The Student Room Group

Applying to foreign universities.

Hopefully I will get my grades in the summer and this wont be relevant, but just incase.......

When applying for Ucas this year, I pondered briefly applying for a University in another country (specifically Bologna or New York). I was a bit lazy and so didnt follow this through. However as I sit here, having sacrificed all social life for the past month and regretting this as I appear to have learnt nothing during this time, i feel that should I fail my A levels, this is something I would very much like to do.

However, I am told that you cannot apply through Ucas, so my question is, how would I apply to a University in A) Europe, B) America and C) Asia?
Reply 1
I don't think they would take you if you fail your A-Levels... (except possibly US with SATS)
Reply 2
llys
I don't think they would take you if you fail your A-Levels... (except possibly US with SATS)

=/ obviously I would retake, but it provides a chance to start again
Reply 3
For applying to uni in Europe, presuming you're European, you apply directly to the university (at least, that's how it's worked for the universities I've looked at in France, Belgium and Switzerland). If the course isn't taught in English (and most of them aren't at undergraduate level) you'll need to provide evidence of your ability in the language in some form of test, and you'll need to get personal documents and exam certificates officially translated. This is all fairly time consuming, and deadlines are approaching fast - some of the French unis I'm applying to have set the deadline for the end of May - so if you want to go to uni in Europe this year you'll need to get your skates on.

I don't know anything about American unis apart from the fact that they're hideously expensive, so unless your parents are loaded they probably won't be an option (although apparently they do offer some generous scholarships, but I'm guessing they'll be going on household income and academic merit, so if you've failed your A Levels you'd be unlikely to qualify). For America and Asia you'll need to get a visa sorted (I think :erm:) which can take a while, so if that's what you want to do you'll need to hurry up with that too if you want to go this year.

Edit: If the only reason you want to study abroad is because you think you've failed your A Levels I'd say just take a gap year, re-take and apply to uni in the UK. Good foreign universities are usually just as competitive as good British universities, after all.
Reply 4
xmarilynx
For applying to uni in Europe, presuming you're European, you apply directly to the university (at least, that's how it's worked for the universities I've looked at in France, Belgium and Switzerland). If the course isn't taught in English (and most of them aren't at undergraduate level) you'll need to provide evidence of your ability in the language in some form of test, and you'll need to get personal documents and exam certificates officially translated. This is all fairly time consuming, and deadlines are approaching fast - some of the French unis I'm applying to have set the deadline for the end of May - so if you want to go to uni in Europe this year you'll need to get your skates on.

I don't know anything about American unis apart from the fact that they're hideously expensive, so unless your parents are loaded they probably won't be an option (although apparently they do offer some generous scholarships, but I'm guessing they'll be going on household income and academic merit, so if you've failed your A Levels you'd be unlikely to qualify). For America and Asia you'll need to get a visa sorted (I think :erm:) which can take a while, so if that's what you want to do you'll need to hurry up with that too if you want to go this year.

Edit: If the only reason you want to study abroad is because you think you've failed your A Levels I'd say just take a gap year, re-take and apply to uni in the UK. Good foreign universities are usually just as competitive as good British universities, after all.

You make some good points, thank you :smile:, I know basic Italian and German, as in very basic so I dont think Europe is the best option as I am unlikely to become fluent in either during the next year. As for the American Uni, I forgot about the hideously expensive costs. Maybe Ill just stick to the English Unis and spend my second and third years studying at a partner uni in europe.
Reply 5
adam_zed
You make some good points, thank you :smile:, I know basic Italian and German, as in very basic so I dont think Europe is the best option as I am unlikely to become fluent in either during the next year. As for the American Uni, I forgot about the hideously expensive costs. Maybe Ill just stick to the English Unis and spend my second and third years studying at a partner uni in europe.

Living there and studying at degree level would be pretty challenging if you weren't competent in the language. I'd say spending a year abroad as part of an erasmus programme or similar would be a better idea because, from what I've seen so far, European universities treat students of universities they've got agreements with a lot better than individual European students (the Erasmus students get priority with student housing, for example). I'm sure you'll do fine in your A Levels anyway: good luck and thanks for the rep :smile:
Reply 6
aprilterri
I think that you apply with fullbright for the USA.

Why? I am not exactly well off?
Reply 7
adam_zed

Why don't you spend a gap year in Italy? If you find a job there you will pick up the language very quickly (since you already know the basics and it is not a very difficult language relatively speaking). Then you could apply for unis there next year.
Reply 8
I cannot answer about Europe but I can help with the other two.
Asian universities, such as the ones in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, I believe you apply through their website. I am sure for the Hong Kong ones. They have an application online on their website.

American Universities. Through online applications but a lot of universities applications are through a website called the common app. You fill out essential one application through the common app and then fill out the specific university specific supplements. Some US universities have their own application, you can find them on their website. NYU uses the common app. You will need SAT scores, letters of recommendation, transcripts of all high school years and essays to apply for US universities. If you need any more help, just ask me.
Reply 9
Sadly, A level grades are not like dollars, you can't use them elsewhere.
Reply 10
cjxnn
Sadly, A level grades are not like dollars, you can't use them elsewhere.

Huh ?
Reply 11
You could definitely apply to the USA even if you didn't do so well in high school. You could make it up by writing the SAT's, which I think you'll do well in cos the American form of education is waaay simpler than the British. I've experienced both systems, and that's how I jumped to this conclusion.

Even if you don't do excelling in the SATs, universities with a high acceptance rate will still take you.

If you have a year left before college, I advise that you start looking for a school to apply to. Once you've found this school (I think you should apply to more than 1)., register and write the SATs. I show how to do this on my blog [wannabehomesick.blogspot.com]

While you're in the application process, you could start saving money by getting a job and working your butt off.

Yes, school in America is expensive. But some schools esp those with instate tuition cost as little as $5000/yr, that's about 3500 pounds right? How expensive is that for university in the UK?
Reply 12
i am new here and just want to ask. i am a chinese student who currently pursuing studies in singapore, and i just got back my GCE O level results. is there anyway that i can apply for a foreign uni besides the uni in singapore??:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending