The Student Room Group

Help figuring out my UCAS Points

Hi, could any one help me work out the minimum grades I need to get into one of my offers? The main thing I'd like to know is if AS grades are counted seperately or are merged into A2, if so how many points will a total A level be equal to? I've heard aa lot of different opinions on this all saying different things so any help would be appreciated :smile:

I have two conditionals offers, my firm has said,

"This offer is subject to you obtaining a minimum 240 points from the UCAS Tariff Scheme, including 2 passes at A Level"

Would my B from AS count as 50 points to this goal? Or is it completely discounted?

Thanks for any help, I'm freaking out about getting enough points!
Reply 1
Are you carrying on the subject to A2?

If so, no your AS will not count.

If not, yes, it is 50 points.

:smile:
Reply 2
^ Agree, the B counts as 50 so you need 190 or more from your A2 subjects including at least 2 Es or higher.
I think your AS will count, but you'll still have to get the two passes at A Level on top of that.

For instance, you could get BB at A2 [100 points each], and then the 50 points from the AS will give you your required 240 points. :yep:
Reply 4
Sorry I should of said, yes i am carrying on into A2, but is doesn't make any sense to me that if you carry on AS levels into A2 that your AS grades are completely worthless.

Also because the offer said "240 points from the UCAS Tariff Scheme" I thought that it would mean all of my grades. As I have seen other people with offers like "A minimum of 260 UCAS Tariff points from at least 2 A Levels" which would mean there is a difference in uni's wanting points from just A levels or not. Am I wrong?
Reply 5
Carrying on a subject to A2 does not make the AS grade worthless and this is why points are twice as much for A2 subjects. The 240 must come from the subject you took at AS only (if any) and then the subjects you are taking at A2. The at least 2 A levels thing means 2 subjects at A2 plus points from other A2s and ASs. I'm not sure what you are not understanding, you have 50 points and you need 190 more.
SongsOfFreedom
As I have seen other people with offers like "A minimum of 260 UCAS Tariff points from at least 2 A Levels" which would mean there is a difference in uni's wanting points from just A levels or not. Am I wrong?

You aren't wrong. Universities set their own entrance requirements. The very best ones don't use the tariff scheme at all (they just ask for specific grades); most that do use it insist on a minimum number of full A levels included in the points (though often it is three A levels, not two as in your case); others (the desperate ones) just let you count all the odd AS qualifications, horse riding certificates and so on that you might be able to scrape together.

The tariff scheme counts an AS as half an A level (even though the hardest part of the A level is in the A2 modules). Allowing you to count an AS in a subject as well as the full A level would give you the equivalent of one and a half A levels, which is obviously not really on, is it?
Reply 7
Thankyou everyone for your help. I think I get it now, and it means I am completely screwed! :no:

Ah well at least now I know. Thanks again.

Latest

Trending

Trending