The Student Room Group

AS PHIL2 Knowledge of the external world; possible to learn in three days?

Oh hi, so it's the AS Philosophy Unit 2 exam on Tuesday and I was wondering if it's possible to learn the Knowledge of the external world topic by then? You see I have a bit of general knowledge of it, I know a few theories of perception and their strengths/weaknesses but not much else as far as sense data, physical objects, primary/secondary qualities etc. are concerned. Basically, looking at the past questions I don't I'd be able to answer any of them decently.

Also, does anyone know of any good websites/resources?

If all else fails, there's always a January resit!

Thanks
:smile:
www.youtube.com/alevelphilosophy

Good videos on perception and God and the world! You can check other videos out on youtube as well, there is some good material on there!
Reply 2
diskohuelga
www.youtube.com/alevelphilosophy

Good videos on perception and God and the world! You can check other videos out on youtube as well, there is some good material on there!

Oh great, thanks! Never thought of checking youtube.
Reply 3
Oddly enough I'm attempting the same feat ... I've got a book off Amazon en route for tomorrow via express delivery and the help of someone who has actually set lessons for the subject, and therefore has a bank of PPTs they can access. I'm fairly sure it's doable, I already understand the central ideas (direct/representative realism, idealism) of the first bit, just need to flesh it out. Haven't quite settled on what my 'optional' topic will be yet, though I'll pick one in the morning. Too tired at the moment from the first exam this morning...!

Edit: didn't cop on you just meant KotEW - well, I'd hope it's possible, since I'm attempting to cover two topics in the same timespan as described above!
If anyone has any philosophy related questions then I might be able to help. I went through the AQA Philosophy A level a couple of years ago and I'm doing philosophy at Uni now so I'd be happy to help.

I mention this only because I'm also revising Idealism and Perception stuff right now. Let me know.
Reply 5
EscapeTheFate
If anyone has any philosophy related questions then I might be able to help. I went through the AQA Philosophy A level a couple of years ago and I'm doing philosophy at Uni now so I'd be happy to help.

I mention this only because I'm also revising Idealism and Perception stuff right now. Let me know.

Hi there, what would you say are some general strengths of idealism?

Thanks
Those youtube videos are so awful!
Can anybody tell me the question that come up fro God and the World and Free will and Determinism in the january 2010 exam?
sitmedownshutmeup
Can anybody tell me the question that come up fro God and the World and Free will and Determinism in the january 2010 exam?

It's a bit off-putting when the people start giggling.

GatW

(a) 'Religious believers and non-believers experience "the world" differently.' Explain and illustrate this claim with reference to the idea of 'seeing as'.

(b) 'Life is terrible, thank God.' Explore the relationship between suffering and the existence of God.

Free will

(a) 'One and the same action can be both free and determined.' Explain and illustrate two criticisms of this view.

(b) 'Because we have free will, we are morally responsible.' Discuss
I'm in a similar situation to you OP, but like...I have one day. God and the World is fine, I'm not worried; but Knowledge...it's just...lol, really. And my textbook isn't great.
Reply 9
Mr.Seven
Hi there, what would you say are some general strengths of idealism?

Thanks

Strengths - Doesn't rely on a physical material world, thus solving the problem created through the veil of perception. - Explains differences in variation and perception and explains how the perceiver plays a part in what is perceived

If there's any more, quote me i'd love to know :P
Philosophical knowledge is the easy part. The skill comes in the essay writing.
Lyam
Strengths - Doesn't rely on a physical material world, thus solving the problem created through the veil of perception. - Explains differences in variation and perception and explains how the perceiver plays a part in what is perceived

If there's any more, quote me i'd love to know :P

Also maybe:

- It's a simple theory - there is only one kind of stuff (ideas) so it avoids the need to posit material substance at all.

- Berkeley thought it was supported by common sense: The way we see the world is the way the world is, Berkeley does believe that objects exist independently of our mind (just not independently of all minds)
sitmedownshutmeup

I know, we did it as just an exercise, to reinforce what we knew already and stuff. But I'd say they're not that bad! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending