The Student Room Group

aqa biology unit 5......synoptic essay

does anyone hear know where i could find a bunch of sample essays people have writen?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
..?
Reply 2
Reply 3
?.!
Old AQA papers unit 6 I believe

We've had to do a load in lessons and I think thats where they came from
some examples

'variation and its biological importance'
'cells are easily distinguished by their shapes. How are their shapes related to their functions?'
and
'The role and importance of nzymes in the functioning of cells, tissues and organs'
you could have some of mine but a new paper, you have no chance. we have been given a booklet of essay questions and mark schemes. just try and get something in from every unit and make sure some is plants and some are animals!! i'm not liking the thought of it to be honest but...
^^ yorkshire :yy:

Ye you must get at least 1 plant example in otherwise they cap how many marks you can get...and when we did the practise ones I lost relevance marks for going too deeply *cough, just waffling for ages* into the same point
Reply 7
mmmm....but is there any websites? Besides the aqa one?
Reply 8
raceforthefishman
Old AQA papers unit 6 I believe

We've had to do a load in lessons and I think thats where they came from
some examples

'variation and its biological importance'
'cells are easily distinguished by their shapes. How are their shapes related to their functions?'
and
'The role and importance of nzymes in the functioning of cells, tissues and organs'

the enzyme question would be nice, but the other too i would know where to start, what did u write for them?? also i seen one that was about negative feed back, what would u write for that??

thanks
Reply 9
Here are a couple i have:
The process of diffusion and its importance in living organisms
Mutation and its consequences
How the ultrastructure of different cells is related to their functions
The properties and importance of enzymes in plants and animals
Photosynthesis and its importance in ecosystems
The roles of carbohydrates in living organisms
How substances are transported from one organism to another, both in animals and plants

I have a few more and the mark schemes for them all if anyone needs it. Im really not looking forward to this bit of the exam :frown:
Reply 10
Kimnjinx
How substances are transported from one organism to another, both in animals and plants

I have a few more and the mark schemes for them all if anyone needs it. Im really not looking forward to this bit of the exam :frown:

Hey i was wondering if i could get the mark scheme off you please, im really rather worried about this exam. thank you :smile:
Reply 11
Kimnjinx

Hey I would also like the markscheme if thats ok! I am dreading the essay :unsure: the whole paper actually!
Reply 12
Kimnjinx

Could i have the mark scheme also please, really really dreading writing the essay:frown:
Reply 13
Kimnjinx

hi could i have the mark scheme awell, thank you
Reply 14
My teacher told me to start with 4 big topics for the essay, which means think if something relevant from Unit 1, 2, 4 and 5. For example if you get the question "the process of diffusion and its importance in living organisms"

I'd start with:
1. Diffusion, fick's law, Osmosis (just a type of diffusion) just an explanation of it really and absorption in the small intestine (sodium ions diffuses into the lumen) (Unit 1)
2.Gas exchange, fish, plants, insects how they exchange gases using diffusion (unit 2) and as an extra exchange in the lungs (unit 1)
3. Photosynthesis - oxygen diffuses out a waste product and CO2 diffuses in to the cells and into the chloroplasts to join with RUBP and that importance (unit 4) and go on to say how important photosynthesis is..
4. Passage of an action potential (involves potassium ions diffusing in) How neurotransmitters diffuse across the synaptic cleft (unit 5)

Then anything extra that you can think of.

Hope this helps anyone, i find it a useful way of planning
:woo: :biggrin:
Liv--
My teacher told me to start with 4 big topics for the essay, which means think if something relevant from Unit 1, 2, 4 and 5. For example if you get the question "the process of diffusion and its importance in living organisms"

I'd start with:
1. Diffusion, fick's law, Osmosis (just a type of diffusion) just an explanation of it really and absorption in the small intestine (sodium ions diffuses into the lumen) (Unit 1)
2.Gas exchange, fish, plants, insects how they exchange gases using diffusion (unit 2) and as an extra exchange in the lungs (unit 1)
3. Photosynthesis - oxygen diffuses out a waste product and CO2 diffuses in to the cells and into the chloroplasts to join with RUBP and that importance (unit 4) and go on to say how important photosynthesis is..
4. Passage of an action potential (involves potassium ions diffusing in) How neurotransmitters diffuse across the synaptic cleft (unit 5)

Biology mad, the synoptic bit, click on that bit.
Reply 17
Liv--

I'd start with:

That is actually a really good technique! It should certainly help to ensure that breadth is met!
Reply 18
ColyTom
That is actually a really good technique! It should certainly help to ensure that breadth is met!
Breadth, according to the Unit 8 Mark Schemes essentially meant you cover 4 topics. Doesn't have to be one from each chapter. For example, how would you "Negative Feedback and it's importance" from all four chapters?
Reply 19
Fusilero
Breadth, according to the Unit 8 Mark Schemes essentially meant you cover 4 topics. Doesn't have to be one from each chapter. For example, how would you "Negative Feedback and it's importance" from all four chapters?

Thats a good point but if you get a really vague question, then one from each chapters is good way to think about it. AQA are going to want to see some AS material looking at the specimen mark scheme so it depends on what the questions are. What i'd do is look at the question at the start of the paper, jot down topics that link, go through the paper to see if any of the Chapter 5 stuff has any revelence and add it in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending