The Student Room Group

Becoming a clinical psychologist...

hi, i really think being a clinical psychologist would be for me, but have i got a realistic chance of becoming one? what would be the options if i fail? I am currently in the first year of sixth form and i am predicted A/A* in psychology and B,B in Biology and chemistry. how hard is it to become a clinical psychologist? would a biology degree have more career options?

thanks I'm really torn at the moment. :s-smilie:
It's ridiculously hard to get into - I think there's something like 60 masters places (you have to do a masters to be a registered clinical psych) in the entire country, and to get on it you have to have relevant experience, which is also very hard to get. You'd need to do a Psychology degree to even start considering it and you'd need to get a very good degree out of it as well. Have a look on the BPS website about it :yy:
kiss_me_now9
It's ridiculously hard to get into - I think there's something like 60 masters places (you have to do a masters to be a registered clinical psych) in the entire country, and to get on it you have to have relevant experience, which is also very hard to get. You'd need to do a Psychology degree to even start considering it and you'd need to get a very good degree out of it as well. Have a look on the BPS website about it :yy:

This is wrong, you do not need a masters to do clinical psychology.

However, you DO need a 3 year DClin Psych which is very difficult to get onto. Like above poster said, you need lots of experience so the earlier you start the better!
easter_bunny
This is wrong, you do not need a masters to do clinical psychology.

However, you DO need a 3 year DClin Psych which is very difficult to get onto. Like above poster said, you need lots of experience so the earlier you start the better!

Sorry, my bad. I don't really understand anything past Undergrad! :o:
Don't do it.

/thread.
GodspeedGehenna
Don't do it.

/thread.

You grumpy sod :p:
kiss_me_now9
You grumpy sod :p:

:biggrin:
Have a look at www.clinpsy.org.uk to get more information on Clinical Psychology :smile:

Latest