The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've never heard of a semi automatic car. I'm not sure of the answer myself, but I'll bump this for you :smile:
Reply 2
CherryCherryBoomBoom
I've never heard of a semi automatic car. I'm not sure of the answer myself, but I'll bump this for you :smile:

Has gears but no clutch.

To OP, sorry I have no idea.
CJN
Has gears but no clutch.

To OP, sorry I have no idea.

Yeah, I Googled it already, but thanks anyway :smile:
I'm quite sure a manual driver can drive anything tho.
Reply 5
madeline06

no you cant
Reply 6
Isn't a 'semi-automatic' just an automatic? My car has no clutch, but it is possible to use the gearstick manually - there's just, like, a button thing that you press to move the stick up and down. But I just leave it as it is, since I learnt in an automatic anyway.

But, no, you can't, in answer to your question.

As a side note, I learnt in an automatic (and took my test in one), yet have a manual driving licence. :woo:
Reply 7
An automatic is classed as a car without a manual clutch. A semi-automatic has gears but no manual clutch, so yes, you can drive it.
Reply 8
mum has this car that can be manual but if she puts the gear stick left its automatic easytronic maybe ?!?! she only has an automatic license and can drive it
dont know if its the same thing in which case this post is a bit random but if it is then yes?
jeh_jeh

As a side note, I learnt in an automatic (and took my test in one), yet have a manual driving licence. :woo:

How does that work? Wouldn't you have to learn in a manual to be able to gain a manual licence? Otherwise, how can you know how to drive a manual? :curious:
I thought only ferraris had semi automatics.
does it have flappy paddles behind the wheel?
DarkWhite
An automatic is classed as a car without a manual clutch. A semi-automatic has gears but no manual clutch, so yes, you can drive it.

THIS

So you can drive anything as long as it has no clutch pedal, even where you have to physically change gear, with the gear stick, paddles etc.
AntiMonarchist

There aren't many semi-automatics out there tbh - Smart cars are also semis, but eh, I can't stand them lol
AntiMonarchist

You get a fair few, but yes they tend to be quite upmarket makes. Jaguar do some, Mazda and Nissan offer some, Ferrarris and Lambos... They're coming into fasion a bit more nowadays.
Reply 14
Volkswagen were making semi-automatic Beetles as long ago as 1968 :biggrin:

All the other makers are playing catchup...
Reply 15
Yet another reason to buy an old VW...

Shame that semi-autos are like rocking horse ****.

Will
Reply 16
Hehe, Yeah i have my 2 seat convertible smart roadster, Semi-Automatic :biggrin:, but i only really use it in automatic mode. Althought i do have a full manual license
Reply 17
Semi-automatics are the same as automatics, except you can choose to switch gears if you wish.

There's no clutch
Reply 18
CherryCherryBoomBoom
How does that work? Wouldn't you have to learn in a manual to be able to gain a manual licence? Otherwise, how can you know how to drive a manual? :curious:

Mistake by the woman who passed me, I assume. I'm never gonna drive a manual, though, because I physcially can't, so I never saw the point of getting it changed.
Reply 19
Naffy
Semi-automatics are the same as automatics, except you can choose to switch gears if you wish.

There's no clutch

Not always, on the '68 to '76 VW's as mentioned above, there is no clutch per se, but you have to change gear. It does not change gear automatically like modern cars, just takes away the need for depressing a clutch pedal.

Im sure that 'modern' semi's are like you say.

Latest

Trending

Trending