The Student Room Group

WJEC English Lit on tuesday?

Scroll to see replies

I actually enjoyed that exam, it was fine. Didn't like the unseen poetry question much, but I think it went alright.

I did Questions a) and b) on both. The "give the actress playing Sheila advice" was easy because I do loads of drama, wasn't a big fan of say how Boo contributed, but I put in how Boo represents a mockingbird etc.
Reply 41
i just did that exam too :smile:
it wasnt as bad as it could have been
i did the question about Boo Radley and the one about 'how does JB Priestly keep the audience throughout the play'
the unseem poem was a bit odd i linked it to god and the meaning of life :smile:
Reply 42
I did the Boo Radley mockingbird question, which I found really easy. Then I did the interest of the reader Inspector Calls question, which wasn't too bad. I was looking forward to the poetry question, but the poem was really quite dull, I thought!!

The exam went fine for me though, I got my timings perfect etc. Fingers crossed for a good result!
Reply 43
It went quite badly for me. I didn't write enough for Silas Marner, and although the Romeo and Juliet questions were okay, I don't think I did as well as the mock. I made one massive mistake too that probably dragged my mark down. I liked the unseen poem, but I wrote absolute rubbish. I wrote about rhetorical questions and said I liked it. That was it. And I finished it with literally this sentence "....it certainly made me consider what I will do with my "wild and precious" life!" Yes, with an exclamation mark. *facepalm*
I keep thinking of stuff I should've said, and it's depressing. Was the poet supposed to be religious or not? I couldn't tell.

Hopefully the Welsh Literature one won't go as badly. Or chemistry tomorrow. =/
Reply 44
Dusty12
It went quite badly for me. I didn't write enough for Silas Marner, and although the Romeo and Juliet questions were okay, I don't think I did as well as the mock. I made one massive mistake too that probably dragged my mark down. I liked the unseen poem, but I wrote absolute rubbish. I wrote about rhetorical questions and said I liked it. That was it. And I finished it with literally this sentence "....it certainly made me consider what I will do with my "wild and precious" life!" Yes, with an exclamation mark. *facepalm*
I keep thinking of stuff I should've said, and it's depressing. Was the poet supposed to be religious or not? I couldn't tell.

Hopefully the Welsh Literature one won't go as badly. Or chemistry tomorrow. =/

I did the following:

TKAM:
a) Mood and Atmosphere- Rambled on about stuff from the extract like the irony of Mr Ewell not knowing what ambidextrous was and saying he could use both hands as good as each other.

b) Boo Radley's importance- Said about how he started off as a 'malevolent phantom' who dined on 'raw squirells' and was important only in the eyes of the childrens playtime activities. But when they learned Atticus's maxim about walking about in someone elses skin they learned lessons from Boo, compared him to the 'sin to kill a mockingbird' quote and also his importance of anti-prejudice and saving the children's lives.

Inspector calls:
a) Audiences attitudes towards Eric- Said about sympathizing with him when he said 'You know, don't you?' etc, being "miserable" and his alcoholism and agressive tones.

b) Advice to Sheila- Said at the beginning how melodramatic she acts, how gutted during her 'interrogation', dramatic change of character after her questioning and how 'fierce' she acts towards Gerald/Sybil and how she is the only one except Eric to truly appreciate the morals from the Inspector.

Poetry:
Messed this up really, didn't really interpret it well, just said how she asked 'deep' philosophical rhetorical questions, using repetition for effect, the layout looked like grass if you tip it on it's side resembling the grasshoppers location, how I enjoyed the imagery and felt like I was there even though I was sat in an exam hall. Also the 'fall down' was on the end of a line, possibly suggesting that the words fell down to the next.

I didn't write LOADS, about a page per poem/question A and a page and a half for B, although they were compact, smallish handwriting too.

I had A* for coursework, but looking at everyone else here, I think I'll be lucky to scrape a B :'(
Reply 45
Ah, don't worry about it. I did different texts so I can't comment on those, but your poetry still seems better than mine anyway.

An overall A* in WJEC Eng.Lit. seems really difficult. I think it would've been impossible for me because I didn't get an A* in the coursework, but even if I did, I'd have to do really well in the exam. It's annoying. I love the subject, but I don't do well under the necessary pressure. =/
Reply 46
Dusty12
Ah, don't worry about it. I did different texts so I can't comment on those, but your poetry still seems better than mine anyway.

An overall A* in WJEC Eng.Lit. seems really difficult. I think it would've been impossible for me because I didn't get an A* in the coursework, but even if I did, I'd have to do really well in the exam. It's annoying. I love the subject, but I don't do well under the necessary pressure. =/

I agree about the A*, I think it was 90% which is crazy really, only dropping 7 marks in the exam. Crossing my fingers for an A!

I think it was probably the poetry and lack of length in the b)'s that let me down to be honest.
Reply 47
jbeach09
I agree about the A*, I think it was 90% which is crazy really, only dropping 7 marks in the exam. Crossing my fingers for an A!

I think it was probably the poetry and lack of length in the b)'s that let me down to be honest.

I know! And it's not really a subject where you can be confident and sure of marks either.

I think the same things let me down. And the fact that I mistook the Shakespeare extract for the scene that is "often omitted". I said "I can see why one might omit this scene in a stage production" or something though. I suppose it isn't technically wrong, just incorrect in a vague kind of way.:s-smilie:

better revise chemistry now. =/
Reply 48
Dusty12
I know! And it's not really a subject where you can be confident and sure of marks either.

I think the same things let me down. And the fact that I mistook the Shakespeare extract for the scene that is "often omitted". I said "I can see why one might omit this scene in a stage production" or something though. I suppose it isn't technically wrong, just incorrect in a vague kind of way.:s-smilie:

better revise chemistry now. =/

Well good luck, hopefully you'll at least grab the A :biggrin: I need to stop thinking about it now, because it can't be changed. Would still love it someone doing my texts, would have a quick look at what I put above and contrast it with theirs though (cough :biggrin:)

Egh, same D: have fun!
jbeach09
I think I did okay?

Did a) & b) in TKAM and Inspector, so advice for sheila and how did boo contribute as a whole, wasn't keen on the poem but said about repetition, rhetorical q's, the 'zooming' in on the grasshopper etc D:

Woop i did somethin right :biggrin: I said about the rhetorical q's and the repetition on the poem too and also mentioned the attention to detail on grasshopper.
Reply 50
vedderfan94
Woop i did somethin right :biggrin: I said about the rhetorical q's and the repetition on the poem too and also mentioned the attention to detail on grasshopper.

I said how she asked 'deep' philosophical rhetorical questions, using repetition for effect, the layout looked like grass if you tip it on it's side resembling the grasshoppers location, how I enjoyed the imagery and felt like I was there even though I was sat in an exam hall. Also the 'fall down' was on the end of a line, possibly suggesting that the words fell down to the next.

Hope that was right D:
jbeach09
I did the following:

TKAM:
a) Mood and Atmosphere- Rambled on about stuff from the extract like the irony of Mr Ewell not knowing what ambidextrous was and saying he could use both hands as good as each other.

b) Boo Radley's importance- Said about how he started off as a 'malevolent phantom' who dined on 'raw squirells' and was important only in the eyes of the childrens playtime activities. But when they learned Atticus's maxim about walking about in someone elses skin they learned lessons from Boo, compared him to the 'sin to kill a mockingbird' quote and also his importance of anti-prejudice and saving the children's lives.

Inspector calls:
a) Audiences attitudes towards Eric- Said about sympathizing with him when he said 'You know, don't you?' etc, being "miserable" and his alcoholism and agressive tones.

b) Advice to Sheila- Said at the beginning how melodramatic she acts, how gutted during her 'interrogation', dramatic change of character after her questioning and how 'fierce' she acts towards Gerald/Sybil and how she is the only one except Eric to truly appreciate the morals from the Inspector.

Poetry:
Messed this up really, didn't really interpret it well, just said how she asked 'deep' philosophical rhetorical questions, using repetition for effect, the layout looked like grass if you tip it on it's side resembling the grasshoppers location, how I enjoyed the imagery and felt like I was there even though I was sat in an exam hall. Also the 'fall down' was on the end of a line, possibly suggesting that the words fell down to the next.

I didn't write LOADS, about a page per poem/question A and a page and a half for B, although they were compact, smallish handwriting too.

I had A* for coursework, but looking at everyone else here, I think I'll be lucky to scrape a B :'(

All that is kinda like what I said :smile: for the mood and atmosphere, I said the long, winding sentences of Atticus getting the pen out created tension, and then as Bob Ewell starts to try and defend himself for being left-handed, the sentences are long but broken up with commas to show urgency, desperation and anger.

For Boo - he shows some of the main themes such as innocence, empathy and intolerance, watches the children grow up, shows us how Scout gains empathy - from believing the rumours at the start to being able to recap the whole novel from Boo's point of view at the end, up until the point where "Boo's children needed him again". Woo we both got the "sin to kill a mockingbird" in then, thought I was the only one and wrong for it :o:

Eric - goes from negative attitudes as he seems selfish and resorts to petty insults such as calling Sheila a "sneak", to sympathetic when we see how dependent he is on drinks, and then negative again when he talks with very little emotion of his meeting with Eva, to sympathetic again when he has a sudden burst of what seems to be regret.

How to play Sheila - I think the main thing was the transformation, which you got - before the interrogation she is arrogant, condescending, girlish, giggly, spoiled and immature, but once she realizes that her actions have consequences, she transforms from a girl who thinks the world revolves around her into a young woman who realizes that other people can suffer the consequences of your actions, and that as the Inspector said, we are all responsible for one another.

I got an A* for coursework, hoping to get an A in this exam, don't think I'll get an A* :p:
Reply 52
madders94
All that is kinda like what I said :smile: for the mood and atmosphere, I said the long, winding sentences of Atticus getting the pen out created tension, and then as Bob Ewell starts to try and defend himself for being left-handed, the sentences are long but broken up with commas to show urgency, desperation and anger.

For Boo - he shows some of the main themes such as innocence, empathy and intolerance, watches the children grow up, shows us how Scout gains empathy - from believing the rumours at the start to being able to recap the whole novel from Boo's point of view at the end, up until the point where "Boo's children needed him again". Woo we both got the "sin to kill a mockingbird" in then, thought I was the only one and wrong for it :o:

Eric - goes from negative attitudes as he seems selfish and resorts to petty insults such as calling Sheila a "sneak", to sympathetic when we see how dependent he is on drinks, and then negative again when he talks with very little emotion of his meeting with Eva, to sympathetic again when he has a sudden burst of what seems to be regret.

How to play Sheila - I think the main thing was the transformation, which you got - before the interrogation she is arrogant, condescending, girlish, giggly, spoiled and immature, but once she realizes that her actions have consequences, she transforms from a girl who thinks the world revolves around her into a young woman who realizes that other people can suffer the consequences of your actions, and that as the Inspector said, we are all responsible for one another.

I got an A* for coursework, hoping to get an A in this exam, don't think I'll get an A* :p:

Sounds good :biggrin: What did you put for the poem? Also how much do you think you wrote for each question, because that part's worrying me!

Same :P good luck!
jbeach09
Sounds good :biggrin: What did you put for the poem? Also how much do you think you wrote for each question, because that part's worrying me!

Same :P good luck!

Erm I put that it sounded like a prayer, that the poet was asking deep questions, that the poem's effect on me was that it made me think about what I wanted to do with my life, that I thought the message was that so often we rush through life, making plans and feeling disappointed if we don't reach our expectations, we should just calm down and spend "idle" days, doing nothing. I think I did it wrong though :frown:

I wrote a page for TKAM a), about two for TKAM b) and the same for the Inspector Calls ones - a page for the first, two for the second, and about a page and a half for the poem. Good luck!
Reply 54
Original post by zaidf
Does anyone have any ideas about the questions that might come up? I've been told that Crooks or Curley's wife will probably be the character question for Of Mice and Men.

You were wrong. I read this post near two years ago and only revised for questions about Crooks and Curley's wife. I got a D and couldn't get into sixth form. If it's the last thing I do...I will find you.
Reply 55
Original post by Biffmanz
You were wrong. I read this post near two years ago and only revised for questions about Crooks and Curley's wife. I got a D and couldn't get into sixth form. If it's the last thing I do...I will find you.

Crooks came up ... I suggest it was your lack of ability which got you that D.
Reply 56
Original post by zaidf
Crooks came up ... I suggest it was your lack of ability which got you that D.

D for delicious.
Reply 57
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending