The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I didn't notice THAT much difference - yes, a gradual rise in standard, but nothing too unexpected.
The worst thing about 3rd year is, for me, that even when you find time to go out and have fun, there's always this thing in the back of your mind telling you that you need to be working.

Consequently I haven't been relaxed all year.
Reply 22
geetar
Can I just ask, did you get your username from that maths computer game? I remember my primary school having it.

Haha yes i did, best game ever
*Star*Guitar*
Third year is a bitch. The other two aren't bad.

This . . 3rd year is defo a bitch . .
Reply 24
Bubbles*de*Milo
Third year has so far been a total ******* bitch.

First year is practically a joke compared.

Says in you sig that you are in your 2nd year
I'm doing Accounting & Economics; in my first year... Well finished now but anyway.

Literally just read up on the modules I'll be doing in second year and the work looks soooo intense lol. I am actually quite nervous about it. But we'll see how it goes.
In most course, the workload gets greater and greater each subsequent year.
Reply 27
Had a first year student inform me that she was told that 'the third year BSc PSychology is easier than the second year'. WRONG. Third year is harder not only because more is expected from students but it is tough because the dissertation zaps up all your time. I had from Oct - April to complete the damn thing AND revise for tests/exams. Finals exams were held in May.
Reply 28
Ilovewords
thanks- I found this really helpful :smile:

You're very welcome! Just stay on top of things, remember everyone's in the same boat and know what you're working towards.

I found it really helpful to do some quick maths figuring out what I needed for my overall goal, like working out what average you need in each module to get a 2.1. in my case. Then adjusting it once you know grades for modules in first semester etc.

And start writing your dissertation really early, seriously, it's not intimidating if you do a subject you love, and if you give yourself time and space you can do really well and have a great score to drag other poorer modules up. If you leave it to the last week like a few of my friends did you'll be panicking, rushing, lose loads of marks through shoddy referencing or missing out/adding extra words you don't have time to notice, etc. I wish I'd started the reading in the summer before final year.
Focus08
Says in you sig that you are in your 2nd year

I am. Typo.
most british students are lazy and spend their time drinking and partying
if you are serious about work the difficulty increase is minimal

fyi, i have completed a degree at a university and I'm doing my second one starting this october.
Reply 31
GoldenTriangle
most british students are lazy and spend their time drinking and partying
if you are serious about work the difficulty increase is minimal

fyi, i have completed a degree at a university and I'm doing my second one starting this october.

You are so awesome.
Reply 32
.phantom
You're very welcome! Just stay on top of things, remember everyone's in the same boat and know what you're working towards.

I found it really helpful to do some quick maths figuring out what I needed for my overall goal, like working out what average you need in each module to get a 2.1. in my case. Then adjusting it once you know grades for modules in first semester etc.

And start writing your dissertation really early, seriously, it's not intimidating if you do a subject you love, and if you give yourself time and space you can do really well and have a great score to drag other poorer modules up. If you leave it to the last week like a few of my friends did you'll be panicking, rushing, lose loads of marks through shoddy referencing or missing out/adding extra words you don't have time to notice, etc. I wish I'd started the reading in the summer before final year.

I feel like writing these words down somewhere to pin up when uni starts, it'll only be my first year but - I'm so good at procrastinating it's unreal. Thanks for the motivation :smile:
Reply 33
Gez1990
I feel like writing these words down somewhere to pin up when uni starts, it'll only be my first year but - I'm so good at procrastinating it's unreal. Thanks for the motivation :smile:

Haha do it! I just pulled an all-nighter to finish a 4k essay on 'indeterminacy', now it's 4pm, I just got up, and I still have to polish, reference, and then START revising for a 9.30am exam tomorrow. And I'm not even the most unorganised person in my year :p: My head's banging and I've ran out of food... don't be me! :yep:
Reply 34
Oh and at the beginning of writing my dissertation I wrote myself a little motivational note at the top of the page saying Woooh come on you can do this, you know your subject, it'll be great just get stuck in... half to make myself feel better and half to start the word count off lol... *massive geek* worked though :smile:
The harder you work in first year the easier you'll find the following years. If you doss in your first year or do the minimum then you'll have to put more effort in in the following years to keep up to scratch (plus you'll have to re-discover your work ethic from somewhere after a year+ dicking around)

Latest

Trending

Trending