just want to ask you something else in regards to the whole idea of interpreting the sources

what does it mean?
Reply 5
Stricof
Question B for the Warfare unit?
40marks

You need to use 50% knowledge and 50% source answer.
However, the source drives the answer.

In this sense, you read the source, answer using the source and add your own knowledge to contextualise or challenege the statement.

For example - Although "Florence Nightingale made a significant impact on the number of Soldiers deaths in the Hospital"[Quieeny], she only arrived in the Crimea in November 1854....

It is showing variance with the source, and you're using you're own knowledge

Good luck.

It's not 50/50 for own knowledge and source analysis. Its out of 24 for own knowledge and 16 for source analysis, so own knowledge really does count for alot.
Reply 6
karema66

Thanks

i just want to ask you something else in regards to the whole idea of interpreting the sources

what does it mean?

Well, it's a bit hard for me to explain without knowing what the course is like :o: Interpreting the sources means using provenance (i.e. who wrote the source, why, when) to explain the source's argument.

Like for India, which I did instead of the Warfare option, a source could say that Gandhi's methods for non-cooperation were ineffectual. So that would be one type of interpretation of an issue (non-cooperation). If, however, this was written by the right-wing British government, which did not empathise with Gandhi, I would say that this would include a biased view point because of who wrote it.

The date of the source can be useful to use too, to see whether or not it makes the source unreliable.
sc0307
It's not 50/50 for own knowledge and source analysis. Its out of 24 for own knowledge and 16 for source analysis, so own knowledge really does count for alot.
Writing it should be 50/50 though. Last year when it was being dicussed by Edexcel examiners (in my school)
- Marks awarded on 60% own knowledge and 40% sources

However you should write it 50% of both.
Reply 8
Stricof
Writing it should be 50/50 though. Last year when it was being dicussed by Edexcel examiners (in my school)
- Marks awarded on 60% own knowledge and 40% sources

However you should write it 50% of both.

I agree that you should balance it out in the actual essay but all im saying is they actually mark the essay twice, once each for knowledge and source work. It's fact that they actually award own knowledge out of 24 marks and source analysis out of 16 marks. So you should overall make sure you put quite a bit of accurate relavent evidence with your source analysis
sc0307
It's fact that they actually award own knowledge out of 24 marks and source analysis out of 16 marks.
You write this as if i am disputing you. I am not.
Reply 10
cheers everyone

Latest

Trending

Trending