The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am second year so I can't speak for 3rd year but mainly the marking gets more stringent and there is more expected of your work than in first year rather than content getting more difficult:smile: .
Reply 2
Can I just ask, did you get your username from that maths computer game? I remember my primary school having it.
Third year is a bitch. The other two aren't bad.
Although I dont know....doesnt it vary between courses??
Reply 5
First year was a total doss, second year I got away with dossing as much as in first year (but only got 56 as a consequence), third year is crazy, SO much work, so much stress, so much to do, espesh if you're like me and sucked in your second year, trying to drag everything up to a final 2.1 is really difficult. Though if you don't work many hours at a job and stay organised you'll probably be fine, I've worked 20-23 hours a week throughout my third year + voluntary work so it's been tough cramming everything in + social life/relationship/down time and so forth.

But yeah, third is like 1+2 x 5 in terms of difficult in my personal experience!
Third year is haarrrrd, first year is a bit of a doddle, second year isn't that that much harder...
My workload for the second year was huge compared to the first.
.phantom
third year is crazy, SO much work, so much stress, so much to do, espesh if you're like me and sucked in your second year, trying to drag everything up to a final 2.1 is really difficult. Though if you don't work many hours at a job and stay organised you'll probably be fine, I've worked 20-23 hours a week throughout my third year + voluntary work so it's been tough cramming everything in + social life/relationship/down time and so forth.

I have 20 hours a week of lectures alone and I'm only in 1st year =/ I really don't think 20-23 hours a week is much at all...Considering this term I've been doing lectures + at least 2 or 3 hours a day private study and I'm still struggling to keep up, maybe I'm just stupid but I think that's only half the story...

Anyway, I'm expecting next year to be a total nightmare.
Reply 9
Second year's not too much harder for me than 1st year.
But first year was hard.
Reply 10
You Failed
I have 20 hours a week of lectures alone and I'm only in 1st year =/ I really don't think 20-23 hours a week is much at all...Considering this term I've been doing lectures + at least 2 or 3 hours a day private study and I'm still struggling to keep up, maybe I'm just stupid but I think that's only half the story...

Anyway, I'm expecting next year to be a total nightmare.

Oh, I mean working at a job, not uni work! Though to be fair, I've only been in actual lectures for about 3-5 hours a week in third year. LOADS to do outta lectures though!

I'd recommend people save up in second year/first part of third year so they can afford not to work in the final semester of uni, if possible. It wasn't for me but I'd have done so much better if i hadn't worked so much.
.phantom
Oh, I mean working at a job, not uni work! Though to be fair, I've only been in actual lectures for about 3-5 hours a week in third year. LOADS to do outta lectures though!

I'd recommend people save up in second year/first part of third year so they can afford not to work in the final semester of uni, if possible. It wasn't for me but I'd have done so much better if i hadn't worked so much.

Ah right, that makes a lot more sense =P
Reply 12
You Failed
Ah right, that makes a lot more sense =P

Lol yeah. Part of me thinks it woulda been cool to be in uni that much, would have felt a lot more like a fulltime pursuit and not just a few classes alongside my normal working/social life. But I probably would have gotten bored of it too...
Reply 13
I haven't found second year to be too bad. I think that's cos I panicked all the way through first year though and made myself ill so this year I've got more used to things and so not been as stressed. I've got the same amount of lessons but I've been expected to do more preparation for them and I've found I have a lot more homework but the difficulty hasn't gone up a great deal.

Some of my language marks have even improved whereas others (addditional modules beside my languages) have got worse. I got a first in first year but think I'll get a 2:1 this year. I would advise actually studying in first year though, not just passing because even if it doesn't count towards your degree it's good practice and the grades you're getting now will indicate what you should be getting/aiming for in second year and it will motivate you.
Reply 14
Very HARD!!!!! I've just finished my final year and first year seems so easy! In first year the tutors are more lenient with marking, referencing etc and when it comes to final year they're strict and precious marks are deducted for incorrect referencing etc etc.

Theres tooooo much work in final year too, its like one deadline after the next. :eek3: you give one peice of coursework in and the next assignment is ready for you to do!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
ansh25
Very HARD!!!!! I've just finished my final year and first year seems so easy! In first year the tutors are more lenient with marking, referencing etc and when it comes to final year they're strict and precious marks are deducted for incorrect referencing etc etc.

Theres tooooo much work in final year too, its like one deadline after the next. :eek3: you give one peice of coursework in and the next assignment is ready for you to do!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

This happened to me recently, I was gutted that I didn't recheck my references. It serves me right though.:p:
Reply 16
*Star*Guitar*
Third year is a bitch. The other two aren't bad.

This.
I've heard from the year above that 2nd year for my degree is the hardest because it's where we do loads of serious learning after the first year which brings everyone up to speed. As a result there's a massive jump in workload between year 1 and 2 and then the change in workload between 2 and 3 isn't much larger. I've certainly found 2nd year a bit of a struggle.
.phantom
First year was a total doss, second year I got away with dossing as much as in first year (but only got 56 as a consequence), third year is crazy, SO much work, so much stress, so much to do, espesh if you're like me and sucked in your second year, trying to drag everything up to a final 2.1 is really difficult. Though if you don't work many hours at a job and stay organised you'll probably be fine, I've worked 20-23 hours a week throughout my third year + voluntary work so it's been tough cramming everything in + social life/relationship/down time and so forth.

But yeah, third is like 1+2 x 5 in terms of difficult in my personal experience!

thanks- I found this really helpful :smile:
Third year has so far been a total ******* bitch.

First year is practically a joke compared.

Latest

Trending

Trending