The Student Room Group

Edexcel iGCSE Biology Exam

I had this exam last Friday, it wasn't that bad just so freaking annoying no year 11 stuff came up and instead things like albino mice came up

Howd everyone else who did this exam find it?
Yeah I think it went ok except wasn't so sure about that chromosome question but otherwise I think it was ok but I don't know whether I did enough for an A* though.
Do you know how much the practical paper is worth?
Reply 2
yeahh, its 50 marks. They do something like add both the papers marks up and convert to ums then grade it I think.

But im doing the physics and chemistry practical papers :biggrin:
afshan93
yeahh, its 50 marks. They do something like add both the papers marks up and convert to ums then grade it I think.

But im doing the physics and chemistry practical papers :biggrin:

The theory paper is 80% and the practical paper is 20%
Sorry to bump "oldish" topic but I was dying to talk about this one.

What a BS exam paper. I was INFURIATED LIKE ARGHHHHH
I swear I was a little Biology Genius the two nights before. I knew about synapses too and all those blood vessels and hormones.

And THEY CAME UP WITH TWO PAGES OF FISH FARMING?!! And NOTHING about the eye!

I thought the albino mice was kind of cute though...I had lots of extra time so I drew those two mice on my scrap paper.
Pudding Milk
Sorry to bump "oldish" topic but I was dying to talk about this one.

What a BS exam paper. I was INFURIATED LIKE ARGHHHHH
I swear I was a little Biology Genius the two nights before. I knew about synapses too and all those blood vessels and hormones.

And THEY CAME UP WITH TWO PAGES OF FISH FARMING?!! And NOTHING about the eye!

I thought the albino mice was kind of cute though...I had lots of extra time so I drew those two mice on my scrap paper.

Fish Farming is on the specification - you should have revised it :confused:
mastermind_107
Fish Farming is on the specification - you should have revised it :confused:

I know it was...and I did revise for it, but who'd have thought they placed THAT much importance on fish farming. Sure it's more practical, but I'd feel prouder of myself knowing about other things rather than that. you can't deny it was a total waste and a huge disappointment for those who studied their butts off and knew the whole syllabus off by heart.
Pudding Milk
I know it was...and I did revise for it, but who'd have thought they placed THAT much importance on fish farming. Sure it's more practical, but I'd feel prouder of myself knowing about other things rather than that. you can't deny it was a total waste and a huge disappointment for those who studied their butts off and knew the whole syllabus off by heart.

The way I see it, they can only test you on certain things on the syllabus - if fish farming came up, then it came up. Plus, they are able to test us on anything that is on the syllabus and although I agree with you (it is a complete waste of time), anyone who studies well for any exam should know everything on the syllabus.
mastermind_107
The way I see it, they can only test you on certain things on the syllabus - if fish farming came up, then it came up. Plus, they are able to test us on anything that is on the syllabus and although I agree with you (it is a complete waste of time), anyone who studies well for any exam should know everything on the syllabus.

I am basically angry because I did practically all the past papers there were available, and the one we had for 2010 was the one that tested the least out of my knowledge from the course. All the other ones had Genetic engineering and all that...I was just angry that fish farming came up because I didn't put full focus onto it like the hormones, digestive system and all the harder ones.

Btw do you know if one of the answers was "Urinary system" or "Excretory system"? I Put Urinary but my friend (And she's the best student in my whole year and got accepted in 7 Oaks) put excretory.

I just wished they put more in the test so that I didn't study for nothing. Nearly everyone had more than 1 hour of free time.
Pudding Milk
Btw do you know if one of the answers was "Urinary system" or "Excretory system"? I Put Urinary but my friend (And she's the best student in my whole year and got accepted in 7 Oaks) put excretory.

I wouldn’t have put excretory system :erm:. The kidneys, ureters, bladder and the urethra are all involved in excretion, sure, but so are the skin and lungs. They’re all involved in the excretion of urine specifically so they're collectively called the urinary system.
Cappuccinoes
I wouldn’t have put excretory system :erm:. The kidneys, ureters, bladder and the urethra are all involved in excretion, sure, but so are the skin and lungs. They’re all involved in the excretion of urine specifically so they're collectively called the urinary system.

Our spec says it's the urinary system but in biological terms, either will do, so I think it just depends on how harsh the mark scheme is.
Reply 11
Is anyone taking the Chemistry paper 3 exam on Friday? If so, how are you revising for it? I'm self-taught and annoyingly the specifications for Chemistry and Physics don't tell you what experiments you should be able to recall unlike the one for Biology, so I'm not sure if I'm covering the right stuff. Just thought I'd ask since you've done Biology at IGCSE so you might know about the other IGCSE science exams.
Inertia_
Is anyone taking the Chemistry paper 3 exam on Friday? If so, how are you revising for it? I'm self-taught and annoyingly the specifications for Chemistry and Physics don't tell you what experiments you should be able to recall unlike the one for Biology, so I'm not sure if I'm covering the right stuff. Just thought I'd ask since you've done Biology at IGCSE so you might know about the other IGCSE science exams.

Metal Displacement Rules (i.e reactivity series).

Rates of reaction always comes up and the collision theory.

Titrations, along with the different colours indicators go in acids/alkalis.

Oh and all the stuff from section 2j - the different tests for cations/anions and gases and the other things.

These are things I think will come up, having looked at past papers.

I must emphasise that I can take no responsibility if the paper turns out to be completely different :biggrin:
Hey,
Sorry but I was just wondering if anyone could check this for me:

Bromine is orange when aqueous, dark red when liquid and has a red-brown vapour
Iodine is dark red when aqueous, dark grey when solid and has a purple vapour

Thank you! :smile:
Worrier12345
Hey,
Sorry but I was just wondering if anyone could check this for me:

Bromine is orange when aqueous, dark red when liquid and has a red-brown vapour
Iodine is dark red when aqueous, dark grey when solid and has a purple vapour

Thank you! :smile:

Yep, all correct as far as I can see.
mastermind_107
Yep, all correct as far as I can see.

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 16
Ahh that exam tomorow. I'm just working my way thorugh the past papers on edexcel

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/igcse-leg/4335/Pages/default.aspx
heyy i was wondering if you guys are all doing igcse english..what anthology is likely to come this time round?
Reply 18
Sorry to bump this but has anyone got the paper, I really need it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending