The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Unknown-User
I hope Monoclonal antibodies don't come up...I hate that ****

Monoclonal antibodies are antibodies produced from B cells cloned from a single B cell source. :cool:
CHEM1STRY
Monoclonal antibodies are antibodies produced from B cells cloned from a single B cell source. :cool:

And so Polyclonal Antibodies are antibodies produced from different B Cells? And all the Polyclonal antibodies are different right?

Does anyone know if the Production of Monoclonal antibodies has come up in the New Spec papers yet? Could be one of the 5 markers at the end of the paper if it hasn't come up...
here is my own question set:
(1) Tricholoma matsutake is a fungus that produces amylase as a secretion. Students decided to test different pieces of fungi at different pH to see how it would affect the action of the amylase. They were placed in a starch medium dyed with iodine.
(a) (i) Suggest how the amylase exits the fungal cells.
(ii) Another polysaccharide is chitin. This is in the cell walls of fungi. Explain why amylase hydrolyses the starch but not the chitin.
(b) The students note that after 60 minutes, there is a clear area at pH 6 and 8 whilst at pH values less than 6 or greater than 8 remained dark blue. The clear area was greatest at pH 8.
(i) Explain why at pH values above 8 there are no clear areas.
(ii) The teacher suggests a control experiment should be carried out. Suggest a suitable control experiment.
(iii) One student concludes that the optimum pH for the enzyme amylase is 8. Explain whether or not this is justified.
(c) State THREE factors that should have been constant during this investigation.
Reply 43
Unknown-User

Does anyone know if the Production of Monoclonal antibodies has come up in the New Spec papers yet?

Yes, there was a question in Jan 2010 paper. But it was only worth 1 mark.
SuperManya
Yes, there was a question in Jan 2010 paper. But it was only worth 1 mark.

Hmm....It could come up in the Section B then...

I better get revising then...:p:
CHEM1STRY
here is my own question set:
(1) Tricholoma matsutake is a fungus that produces amylase as a secretion. Students decided to test different pieces of fungi at different pH to see how it would affect the action of the amylase. They were placed in a starch medium died with iodine.
(a) (i) Suggest how the amylase exits the fungal cells.
(ii) Another polysaccharide is chitin. This is in the cell walls of fungi. Explain why amylase hydrolyses the starch but not the chitin.
(b) The students note that after 60 minutes, there is a clear area at pH 6 and 8 whilst at pH values less than 6 or greater than 8 remained dark blue. The clear area was greatest at pH 8.
(i) Explain why at pH values above 8 there are no clear areas.
(ii) The teacher suggests a control experiment should be carried out. Suggest a suitable control experiment.
(iii) One student concludes that the optimum pH for the enzyme amylase is 8. Explain whether or not this is justified.
(c) State THREE factors that should have been constant during this investigation.

Do you have the answers for these questions?
Reply 46
I'm too busy preparing for C1 tomorrow. I sooo want to revise Biology instead! :p:
EmergingButterfly
Do you have the answers for these questions?

Yup :smile: Tell me if you need them!
CHEM1STRY
Yup :smile: Tell me if you need them!

Could I have them please :smile:
a) i) Exocytosis; [1]
ii) chitin different shape to amylase; not complementary/does not bind to ACTIVE SITE; no enzyme substrate complex forms; [3]
b) i) Enzyme denatured; pH disrupts/destroys bonds/Hydrogen/ionic holding tertiary structure together; active site changes shape/no longer complementary to substrate; QoL [3]
ii) Boiled fungus/not releasing amylase NB NOT no fungus; at each pH value with all other conditions same; [2]
iii) not; (1) must have this or CE=0 more values need to be taken around pH 8; intervals too widely spaced; max 1 [3]
c) Temperature; Amount of fungus; Conc. of amylase in medium; part/type of fungus that was cut; max 3 credit any other suitable suggestion [3]
CHEM1STRY
a) i) Exocytosis; [1]
ii) chitin different shape to amylase; not complementary/does not bind to ACTIVE SITE; no enzyme substrate complex forms; [3]
b) i) Enzyme denatured; pH disrupts/destroys bonds/Hydrogen/ionic holding tertiary structure together; active site changes shape/no longer complementary to substrate; QoL [3]
ii) Boiled fungus/not releasing amylase NB NOT no fungus; at each pH value with all other conditions same; [2]
iii) not; (1) must have this or CE=0 more values need to be taken around pH 8; intervals too widely spaced; max 1 [3]
c) Temperature; Amount of fungus; Conc. of amylase in medium; part/type of fungus that was cut; max 3 credit any other suitable suggestion [3]

Thank you!
Reply 51
Exocytosis, Polyclonal, I have never heard this words before and I'm taking this exam.. are you sure they are important?
Reply 52
No they're not. Don't worry about it. They're not really mentioned even in the book and since the exam is basically application of science stuff like definitions mean nothing. Polyclonal won't come up but Monoclonal probably will. And exocytosis referring to an enzyme being taken outside a cell by a lysosome.
Reply 53
can't believe it!!!....the exam is tomorrow!!!!!:woo:
Reply 54
I know! I'm retaking it with the hope of boosting my grade slightly. It isn't a major retake for me, but it's the one I'm most likely to gain a few extra marks in.

Best of luck!
Reply 55
I'm taking this, quite looking forward to it, it is my strongest subject
Reply 56
does any1 no where i can find the jan 2010 paper?
Reply 57
yab26
does any1 no where i can find the jan 2010 paper?

Yeah look at the previous page of the thread
Liam 09
Exocytosis, Polyclonal, I have never heard this words before and I'm taking this exam.. are you sure they are important?

If it's not in the spec it won't be in the exam. Don't worry
Reply 58
there is loads of stuff that hasnt come up on previous papers and may come up 2moro, does anyone have a clue as to what may come up and i hate immunity and disease and that seems most likely atm.....
thanks
Can someone please explain how starch is digested through the body and also the absorption of monosaccharides...Thanks

Latest