The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In succession in the climatic stage is there a wider variety of plant species cos it says that in my book but in a past paper I did it said there were less :eek3: which one?

And the exams at 1 isn't it? I'm scared i'll miss it

Hows everyone feeling by the way
InLuvWthAFairytale
In succession in the climatic stage is there a wider variety of plant species cos it says that in my book but in a past paper I did it said there were less :eek3: which one?

And the exams at 1 isn't it? I'm scared i'll miss it

Hows everyone feeling by the way

Natural succession

Think of a plain plank of wood.

Climax community: This is the stable community that is reached, beyond which, no further succession occurs.

Some lichens or something like that will start growing on it, when this decomposes, it will prodce soil which can support photosynthetic green plants, and it goes on and on, I think the climax community in forests would be trees essentially.

Yes the exam is at 1
Reply 122
A bit nervous...scared about the essay questions and genetics.

I think in a climax habitat there's more variation - in the pioneer stage there's only a few plants that can cope with the conditions.
I haven't done much this morning, just taken it easy...Maybe I should of revised.
Tobinobin
A bit nervous...scared about the essay questions and genetics.

I think in a climax habitat there's more variation - in the pioneer stage there's only a few plants that can cope with the conditions.

In forests, the climax community will be just trees so it will be less diversity
I thought climax communities were more diverse?
JoshCurran
I thought climax communities were more diverse?

Me too... but apparently not :frown:
Reply 127
garlicbreadman
In forests, the climax community will be just trees so it will be less diversity

Hmm looking at it from real life and not books - what has a more diverse range of plants - the shores of a wind swept shoreline or a deciduous forest? Clearly the latter. But if someone will correct me please do and point to evidence :smile:
In geography you do succession too and i'm pretty sure we were always told it was more diverse in the climatic stage...
Stupid SQA
InLuvWthAFairytale
In geography you do succession too and i'm pretty sure we were always told it was more diverse in the climatic stage...
Stupid SQA

Is that from a practice paper? I noticed one of the practice papers had a mistake saying diversity falls in the climax community. It's definitely a mistake because all the other questions from past papers been asked on that has said diversity rises :p:
JoshCurran
Is that from a practice paper? I noticed one of the practice papers had a mistake saying diversity falls in the climax community. It's definitely a mistake because all the other questions from past papers been asked on that has said diversity rises :p:

Yeah thank you :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :woo:
climax community has:

greatest plant diversity
greatest biomass
most complex food chain
and is self perpetuating(cannot be replaced by anything)
SQA and their silly practice papers shouldn't be allowed to confuse us so close to the exam!
Anyway I'm offsky folk. Good luck all :smile:
Reply 134
Bah it's only a minor concern anyway :smile:

Just a pointer to people - when it asks for the base strand or whatever from DNA to tRNA you need to convert it to mRNA THEN tRNA - or just swap the thymine groups with a uracil group. Some people (me *cough*) just convert it to mRNA stupidly.

PS: when 2 TP is lost in photosynthesis and 12C goes to 15C RuBP - where do 3 carbons go to?
Reply 135
IM SITTING MY BIO EXAM FOR 10' IN 2 HOURS :redface: :redface: :redface:
Another quick remember point, ATP doesn't provide energy for cellular processes/mitosis (which is what I always put, and is technically right). SQA like it to TRANSFERS CHEMICAL ENERGY, and I guess we should probably do it their way!

Yeah, I'm not really gone, I realised I had more time to sit about wasting! :P:

Latest

Trending

Trending