The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Blu3j4yw4y
Yes that's a very emotional picture and yes I feel guilty, but it's irrelevant to the dicussion.

Not really. We're talking about should today's society apologise for slavery and yet it's still dominant in the world today...
No. I don't remember ever being involved in slavery my self, so why should anyone need to appologise on my behalf for something people did hundreds of years ago.

And if we did, i will in return expect appologies from the romans, vikings and the bloody ice age for screwing us over centuries ago.
No we shouldn't be sorry, we don't condone it, we don't think it was right, we weren't here to stop it, we aren't carrying it on.
Yes we can accept that it is part of our history, and we should not be proud of that but how can we be sorry, we haven't done anything, we didn't stand back and watch it happen then? If your great-great-grandfather murdered someone, you might be ashamed, but you were not there to change things, you bear no responsibility.

There is modern day slavery and we should not be excused for being passive about that, if you are disgusted by our history, you should make a move to change what is still going on in places around the world today, neglect of that issue is the only thing that should be on our conscience.
All apologies can be inboxed to me. :smile:
Reply 64
I don't think we should at all. It wasn't us present day who commited it.
Reply 65
APOLOGISE NOW!, As you can see the dilema is in who are we supposed to apologize to?
Maybe we should, we benefit to this day from the profits of their enslaved labour.
individuals shouldnt

nations should.......
Reply 68
Paul Bartram
I dont think we should - it wasn't the modern day us who decided to use slaves, so we had no say in the matter.

No but the PM represents the country, and he doesn't loose anything by apologising.
I think its good, but now that it has been done it is best to let the issue lay to rest.
NB

It's worth pointing out that when people say modern day Britons should apologise, they mean modern day white people.
Reply 70
Blu3j4yw4y
We're talking about whether today's society should apologise for nineteenth century slavery, not today's

In fact, even if we were talking about todays, I still don't think apologising is helpful. Not like saying sorry is going to fix anything is it? It would be rather demeaning to act as if apologising was some significant action that they should appreciate.

My point is that it would be hypocritical of us to apologise for the past slavery whilst watching the same happen throughout the world today.

And to say that as a society we now object to slavery isn't really accurate, is it? There's still millions of slaves throughout the world and nations such as our own are happy enough just to stand back and watch, while putting our hands out to take the goods they provide.
FyreFight
NB

It's worth pointing out that when people say modern day Britons should apologise, they mean modern day white people.

That's a pretty big assumption, which frankly, isn't true.
Hannah45
Really?

yeah but they make such good footballs for a fiver
Reply 73
greatmonte
individuals shouldnt

nations should.......

Nations are a grouping of collective individuals.
Jeremy_Whiskers
That's a pretty big assumption, which frankly, isn't true.

Should modern day black people have to apologise to their ancestors for the slave trade, or to themselves?
Tiberius
Nations are a grouping of collective individuals.

Thank you for that lesson :rolleyes:
yes but no one should be forced to take individual responsiblity im saying that leaders of involved nations should apologize on behalf of a countries past actions.
Reply 76
greatmonte
Thank you for that lesson :rolleyes:
yes but no one should be forced to take individual responsiblity im saying that leaders of involved nations should apologize on behalf of a countries past actions.

The leader is the elected representative of the people. He would be apologising on behalf of all the collective individuals of the nation - thus going back to the original issue.
Tiberius
The leader is the elected representative of the people. He would be apologising on behalf of all the collective individuals of the nation - thus going back to the original issue.

yes the representative of the nation should apologize not the individuals as they should not take the burden of that......however to clear a bad past between nations....should apologize as a diplomatic effort
Reply 78
Tiberius
You probably remember when Ken Livingstone tearfully made an apology:

And other groups and individuals have also apologised or called for Britain to apologise. Such as the man who shouted at the Queen and Tony Blair and the Lifeline Expedition group who travelled to Africa in chains and 'so sorry' t-shirts...

Spoiler

Spoiler

But do you think, generally, present-day Britons should apologise for slavery?

You can't apologise for what youre ancestors have done.
However, you can try to take the responsibility and help the slaves descendants today

RickRoll
Surely, an apology won't replace aid money but symbols are hugely important. Regarding Germany: what about the Warschauer Kniefall? Brandt was in no way involved in Nazi crimes or otherwise forced but still chose to kneel down. It didn't bring any Jew back to life but it showed his attitude towards the Nazis and their crimes and contributed to the rapprochement to eastern Europe.
Imo Germany does cope much better with its history than Britain does.

It's worth mentioning that many Germans disagreed with Brandts Kniefall at that time.
Reply 79
No.

Latest

Trending

Trending