The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Tom_Andrews
Hey, My first post :smile:

I think i did this exam yesterday, what did everyone put for the last question? I think it was about sticky end cells, or something like that?

If someone could also remind me what the question was, i can't remember and i know that i really struggled with it.

Thanks,

Tom Andrews

Hi

I can't quite remember but I think it was something about explaining the manufacture of insulin using microorganisms + using the words 'sticky ends' and 'ligase' in your answer.

Hope it helped:smile:
Reply 2
I found that question quite hard! how did you find the rest of the paper?:smile:
You people!!! :smile: I wish I did this exammmm
Did it last year and got biology as level on tuesday..woaaah loads to learn!! Enjoy GCSES people.
Don't stress too much!!
Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Tom_Andrews
Hey, My first post :smile:

I think i did this exam yesterday, what did everyone put for the last question? I think it was about sticky end cells, or something like that?

If someone could also remind me what the question was, i can't remember and i know that i really struggled with it.

Thanks,

Tom Andrews

i found it quite hard aswell i dont know what sticky endz are we didnt learn any ting about it just hope how did you guyz find the rest of the paper???
Reply 5
Yeah we hadn't learn't anything about them either, i left that question blank, i had no idea.

The rest of the paper was reasonably easy i thought, there were a few difficult questions especially the last couple. Other than those, i think it was quite easy.
Reply 6
I can't find anything about sticky ends in the text book or in the CGP guides? Does any1 know what it is? Chemistry is going to be really hard! I am soooo nervous!
Lol When it says sticky ends i don't think it literally meant sticky ends, when it says sticky ends i think it may have meant the details, such as using the restriction enzyme to cut out the insuline genen and insert it into the plasmid using the ligase enzyme, then inserting it into the bacterium, shoving it into a culture and letting it grow, i think thats all it meant
Reply 8
I think that sticky ends are the way that the restriction enzyme cuts the DNA, so that it has the same 'pattern' on the ends so they're easier to fit together? I remember my teacher saying something about them having an overhang at the end with the DNA base pairs that match up (A-T, C-G), so that they can join together. I think this is what they are, but I could be completely wrong so don't take my word for it! :smile:
Lol i think you're right, but edexcel really are stupid, I mean theres not a single thing about sticky ends in their book, how can they expect us to know?!

Latest