The Student Room Group

Student Loan delay

Hmmmpphh :angry: just spoken to the SLC over the phone and have been informed that my student loan is not due to go into my account until the 28th September. The problem is my payment schedule says that payment is due on the 24th August, and resultingly I have no money. I leave for uni on Thursday and will have to get loads of stuff when I get there-books, travelpass etc, which leaves me with nothing to live on for the first five weeks. Getting a job is not an option because I won't have a "carte de sejour" (work permit).

I'm really pissed off that the SLC has done this to me. Had I known I would have saved some money. What can I do?
Reply 1
Your uni may be able to delay accomodation/fee payments etc until you've got your loan. They may also be able to give you a short term loan or grant. Speak to them.
Reply 2
rob a bank. sell your cat. get an overdraft. Possibly the last one is the best.
Reply 3
Juno
Your uni may be able to delay accomodation/fee payments etc until you've got your loan. They may also be able to give you a short term loan or grant. Speak to them.

I have a private landlady. Luckily I think I may be able to defer payments because I've paid the rent ahead. If my application has been processed by the French government I'll get a rebate on my rent, so hopefully she'll have discounted that already. This means I won't have to pay any rent for a month or two.
Reply 4
lady W
rob a bank. sell your cat. get an overdraft. Possibly the last one is the best.

I've spent my overdraft. I'm tempted to take out a second.

Latest

Trending

Trending